Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

On 04/04/2019 at 17:47, CD_93 said:

No longer need to wait.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17551818.rothwell-ahead-of-chapman-in-rovers-pecking-order-mowbray/?c=p8ahz

Tells me all I need to know about Saturday's team and the team for the rest of the season. "There was a starman playing on the right but he's destined to play on the left but won't now because of that other chap I haven't been playing all season."

I have willed and wished and prayed for Mowbray to do well here. But I can't make sense of his decision making any more. Absolute bollocks - but I still hope I'm wrong.

I will hold my hands up and say that I have since changed my vote to Stay given where we are approaching the end of the season. At the time I wasn't wrong about my feeling for the upcoming teamsheet and I didn't need to be an oracle to know the words "Travis dropped, Smallwood and Evans come in" weren't going to improve our chances of ending that poor run against Stoke (Lenihan had been back for a few weeks, so that alone wasn't enough to improve things). It seemed that things wouldn't change. In his own words, we have since been playing a more possession based game - with an extra attacker on the pitch, a more commanding defense and with a less stagnent midfield - and it both shows and is delivering results. It's far from perfect. But it's vastly improved and a much better watch. Bennett's cameo last match was almost a small reminder that there's lots of work to do.

It feels a long time ago that Mowbray said that this is how he wanted the team to play. It felt like the transition was never coming. I hope now that he sees that it's worth sticking with and we have exciting young players to build around in the summer - even if it means dropping some loyalists long-term or for good.

It's not definitive and granted it's at the wrong end of the season for us now, but we have played teams above and below us with more consistency and taken the maximum points we have deserved. With all this scouting talk, I'm ready to see what happens in the summer and reassess after the window.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

And your bleating about us spending £10m is equally pedantic as a good £7m of that committed spend hasn’t even affected our performances this season. The hope is that it will effect next seasons and beyond. 

The point I was making was that in spite of the squads being very similar in terms of ability and capability one has been lauded in the media and the other castigated purely because of when they had their good runs. The two managers have basically achieved the same result but the perceptions swayed.

I would have liked to think that " a good £7M of  that" spending would have affected our performances  this season, and in a positive way. I thought that was the whole point of a football club spending money on transfers.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I know - I wanted to say

”lol you’re doing it you daft get!”

but I restrained myself

Good job you did restrain yourself or else you’d be in Royal Blackburn as we speak. ;) :lol: 

It's almost a pointless discussion regarding Mowbray's position on here. 100% of posters could vote for him to be fired and nothing would happen unless the Chicken Chokers wanted it to him gone. We aren't like any other club in that respect. Even the other clubs fans with idiot owners get to vent their spleen at these owners in person from time to time. Our owners might as well be on Mars for all the impact we can have on them. So really we're all wasting our breath. If massed fan pressure couldn't get Kean sacked the owners obviously pay us no attention at all.

My opinion hasn't changed because I still have grave doubts about Mowbray's ability to bring in the players we need in the Summer. In my opinion he's got as many wrong as he as got right, some of his signings have been really poor.  If he gets that right I may alter my thinking.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Jim's not happy. He's just done another BRFCS-related tweet. He's not obsessed though which is the main thing.

Chabby was always a bit poisonous. 

I only posted the screenshot in here as it makes me laugh how serious they are about their disdain for all of us “Halfwits” on this website... Jim’s crying because a few rovers fans on Twitter have been going on Bolton’s website and voting for Lowe as their player of the year, I don’t personally think there’s anything malicious in that and I can see the funny side.. I also see the funny side of the rovers fans tweeting about how good a player Lowe was and that he should be left alone and not subject too any sort of ridicule. People take social media way too seriously.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I find whinging about people taking screenshots of discussions on here, by taking screenshots of their discussions elsewhere fascinatingly ironic if not a bit hypocritical 

I didn’t whinge though at all? I just said I might change my vote from stay to go just too piss chaddy and his new mates off.. I was joking. No irony or hypocrisy from me thankyou. 

If we cast aside the end of the relegation season (Coyle's fault) Mowbray is currently on an upward trajectory. Little sense in disrupting that at the moment. He's definitely done enough to give him another season and 2 transfer windows. A defining summer I'd imagine as no one can deny the positions we need filling. His transfers have been hit and miss like Tyrone has said so here's to hoping his centre back is a hit......

Just now, Butty said:

I only posted the screenshot in here as it makes me laugh how serious they are about their disdain for all of us “Halfwits” on this website... Jim’s crying because a few rovers fans on Twitter have been going on Bolton’s website and voting for Lowe as their player of the year, I don’t personally think there’s anything malicious in that and I can see the funny side.. I also see the funny side of the rovers fans tweeting about how good a player Lowe was and that he should be left alone and not subject too any sort of ridicule. People take social media way too seriously.

Are people actually getting offended at that? Bolton, as in the fans who bombarded our club with phone calls when we got relegated? Jeeeeesus - you can't make it up! I think his generation coined the term "snowflake" but have since took on the mantel themselves.

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

If we cast aside the end of the relegation season (Coyle's fault) Mowbray is currently on an upward trajectory. Little sense in disrupting that at the moment. He's definitely done enough to give him another season and 2 transfer windows. A defining summer I'd imagine as no one can deny the positions we need filling. His transfers have been hit and miss like Tyrone has said so here's to hoping his centre back is a hit......

Are people actually getting offended at that? Bolton, as in the fans who bombarded our club with phone calls when we got relegated? Jeeeeesus - you can't make it up! I think his generation coined the term "snowflake" but have since took on the mantel themselves.

I'm not offended I'm just amazed that people can be bothered doing things like that, it's just sad.

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

And your bleating about us spending £10m is equally pedantic as a good £7m of that committed spend hasn’t even affected our performances this season. The hope is that it will effect next seasons and beyond. 

The point I was making was that in spite of the squads being very similar in terms of ability and capability one has been lauded in the media and the other castigated purely because of when they had their good runs. The two managers have basically achieved the same result but the perceptions swayed.

But the point is that we have committed 7m on a player not able to contribute in the season following his signing that even those defending him have in the main acknowledged that could have been spent elsewhere more efficiently. The fact that it hasnt affected this season is exactly the point people have made. Ultimately, was the team at a stage of its development considering glaring weaknesses elsewhere to splash out the majority of a very healthy budget on a player unable to contribute at all in the short term at all barring a goal after our division for next season has long since been guaranteed? No. Should expectations increase when the manager is given such a fee to spend in the first place? Certainly.

Where have you got the impression that Rovers have been castigated in the media and Preston lauded? Thats what I dont understand. Alex Neil has been defensive even in todays media of their current league position, suggesting that expectation was to be higher as they were last season.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not offended I'm just amazed that people can be bothered doing things like that, it's just sad.

Tit for tat though. What you may find sad others don't. They absolutely hounded our phone lines under Steve Kean and are now on the receiving end of something similar.

Anyway to tell the truth I aint bothered. If people are sad for doing it then people are even sadder for giving rise to it.

1 hour ago, CD_93 said:

I will hold my hands up and say that I have since changed my vote to Stay given where we are approaching the end of the season. At the time I wasn't wrong about my feeling for the upcoming teamsheet and I didn't need to be an oracle to know the words "Travis dropped, Smallwood and Evans come in" weren't going to improve our chances of ending that poor run against Stoke (Lenihan had been back for a few weeks, so that alone wasn't enough to improve things). It seemed that things wouldn't change. In his own words, we have since been playing a more possession based game - with an extra attacker on the pitch, a more commanding defense and with a less stagnent midfield - and it both shows and is delivering results. It's far from perfect. But it's vastly improved and a much better watch. Bennett's cameo last match was almost a small reminder that there's lots of work to do.

It feels a long time ago that Mowbray said that this is how he wanted the team to play. It felt like the transition was never coming. I hope now that he sees that it's worth sticking with and we have exciting young players to build around in the summer - even if it means dropping some loyalists long-term or for good.

It's not definitive and granted it's at the wrong end of the season for us now, but we have played teams above and below us with more consistency and taken the maximum points we have deserved. With all this scouting talk, I'm ready to see what happens in the summer and reassess after the window.

Exactly, by being braver with our lineup and tactics - our defense has benefited greatly. Previously we would line up with 2 x DMs and just pass it around before lumping it up to DG and hoping Dack he can pick up the pieces. By simply removing those two DMs and having Travis/Reed and Travis/Rodwell that are far better on the ball going forward and by playing a possession based game without the 2.5 attacker system so skillfull/pacey gamechangers, Dack, Rothwell, and Armstrong - we're basically pushing teams back rather than inviting them on to us. 

It's no coincidence that our defense has been better because of this - Lenihan coming back is also massive. 

More of the same please, let teams worry about us and not the other way round a bit more.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, J*B said:

Chaddy was conspiring to create situations or say things explicitly to wind people up on here in his PMs. Chaddy isn't ever coming back. Jim is still viewing on his account which isn't banned, but not posting.

I don't think he's real, no one is that thick. 

• Moderation Lead
On 23/04/2019 at 23:43, Paul Mani said:

All about perception. They had a dodgy start but came on strong = a great season.

We started well and faded away = fail

In actual fact we’ve done well. As have Preston on a very similar budget.

PNE similar budget to us? Think your calculator is broken mate ?

• Like 2

On 24/04/2019 at 19:28, Mattyblue said:

Everyone around me was absolutely delighted when he scored and it must have been the largest cheer of the season when the PA fella announced him as the scorer.

People will always have an opinion, it used to just be in the pub or over the garden fence, however it’s now largely online. He’s had fantastic support at games and that’s all that matters.

It reminded me of when Ripley scored after about 12months without a goal. People were genuinely pleased and relieved for him.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 17:44, Pedro said:

It reminded me of when Ripley scored after about 12months without a goal. People were genuinely pleased and relieved for him.

Haha yeah, bit longer than 12 months though, he scored in April 1994 against Southampton, and his next goal was in December 1997 against West Ham. Was a great moment.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Haha yeah, bit longer than 12 months though, he scored in April 1994 against Southampton, and his next goal was in December 1997 against West Ham. Was a great moment.

Wow, seriously?? Poor Rippers. I remember the relief and genuine happiness for him very well but didn't realise it was that long.

Feck me! at 113 (stay) - 115 (go) it's just like BREXIT :-0

I must admit that during the daaark days of Feb and March I felt that the sword of Damocles was over old Tone's neck, but that the resurgence since then has made me feel that perhaps there is a stronger rationale for stability than to bring in (yet another) messiah at this stage.

And, just like the BREXIT fiasco, the story is going to run on into the summer and autumn before anything is resolved either fecking way.

A good result on Sunday might even tip the balance in his favour... we shall see.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Biz said:

Do you reckon it’d be different if it wasn’t anonymous? 

Hard to say, if you left it a season it would flow up and down.

Would be interesting to see the difference if it wasn’t anonymous (I didn’t realise it was to be fair) as people may be less keen to be seen to change their mind but really there’s nothing wrong with changing an opinion based on reviewing what’s going on.

In fact it’s worse when someone makes their mind up about something and does whatever they can to prove that point, we’ve seen that too often on here 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Mowbray has done a lot of good in the last few weeks.

The question is whether he has truly seen sense or is paying lip service.

A lot depends on who he signs, and who goes in the Summer. This is Mowbray’s most important window yet. He has had three very different ends to the last three seasons: relegation, promotion and consolidation. This is the first one where he gets to have a second attempt at the same scenario as the previous season.

It needs to be a positive window. Hopefully it will be a successful one. It’d be just like Venkys to change their tune now. I wonder how much the Brereton signing might affect their confidence in spending. Venkys need promotion. Mowbray will want another season building, I expect, and may again try to temper expectations.

• Like 5