Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Firstly, when the payments are made is irrelevant, and purely speculative, point is we have committed that level of money, a very healthy budget to at least somewhat improve the first team.

I don't see how his summer recruitment can be defended. We are within a process whereby Mowbray has repeatedly stated that the aim is to challenge for promotion. Following promotion, there is plenty of scope to improve a side, you are far from the point of development at a team that you can put all of your eggs into signing players seen as development players who in turn havent even provided serious competition, when its neglecting areas of the team that are not good enough for a progressive Championship side. 

You look at the individuals he has brought in, Reed is a successful albeit temporary signing, the Palmer situation on the flip side was handled poorly and has to be deemed as a failure. The Rodwell situation sums up how much of a priority he sees the defence as, reported interest in Bauer but his plan B was a midfielder who may well have proved a bargain in his natural position instead used unsuccessfully as a sticking plaster in our flimsy defence. Davenport may or may not exist and he has signed 2 attacking players in Rothwell and now Chapman who ultimately he has absolutely no trust in, and are quite clearly the polar opposite of what is in the Tony Mowbray manual of being a wide man. And the main bit, we only really have Graham as a central striker, to sign someone for 7m (with over 50 Championship appearances) who hasnt been able to put any pressure at all on an impressive but veteran striker is indefensible.

I don't see him moving away from his set way of playing Armstrong one side and Bennett/Conway/Reed while still here on the other, he mentioned that even today and seems insistent on sticking with his favourites even though its quite clearly failing him at the moment. In general, I suspect that it is incredibly naive to expect him to ditch all of his favourites in a summer overhaul. He is far too stubborn and loyal to players who this season have ultimately let him down (quality not effort) numerous times.

Also, he managed to combine conservatism (picking wide men for perceived and debatable defensive abilities) and a horrendous defensive record in incredible fashion.

And if he cannot do that then he will fall on his own sword. He knows what he needs to do. 

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

The problem is that with each passing game he misses the opportunity to put it right. He’s played an 11 of players from last season at the weekend. He’s shoehorned Bennett into a new position and dropped rothwell who was our best player from the previous game. He’s wasting opportunity’s to turn it around. It’s not fully about our dreadful form, if Tony plays the young players or flair players and drops the untouchables until the end of the season and tried to evolve the team then I’d be happy whatever the results. 

I’ll be honest the Rothwell thing is just bizarre. I think he’s a fantastic player and impacts the game every time he plays. Can’t get my head around why he doesn’t start.

• Like 6

I still struggle to accept we did anything but hit the bare minimum of expectations last year. The biggest budget, by some stretch and we finished second. Played weakened teams in games that would have won us the league.

I accept the attitude around the club has improved drastically, but I think theres an element of that happening regardless of who was in charge as long as the minimum expectation (promotion) was achieved. 

I do however think expectations will probably end up being hit this season - a middle-ish finish. My biggest problem is that we dont seem to learn. My position would be entirely based around what Mowbray is saying behind closed doors. If he isn't noticing the mistakes - lack of competition at right back, missing 2 start capable central defenders, a starting left back, central midfielders playing in central midfield, wingers with pace and power urgently required, support for Graham and perhaps most importantly, game management and fight - he would be in big big trouble.

Boring Tony has to go for me! Nice chap and has done very well in his time. However, since the hammering from Preston we've been nothing but shocking, players out of positions, worst defence in EFL. People forget we were lucky, with our win against Wigan. A penalty, and two awful defensive errors from their full backs. Hardly a stand out performance...

The manger has his favourites and I can't really see a massive improvement in the summer.

Boring Tony needs to go.

• Like 1

Stay for me - whilst I have my concerns about selection and recruitment, (makes me wonder why we had a dof then got rid ).

Mowbray can then reshape the squad in the summer, my big concern is both he and Venus played at the back, yet we do not seem to be able to rectify the mistakes. I think that is partly down to Mowbray and partly down to the poor quality of players we have. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I respect that you disagree. But I think it’s odd to suggest he ‘carried on’ picking awful players when those exact players were the ones who’d got us to within touching distance of the playoffs. Had he changed the side and the results gone down hill he would be being castigated for fixing something that was not broken. You make decisions and sometimes you get them right, other times you get them wrong.

Q - Had he started the season poorly and picked up after the first 10 games to come roaring back in the second half of the season do you think there’d be the same clamour for his head? Football is fickle and fans forget easily. 

Iv given my opinion. I respect yours. Agree to disagree?

Surely after the first 20 games you can tell if players aren't of the appropriate standard. He continued to pick those when he has a chance not to pick them. So he obviously isn't learning. 

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Also Mowbray appears to want to play 3 at the back.

He even picked 3 at the back when we had no fit senior CBs available. 

What is the logic in that.

To be fair, in that instance he did so to overcompensate for that fact, something I sort of understood.

Mowbray totally under-appreciates the intricacy of a 3 at the back formation however. When we played it v Newcastle Mowbray admitted that we hadnt really trained on it and it was a late decision.

If he does intend on moving to that formation then hes going about it the wrong way, nows the perfect platform to bed it in.

Look at Sheffield United, it works for them because their players play it every week and they know exactly how to play it.

26 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Also Mowbray appears to want to play 3 at the back.

He even picked 3 at the back when we had no fit senior CBs available. 

What is the logic in that.

And now we have 3 'centre backs' fit he goes back to a back 4, classic Mowbray.

So far it has been 2 x Go for every 1 x Stay.

From a statistical point of view we are good to extrapolate our 100 or so voters up to 10,000 with about 12% error margin at 95% confidence.

That said, it is a niche within a niche and the former official site would likely have given the opposite outturn.

It’s just interesting to get a feel for the mood of the sight. I actually thought it would have been a lot closer.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

From a statistical point of view we are good to extrapolate our 100 or so voters up to 10,000 with about 12% error margin at 95% confidence.

That said, it is a niche within a niche and the former official site would likely have given the opposite outturn.

It’s just interesting to get a feel for the mood of the sight. I actually thought it would have been a lot closer.

I am resistant to getting rid of TM.

I think he took a gamble, maybe keeping his powder dry for next year.

Yes, I have concerns re his recruitment-also his team selection and tactics, but I would be troubled if he got the push!

Like others, I would also have some trepidation about who might be paraded, as the most successful candidate!

Conflicted or what!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I can see what you mean but I don’t think this site represents all Rovers fans. I enjoy some of the topics on here but like it or loathe it this place has never been known for its upbeat positivity! 

I think I recall several posters peddling negative rhetoric on here right after we were promoted! Ha ha

Im genuinely not spoiling for a fight and I’ve learned to embrace it but bloody hell we can’t half moan! ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Surely after the first 20 games you can tell if players aren't of the appropriate standard. He continued to pick those when he has a chance not to pick them. So he obviously isn't learning. 

After the first 20 games we were on course for the playoffs mate. So what’s your point?

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I can see what you mean but I don’t think this site represents all Rovers fans. I enjoy some of the topics on here but like it or loathe it this place has never been known for its upbeat positivity! 

I think I recall several posters peddling negative rhetoric on here right after we were promoted! Ha ha

Im genuinely not spoiling for a fight and I’ve learned to embrace it but bloody hell we can’t half moan! ??

Which is exactly what I was pointing out.

22 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I think if you went to any clubs forums after picking up 4 points from 30 - they would have a large section of posters that were far from feeling positive about the situation. 

Feeling far from positive and calling for the head of the manager are two different things though. I’m feeling pretty far from positive. But I believe that after bringing  a positive, honest and hardworking mentality to my club. Gaining promotion and doing fantastically well for half this season, I can forgive Tony the last few weeks as long as he puts it right in the summer. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Feeling far from positive and calling for the head of the manager are two different things though. I’m feeling pretty far from positive. But I believe that after bringing  a positive, honest and hardworking mentality to my club. Gaining promotion and doing fantastically well for half this season, I can forgive Tony the last few weeks as long as he puts it right in the summer. 

My point still stands though. Okay, ill rephrase, I think if you went to any clubs forums after picking up 4 points from 30 - they would have a large section of posters that were calling for the managers head.

This board is often called negative compared to other clubs but as a regular visitor to many myself - you'll find plenty of similarities across the board. 

• Like 5