• Sam Allardyce
    • Diego Maradona
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Keep Mowbray
    • Steve Kean
    • David Dunn
    • Other (Mention)

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That could easily happen with this lot " in charge ".

He would be one of the main names linked and maybe get sounded out by those at the club but meanwhile in India someone from the very long odds cheapo bin would be being lined up.

McClaren would be a high profile positive appointment in comparison to the alternatives this lot could dredge up. These are the people who ignored McCarthy and appointed Henning Berg and ignored Warnock and appointed Coyle.

Talk of Jokanovic or Wagner is laughable, not because of who we are or where we are but because of who owns us and runs us. Hughes, Allardyce etc. far too autonomous and don't need the aggro.

It would either be Johnson or someone off the scrapheap like Paul Jewell or Brian McDermott.

For that reason I'd sooner take it as far as it can reasonably go with Mowbray and only axe him if things get untenable. 1 win in 17 represents that.

Venkys look for managers who:

a) Won't cost much money

b) Won't make big demands

c) Will be grateful for the opportunity

d) Will get on a plane to India to sort things out rather than rely on a proper structure

• Like 1

Wish this poll said "realistically" because as much as I'd want Jokanovic, I don't think he would come to Ewood. I think with Hughes stock being so low that is probably the best and most realistic choice so far. 

3 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Have we not learnt anything? The manager is not the problem, we know where the blame lies. 

Looking at the bigger picture I completely agree but many managers have been to blame for not getting the best out of what they have at Rovers, Bowyer being one and now Mowbray. 

3 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Have we not learnt anything? The manager is not the problem, we know where the blame lies. 

As much as I detest the ratbags we can't say they haven't given Mowbray something to work with. They continued to fund him in league 1, where he ultimately achieved an aim but no trophy, and have continued to bank roll him apprx £10m this year. They can't do much more. He's got talent coming out of the u23s, that they have funded for these years, and he's getting players signed onto decent enough contracts. As far as owners go they haven't exactly done much wrong since Coyle - although that fuck up was so monumentally huge it makes you wonder how "accidental" it all was....

The blame lies with Mowbray and the players. Managers live and die by their decisions and he has decided to play the way we are and sign the players he has - they may not be good enough but neither is he in that case

• Like 2

I'm not saying any of the choices are certainties or people who would want the job. If people want to pick out countless random names from abroad (some of whom are probably better than those on the list) or look at the lower leagues then that's what the "other" option is for. I imagine the only ones who might outright apply would be McClaren. I doubt Moore would bother since he was Voldemort's first team coach but he's there because he was recently fired. The others might not want to work for idiots and might feel they have earned (even those recently sacked) a position at a club with the minimum aim of promotion. That would include Jokanovic and Wagner. Then there's Rowett and Karanka but they might not want to work for such owners as people have stated.

Hughes was there because he's been mentioned by a few people. I don't think for a moment he would take it. I don't think his ego could take it unless it's someone with the immediate minimum aim of promotion.

Of course you have to take into account where any applications would come from. There's no reason people from abroad shouldn't be considered foreign coaches have been a success in the Championship recently. People in Scotland too perhaps since likes of Alex Neil and Jack Ross have come from there in recent years. I guess Sunderland aren't in the Championship but clubs like that won't be in L1 for long. 

The only ones I would be really enthusiastic about (with the owners and UEFA around it's almost impossible) would be Wilcox (or Maradona if it was still 2010). I've got nothing bad to say about Jokanovic, Wagner or Karanka though you could pick holes in them I guess. Not everyone who's been fired (at least if it's only once) should be considered a "one promotion hit" so to speak. Alex Neil at Preston North End for instance given another chance despite being fired at Norwich (where he was also promoted). 

Of course some people take issue with Wagner because he rested a few players. What about when Rovers played out that draw with Man United in 2011? That was blatantly not trying in last 20 mins at least those players who featured for Huddersfield at Birmingham probably tried to win. Of course you will probably say that only bothered me because it was Man United but regardless of who it was against Wagner's behaviour certainly didn't surpass that. Not to mention they won the playoffs.

I asked someone who's connected (and didn't think Mowbray would be sacked or resign) about certain names on poll and this was the response...

Jokanovic-Too dear

Hughes-No Way

Moore-Never

Rowett-Bad (not the exact word)

Karanka-Clown

McClaren-Bigger Clown

Wagner-Won't do Championship

So like I've said if you don't like the poll try coming up with a better one. Do you really think someone wasn't going to create a thread like this with the Mowbray poll as it stands?

Edited by Vinjay17

Of course if they were gonna appoint Maradona they probably would have done it 8 years ago. If you need to be reminded why he was included. Honestly can you imagine him somewhere like Newcastle it would be insane. Rangers or Celtic should have appointed him years ago. At least he's popular in Scotland and he would probably still win the league or finish 2nd.

This is what I wrote on my blog at the time...and yes I did suggest Maradona BEFORE Venkys arrived. During the brief period Syed looked legit and supposedly Maradona had just applied for Aston Villa job. As someone said to me earlier tonight Maradona on crack would still have been better than Steve Kean.

"A few months ago I suggested that Blackburn Rovers consider Diego Maradona as a possible replacement for Sam Allardyce.

The reaction was mostly laughter and mockery by people who simply could not see the merits of my argument for such an appointment.

Judging by news earlier tonight however it appears Venkys are thinking the exact same way.

Somebody with prestige and a global following is exactly what is required for Blackburn Rovers Football Club. For too long the club approach has been parochial and regional. The appointment of Maradona could put an instant end to the attitude that has held this club back for so long.

Venkys want the best for this club why not try for the biggest name around? He would be a marketing dream. The current management in the words of Anuradha Desai have not been proactive enough. They have been operating in a comfort zone. Its about time they either change their attitude or get a pink slip shoved in their face.

Now I know people question Maradona’s management but there would be other massive upsides to an approach. He does not have the reputation of a tactical genius. He may never be a tactical genius but he is the figurehead with the attitude that Blackburn Rovers has been lacking. As for his cheating against England I personally couldn’t give a damn. It was over 24 years ago its time people got over it.

As for Allardyce he was what was is. A good, competent manager but I’ve said all along he should be seen as a transitional appointment until the club gets a decent owner. He was Northern and boring. Maradona taking the chair of power at Ewood would not do the word sensational justice.

There are of course those who think this is lunacy. They clearly don’t want to raise the international profile of this club. They would rather spend year after year going on and on about tedious local obsessions. BORING.

Those people do not understand the concept of “thinking big.” They are the one who are the problem at this club. It is time for a new BRFC Attitude. An attitude that Jack Walker would have approved of.

Venkys may be about to fire the shot heard around the world."

...and you know what? If you look back at December 2010 a few people on here wanted him. Even some who normally have no imagination.

Edited by Vinjay17

10 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Have we not learnt anything?

Clearly not. We have been in this exact position before with Bowyer. If he beats Stoke all will be forgiven but we lose the next two then the pressure will grow. Mowbray has had more patience from fans that any manager before him.

The odd thing with the Venkys dynamic is that they funded us back to promotion from L1 and - according to Mowbray himself - wanted to throw money at it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Didn't Jokanovic turn down West Bromwich?

Why would he come here instead?

Didn't pay him what he's worth. Should've done so and backed him in Summer he's a top, top manager.

12 hours ago, john.leigh said:

Un f ing believable

Some people just can’t resist meddling where meddling ain’t required.

Patience.

Don't think Vinjay or anybody who has participated has much sway with Mrs D or Barry, the days of facebook consultation are gone (I hope). Same goes with the stay or go thread.

It is what it is, a thread on a supporters site about who they might like to see as manager in the future.

Save your outrage for next seasons, where will we finish thread when people don't choose 1st , 2nd or play offs. :)

Edited by perthblue02

4 points from 30 says it all, so not really sure why a few are still kicking up because discontent has well and truly set in with many. Managers are getting sacked for far for less. Its a pathetic run. It's not even solely the points though - we cannot defend, we're still trusting our league 1 side when its obvious they're not up to it, and players such as Rothwell that always seems to do well when he comes on rarely gets a start. Recruitment has not been good either and was actually non-existent in January when we had a chance to strengthen and make a push for the playoffs. We came out of that window weaker.

All that said, I am still not at the point where TM should go now but if he were to be shown the door or he left of his own will, I wouldn't be upset. If this run continues however, for the next few games and we pick up nothing - I see no reason why we shouldn't change before the summer and start a fresh. 

• Like 1