• Sam Allardyce
    • Diego Maradona
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Keep Mowbray
    • Steve Kean
    • David Dunn
    • Other (Mention)

1 hour ago, savage90 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mowbray does next season. 

Warnock Wagner and Farke didn’t do much in their first seasons in this league with Cardiff Huddersfield and Norwich.. Well Farke and Norwich finished 12th which I suppose would be harsh too be critical of... But Mowbray must surely know expectations will be higher next season, most of us would have taken survival at the start of the season and although 4 points from 30 is an absolute joke, if he goes about the transfer window in the right way this summer and gives the squad the overhaul it needs, I think those who either want him gone now or are doubtful about his position here will give him the benefit of the doubt and get behind him and hopefully a new look squad at the start of next season.. I don’t want him gone but i’d say I’m definitely a part of the “doubters” camp with our recent form and everything else, I’m holding back on any judgment until the start of next season and the end of the transfer window. There’s not even the slightest murmurings of his job being under threat so as much some of you want him gone, it won’t happen anytime soon. This thread and suggesting new managers is pointless and a bit disrespectful too Mowbray really as the guy is still in a job here, and I truly believe he will want too get it right this summer and next season.. If any of Williams Smallwood Conway or Bennett are in the starting lineup for the first game next season then we can re-open this thread ? but until then, we should back him and also pray that we have a good summer window and get some of that optimism back we all had from the end of last season up too January of this year going in too next season.  

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Butty said:

Warnock Wagner and Farke didn’t do much in their first seasons in this league with Cardiff Huddersfield and Norwich.. Well Farke and Norwich finished 12th which I suppose would be harsh too be critical of... But Mowbray must surely know expectations will be higher next season, most of us would have taken survival at the start of the season and although 4 points from 30 is an absolute joke, if he goes about the transfer window in the right way this summer and gives the squad the overhaul it needs, I think those who either want him gone now or are doubtful about his position here will give him the benefit of the doubt and get behind him and hopefully a new look squad at the start of next season.. I don’t want him gone but i’d say I’m definitely a part of the “doubters” camp with our recent form and everything else, I’m holding back on any judgment until the start of next season and the end of the transfer window. There’s not even the slightest murmurings of his job being under threat so as much some of you want him gone, it won’t happen anytime soon. This thread and suggesting new managers is pointless and a bit disrespectful too Mowbray really as the guy is still in a job here, and I truly believe he will want too get it right this summer and next season.. If any of Williams Smallwood Conway or Bennett are in the starting lineup for the first game next season then we can re-open this thread ? but until then, we should back him and also pray that we have a good summer window and get some of that optimism back we all had from the end of last season up too January of this year going in too next season.  

The team is continiously backed on a match day so its a little unfair to even mention that. Wanting a manager out and expressing that (with potential replacements) on an internet messageboard and backing the team on a match day are not mutually exclusive. 

Ultimately the main flaw of the viewpoint that he will get it right in the summer and rectify our problems is that he got it so wrong last summer so what makes people think that will significantly change? Hes even unwilling to constructively experiment now when weve nothing to play for. Mentioning alternative formations he wants to play yet wastes a perfect time to start using them. And continues with the same old players when they are neither working short term nor are they the answer long term.

12 hours ago, Butty said:

Warnock only took over in October in his first season with Cardiff, who were struggling at the time.

He kept them up, (comfortably), and won promotion the following season.

Mowbray has awarded new contracts to three of the players you mentioned, so I would imagine they will all remain in and around the first team.

12 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Ha, just looked at the results for the poll and some chap called Keep Mowbray has won!

Also, seems that Jason WIlcox is a preferred choice over Mourinho!

Although Wilcox does occupy the "realism" trifecta of himself, Johnson & McClaren so there is that.

It is a rather random list. I know there are some that might be a little unrealistic but some suggestions ala Mourinho are just well....

I think he started clutching at straws once he he got down to Souness. I mean Big Sam, Maradona? Mourinho, David Dunn and Steve Kean? 

3 hours ago, martonrover said:

Warnock only took over in October in his first season with Cardiff, who were struggling at the time.

He kept them up, (comfortably), and won promotion the following season.

Mowbray has awarded new contracts to three of the players you mentioned, so I would imagine they will all remain in and around the first team.

Also worth mentioning Cardiff were awful. Beyond awful when Warnock took over and one of the weakest teams in the division. 

The question of managers' performances is of trajectory and is it upwards or downwards. Hard to say TM isn't on a downward spiral at the moment.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Also worth mentioning Cardiff were awful. Beyond awful when Warnock took over and one of the weakest teams in the division. 

The question of managers' performances is of trajectory and is it upwards or downwards. Hard to say TM isn't on a downward spiral at the moment.  

Is it?

This photo was taken 8 weeks ago today.

(We’ve had a two week international break too)

5571DA95-F0BB-43D7-ABD7-7C6E1EF91DC1.jpeg

I reckon Mogga wouldn’t be without his suitors.

Unlike anyone we are likely to get in as a replacement.

Although if he got the boot now I’d excuse him for becoming so jaded with the game that he’d never want to manage again.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Is it?

The 4 points from 30 may suggest otherwise. The last 2 windows being fluffed too... Heck I've written a list on another thread - have a look at that for all the reasons I think he's on a downward spiral. 

Granted we had a good Jan with 4 wins (I think?) But overall 2019 and the back end of 18 has seen a lot more downs than ups. There'll always be a few blips or positives even with a good/bad manager - beating Manure under Kean and Dalglish's last few league games before we got promotion are 2 blips in trend that immediately spring to mind, but I don't see any compelling evidence that we are heading in the right direction. And not sure stats or events overall back up a positive outlook. 

• Like 2

Apologies, I thought you were referring to career trajectories...

Dont think we need to go over again all of the points you mention!

I’ll learn to do that readin comprehension innit.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Is it?

Worst thing that could have happened. Ultimately it has saved our season but the safety net effect has pervaded its way into the psyche of the team. It also gave us a false sense of security and likely stopped Mowbray from strengthening, and probably also convinced him we could cope without Downing.

8 defeats in 10 games since he posed for that picture.

• Like 1

Obviously people are free to discuss what they want here, but personally I think these type of polls (as well as the other threads) discussing Mowbray out will get very boring if they go on all summer. Ultimately he will be here next season and that's the bottom line cos Madame Desai said so! 

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Obviously people are free to discuss what they want here, but personally I think these type of polls (as well as the other threads) discussing Mowbray out will get very boring if they go on all summer. Ultimately he will be here next season and that's the bottom line cos Madame Desai said so! 

I get that it’s likely in preemptive response to the question of “well who else would be any better” but personally I thought a next manager thread/poll was too soon and a bit crass given  that there isn’t currently a vacancy.

• Like 1

If.

Big if.

If...

...Mowbray isn’t the man...

Then it has to be Johnson for me. I feel he could continue the good elements of what Tony has done, and he won’t be long off eyeing a top job somewhere in the pyramid.

Latterly Hughes (who I feel is yesterday’s man), and certainly Karanka - are now chequebook managers.

Jokanovic is a pipe dream, as is Wagner.

We have a good crop of exciting young players, and have invested in younger players around the 18-24 year old range, and it needs to be someone who understands what the club is all about, that understands that responsibility, why we keep throwing millions into our academy, and is not in it just for personal gain.

Get rid of Mowbray, get it wrong, and it could go tits up again BIG style.

You know what they are like.

They struck gold with Mowbray, mainly as a man, and in the fact he understood how much of a fuck up of a club we were in every department, and how disillusioned we were as fans - and that we were unsalvageably destined for league one, bankruptcy, or worse.

There is a good foundation there now.

But I’m very worried after today.

It was utter dogshit.

And I haven’t really trusted anyone else with the keys to the managers office since Sam.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

As I've stated there could have been more continental names on the poll but where do you pick them out from? I don't know exactly why Norwich City appointed Farke (as I haven't read up on it much) but it's clearly worked out as have other foreign coaches recently. Does anyone really think Waggott has the scope or imagination to scour the continent (won't even get started on Raos) and try to figure out where someone like Farke, Wagner (when he joined Huddersfield), etc could come from? Then of course there's Leeds who managed to attract a big name in Bielsa. I don't think that's likely under the current regime let's not even bother making comparisons to what Wolves have done. 

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 2

If.

Big if.

If...

Then it has to be Johnson for me. I feel he could continue the good elements of what Tony has done, and he won’t be long off eyeing a top job somewhere in the pyramid.

Latterly Hughes (who I feel is yesterday’s man), and certainly Karanka - are now chequebook managers.

We have a good crop of exciting young players, and have invested in younger players around the 18-24 year old range, and it needs to be someone who understands what the club is all about, that understands that responsibility, why we keep throwing millions into our academy, and is not in it just for personal gain.

They struck gold with Mowbray, mainly as a man, and in the fact he understood how much of a fuck up of a club we were in every department, and how disillusioned we were as fans - and that we were unsalvageably destined for league one, bankruptcy, or worse.

It was utter dogshit.

And I haven’t really trusted anyone else with the keys to the managers office since Sam.

They struck gold with Mowbray because he has completely shut the dissenting fans up.

Good post though.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

As I've stated there could have been more continental names on the poll but where do you pick them out from? I don't know exactly why Norwich City appointed Farke (as I haven't read up on it much) but it's clearly worked out as have other foreign coaches recently. Does anyone really think Waggott has the scope or imagination to scour the continent (won't even get started on Raos) and try to figure out where someone like Farke, Wagner, etc could come from? Then of course there's Leeds who managed to attract a big name in Bielsa. I don't think that's likely under the current regime let's not even bother making comparisons to Wolves. 

Changing manager is the biggest gamble you can take.

In nearly a decade Venkys have had a decent spotter of players (with a good budget) fall into their lap via Bowyer, and made one good decision at the time in TM.

So one out of six or something?

The best chance would be an “in the club falls into their lap” situation again.

Edited by S8 & Blue

If.

Big if.

If...

It was utter dogshit.

So we can't afford to get it wrong and yet you'd go with Johnson who has never managed before?

We would either need to go down the route of experience of this level with recent success in it (not one season 10 years ago) or alternatively have the conviction to unearth a foreign gem like Norwich, Huddersfield and Middlesbrough did. The first of those requires a big chequebook as those managers are sought after and can name a higher prices, the second group require a plan and brains at the top of the club to know what to look for and cast the net wide enough to find it. Neither will happen.

Just now, Stuart said:

They struck gold with Mowbray because he has completely shut the dissenting fans up.

Good post though.

Cheers.

Its not to be sniffed at though.

He shut them up by signing Dack, Smallwood, and Armstrong. Jacking Steele for Raya. By shipping out the likes of Lowe and giving the captaincy and a consistent centre half berth to Mulgrew.

He built the right team and right spirit and belief for League One and that carried through to the first six months of this season.

I wouldn’t have trusted Appleton, Coyle, Berg, Black, Lambert or even Bowyer to get us out of that league tbh.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Changing manager is the biggest gamble you can take.

In nearly a decade Venkys have had a decent spotter of players (with a good budget) fall into their lap via Bowyer, and made one good decision at the time in TM.

So one out of six or something?

The best chance would be an “in the club falls into their lap” situation again.

...but who's to say they did anything more than sign off on Mowbray? It seemed more like Senior's appointment. 

Still remember the 0-0 draw at Wolves and Mowbray's decisions that day confounded logic then and embodied weakness. There's a difference between L1 managerial ability and Championship plus it helped having one of the biggest budgets in the division. Just because some people felt Mowbray was capable of getting promotion from L1 (including myself) does not mean they feel he's a great Championship manager. I don't think he's even capable of "scraping into the playoffs" in this league and you can't hire a manager on that basis either. You need to feel like they can gain automatic promotion and build towards reaching that point.

Edited by Vinjay17

Cheers.

Its not to be sniffed at though.

He shut them up by signing Dack, Smallwood, and Armstrong. Jacking Steele for Raya. By shipping out the likes of Lowe and giving the captaincy and a consistent centre half berth to Mulgrew.

He built the right team and right spirit and belief for League One and that carried through to the first six months of this season.

I wouldn’t have trusted Appleton, Coyle, Berg, Black, Lambert or even Bowyer to get us out of that league tbh.

Yes, Mowbray is a decent manager in League One with the biggest resources and best facilities.

The problem have arisen whenhe has tried to use that same resource at a level beyond them.