• Sam Allardyce
    • Diego Maradona
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Keep Mowbray
    • Steve Kean
    • David Dunn
    • Other (Mention)

Just now, JHRover said:

So we can't afford to get it wrong and yet you'd go with Johnson who has never managed before?

We would either need to go down the route of experience of this level with recent success in it (not one season 10 years ago) or alternatively have the conviction to unearth a foreign gem like Norwich, Huddersfield and Middlesbrough did. The first of those requires a big chequebook as those managers are sought after and can name a higher prices, the second group require a plan and brains at the top of the club to know what to look for and cast the net wide enough to find it. Neither will happen.

Exactly.

So next best guess is someone that can keep us solvent and competitive by utilising our academy.

We grab someone that throws £20m at it like Karanka would and sign 29 year olds on four year contracts again then down the road we will be in a worse position than we are today.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

...but who's to say they did anything more than sign off on Mowbray? It seemed more like Senior's appointment. 

Still remember the 0-0 draw at Wolves and Mowbray's decisions that day confounded logic then and embodied weakness. There's a difference between L1 managerial ability and Championship plus it helped having one of the biggest budgets in the division. Just because some people felt Mowbray was capable of getting promotion from L1 (including myself) does not mean they feel he's a great Championship manager. I don't think he's even capable of "scraping into the playoffs" in this league and you can't hire a manager on that basis either. You need to feel like they can gain automatic promotion and build towards reaching that point.

Just now, Stuart said:

Yes, Mowbray is a decent manager in League One with the biggest resources and best facilities.

The problem have arisen whenhe has tried to use that same resource at a level beyond them.

This is the unfortunate line of thinking that I’m starting to entertain.

A bit.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

So next best guess is someone that can keep us solvent and competitive by utilising our academy.

Not going to happen in the Championship. In League One it might. We're going to lose millions a year until we get promoted or unless we sell a £15 million of talent each year. The academy helps but it's only part of it. 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

This is the unfortunate reality that I’m starting to entertain.

You say Bowyer might not have been able to get promoted from L1. Sounds to me like he's exactly like Mowbray (also weak) except he was to L2 what Mowbray was to L1. Of course it's hard to blame him for Bradford's situation at the moment especially when their thrashing by Blackpool included several players he had brought in. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Not going to happen in the Championship. In League One it might. We're going to lose millions a year until we get promoted or unless we sell a £15 million of talent each year. The academy helps but it's only part of it. 

Thats kind of the core of my argument that we can’t be going into seasons expecting a play off push.

Look at our owners.

Look at the debt.

I’d like us to become a bit different. A club that doesn’t whinge, as Bowyer did, that we can only offer 10k a week - then signs Koita and Peschi. 

Imagine being a Championship club bordering on self sustainable.

There needs to be some realism because if we keep getting it wrong at this level we don’t have the fiscal means or responsibility to dig ourselves out of it.

The academy, frees and loans has to play a HUGE part.

Experience wants money. Rovers spending money concerns me.

Edited by S8 & Blue

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Indeed and it's not the sole reason to bring up Jason Wilcox. Granted there's no guarantee he would want to work for clowns but he's someone who might bring back some positive mentality to this football club. Farke and Wagner took their talents at youth level and transferred them to the first team without having even managed in this country before. 

Plus you can't underestimate just how important respect for Jack Walker is to me. Wilcox certainly had respect for him but then again respect for Jack and working for Venkys? I'm not saying he would take the role (primarily because of them he probably wouldn't) but you can damn sure ask. Why on earth club approached Joyce when a league title winner (with this club) was in the exact same type of role is beyond me. It really sums up people inside the club don't have a damn clue. Maybe Waggott would have who knows but don't hold your breath...

Also Wilcox never really won respect from some fans as a player here even at his peak. Perhaps there's part of me that wants him to come back as a manager and shove it in their faces if he succeeded. Of course he wouldn't do that because he's a better man than them. 

Johnson could be interesting but who really knows what his deep philosophies are. People who promote youth coaches to first teams sometimes know what they are doing and can spot talent where they see it. My biggest doubt with Johnson is how can anyone in their right mind think David Dunn was a good choice as assistant? Or a first team coach for that matter.

Edited by Vinjay17

14 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I voted other. As someone else suggested recently, Danny Cowley (Lincoln) would be a great shout. We need someone on the way up, not a dinosaur.

I disagree, we need experience (based on our previous appointments of Ince, Berg, Kidd, the bald tosser and Appleton) only Hughes worked out.  Mowbray's main positive has been experience, alongside his relationship with the owners. I honestly think to stop us imploding, he needs a role at Rovers but away from team affairs - he just isn't getting it anywhere near right and the weaj-minded players aren't playing for him.  It is only through fear that the majority of the fanbase aren't up in arms about results and performances - they have weak, muddled, disjointed and just absolutely dire.  Add to that, our players look unfit - the reality isn't great at all.  But for that January, we would be down - no doubt about that at all. 

Who knows who we could end up with if Mowbray left. Nobody saw him coming in. I just know it wouldn't be someone who would universally excite the fans. 

Just in hindsight I'm starting to think that we are having the usual issues behind the scenes, but Mowbray is covering them up with talk of "nice people" etc. Last summer and January were absolute transfer disasters if we are being honest. It's either that or Mowbray is just clueless in his dealings. Either way, it's not a good look. 

I won't be able to listen to excuses this summer when these early transfers he says he wants just don't happen. If they don't and its the usual scramble, I am 100% sure we will be involved in a relegation battle. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I see our former PR guru Alan Myers is active on Twitter tonight, defending TM. Always liked Alan but he’s just defending the indefensible right now with a lot of his comments.

The more telling thing I got from his tweets were how ‘loyal’ the owners are.

Put that together with his relationship with Waggott and I doubt his position is under much threat.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The more telling thing I got from his tweets were how ‘loyal’ the owners are.

Put that together with his relationship with Waggott and I doubt his position is under much threat.

The only thing that might disrupt that comfortable arrangement is the presence of Pasha. If he's the one sending messages back to India then he might be able to bring a change. I think it was him who got rid of Bowyer and appointed Lambert despite us all being told Bowyer was safe through his relationship with Madame.

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd go for Steven Gerrard in the summer with Gary Mac as assistant. 

No way would he come here. Might be a good fit though. Media attention; Mark Hughes type appointment; King Kenny links; close to home for Gerrard.

Just now, Stuart said:

No way would he come here. Might be a good fit though. Media attention; Mark Hughes type appointment; King Kenny links; close to home for Gerrard.

.  It's a great fit.  He has business interests down here and spends a lot of time up here. The only thing would be this ousting Celtic bit, but I think rovers would be a great fit for all the reasons you outlined.  But, as a club we dont have that John Williams that can think like us and go implement a proper plan. We will end up with some shyster

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Preparing him with pub football in a second rate league?  Getting us up and am established premier league team again would be sufficient preparation. 

Rangers would beat Rovers. And it ain't pub football, it's better than the Championship.

Gerrard would not lower himself to come to Ewood and Rovers is not a step-up from Rangers. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Rangers would beat Rovers. And it ain't pub football, it's better than the Championship.

Gerrard would not lower himself to come to Ewood and Rovers is not a step-up from Rangers. 

The Championship is a step up from the SPL though.

From his own development perspective, it’s l not what Gerrard does for Rangers as much as the standard of opposition that he faces (and his record against them).

E.g. Rangers beating Motherwell or Rovers beating Villa?