BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Stoke City, 06/04/18, Ewood Park, 3pm Kick Off.

• Moderation Lead

Well then, our season seems to have petered out somewhat, we’re all a bit fed up for many reasons, but it’s Easter soon and we get extra days off work…. (Well, most of us do!)

In our last match, at in-form Aston Villa, as many of us expected, we lost. Though admittedly, not as heavily as I personally would have thought!

A Bit About Stoke-On-Trent

At a music festival last year, my mate and I got talking to a lad from Stoke at the bar.

He asked us what we knew of Stoke, I said ‘Alton Towers’ and my mate said ‘Rory Delap’. My mate had the better answer, it turned out, as Rory Delap was this lad’s childhood hero.

It is known as ‘The Potteries’ as it is the historical home of the pottery industry in the UK.

Locals are known as ‘Potters’ (indeed, this is the nickname of Stoke City FC) as well as ‘Stokies’.

The Oatcake is a popular local food item, made from oatmeal, flour and yeast apparently!

These can be eaten as is, or with a filling, i.e. savoury items, i.e. breakfast stuff typically, but also sweet items, such as golden syrup, jam, banana etc.

The Oatcake is also the name of a Stoke City FC fanzine and also an internet message board for fans of the club.

As I alluded to above, Alton Towers is a major national theme/water park, located in the village of Alton, just outside of Stoke-On-Trent.

A Brief History of Our Opponents

Founded as Stoke Ramblers in 1863, the club changed its name to Stoke in 1878, then finally to Stoke City FC in 1925, when Stoke-On-Trent was granted City Status.

Their most celebrated player was Stanley Matthews and he served the club between 1932 and 1947, then again between 1961 and 1965, scoring 62 goals from the wing in the process.

A special mention must also go to recently deceased former England goalkeeper Gordon Banks as well. He served the club for 6 years between 1967 and 1973.

Like ourselves, they were founder members of the Football League and are the second oldest football club in the world, after Notts County.

Their city rivals are Port Vale and between them, they contest the Potteries Derby.

They currently play at the Bet365 Stadium (formerly The Britannia Stadium), having played there since 1997 when it was opened. Prior to that, they played their home matches at The Victoria Ground and had done since 1878.

They haven’t really been all that successful in terms of winning trophies, if truth be told!

They won the League Cup in 1972 and won the Second Division (Now The Championship) twice, in the 1932-33 and 1962-63 seasons.

John Ritchie is the club’s all-time leading scorer with 176 goals in all competitions and he played for the club between 1962 and 1966 initially, then returned to the club between 1969 and 1975.

Giannelli Imbula is the club’s record signing at £18.3 Million in 2016.

Imbula is currently on loan at Rayo Vallecano in Spain, playing alongside Franco Di Santo, formerly of this parish. The lucky swine……

The club are owned by local businessman and owner of Bet365, (hence the stadium sponsorship) Peter Coates.

Some Famous Stoke City Fans

Neil Morrissey (Actor whose credits include Men Behaving Badly)

Nick Hancock (TV Host from They Think It’s All over)

Dominic Cork (Former Lancashire Cricketer)

Adrian Lewis (Darts Player)

Jeremy Bates (Former Tennis Player)

Frank Gough (Former TV Presenter)

Selection of Played For/Managed Both

Paul Lambert (Managed Both)

Mark Hughes (Managed Both)

Peter Thorne (Played For Both)

Shay Given (Played For Both)

Jonathan Walters (Played For Both)

James Beattie (Played For Both)

Roger Jones (Played For Both)

Ben Marshall (Played For Both)

Mame Biram Diouf (Played For Both)

Steven N’Zonzi (Played For Both)

When The Two Sides Last Met….

Last time out against the lads in red and white from the Potteries, we almost did a classic Rovers in being 3-0 up and in dreamland, then ultimately drawing 3-3.

This was down in no small part to Saido Berahino not being able to put a free shot from 12 yards out in the back of the net, with the scores at 3-2 to us in the 90th minute.

So luckily, as it was, we actually won 3-2. We don’t like doing things the easy way, with clean sheets, incredible defending and such. That’s all boring!

The last time we played them at Ewood, we won 4-1 in the FA Cup, back in 2015.

Josh King had a blinder for us and scored a hat trick, mostly after Geoff Cameron was sent off for the visitors. Still, you can only beat what’s in front of you and as Stoke were then an established Premier League side, this was considered quite the upset.

Overall Head to Head Record

Rovers 43 Wins

Stoke 35 Wins

15 Draws

Although we don't tend to defend very well, I can honestly foresee a 0-0 here. Just as long as we aren't beaten again! I'm sure we could all do without that! If anything, we just need to arrest this slide and boost the morale around the place.....

• Like 7

Would go:

Raya 

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Travis Rodwell

Chapman Dack Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutweiler, Davenport, Armstrong, Brereton, Reed, Butterworth, Evans

No point bothering with Smallwood, Williams, Conway and Bennett in the squad. Need to look towards next season not back to last.

• Like 7

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Would go:

Raya 

Travis Rodwell

Chapman Dack Rothwell

Graham

No point bothering with Smallwood, Williams, Conway and Bennett in the squad. Need to look towards next season not back to last.

That would be it for me.

• Like 1

One thing’s for sure - it’s not going to be one for the purists. It’ll either be a drab 0-0 (Stoke’s 5th on the trot) or they’ll scrape it 1-0. 

As a couple others are pointing out, it’d be great to see a few of the youngsters let off their leashes, with the likes of Williams banished until being sold in the summer. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

“I know the run we’ve been on is frustrating and disappointing, but to go to Aston Villa and perform how we did for long spells was a good statement.

Particularly after that last 25 minutes, we have to believe we can compete with anyone in the division."

Erm.... You mean when Joe Rothwell was on the pitch? You mean when we actually had to go out and attack a team we looked good. How about maybe starting a game like that Tony? The bloke is beyond frustrating these days, I really don't understand his thinking on most things anymore and I'm not sure he even knows either... 
Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would go:

Raya 

Travis Rodwell

Chapman Dack Rothwell

Graham

If only! That front six would be Lethal!

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would go:

Raya 

Travis Rodwell

Chapman Dack Rothwell

Graham

Dropping Benno? You'd give Tony a heart attack. 

Raya

Nyambe      Lenihan         Rodwell     Bell

Travis             Reed

Chapman                Dack                  Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Mulgrew, Davenport, Evans, Armstrong, Nuttall, Brereton 

• Like 2

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Raya

Travis             Reed

Graham

Exciting looking team, but I wouldn't bet on it! 

11 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Raya

Travis             Reed

Graham

I would have Brereton instead of Dack

For once I'm actually expecting (more hoping for) a bit of positive variation, purely due to the fact it's a 3 game week.

Rothwell and Brereton seriously brightened up a previously mundane approach at Villa, and Reed added more quality in midfield, so I'd like to see all 3 of them get the nod.

Chapman won't start, that's a fact, but we might see him on the bench. Really looking forward to seeing him play again.

But above all else NO BENNETT IN CENTRAL MIDFIELD (or anywhere else for that matter).

A potential alternative, for funsies.

Raya

Nyambe      Lenihan         Mulgrew     Bell

Reed        Rodwell        Travis

Dack          Rothwell

Graham

Could be a match for the "Starman's" return this weekend. Nowt else to play for. Mix it up Tony Mix it up! At least throw him on the bench. Very winnable game this, however Stokes defense is air tight right now.  We seem to find the back of the net in most scenarios, show this would be a good test. However thats not where my worries lie.  Its keeping it tight at the back. I spoke with David Cowlishaw from the Wizards of Drivel a Stoke City podcast about this match, his hopes and more.

6 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Raya

Dack          Rothwell

Graham

Dack and Rothwell playing similar roles next to each other from the start is definitely an experiment worth having.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Dack and Rothwell playing similar roles next to each other from the start is definitely an experiment worth having.

I think Dack is struggling on his own at this level. Would rather shore up the team behind him and give him a likeminded partner tbh - at least until we have proven wingers.

Of course none of these teams will materialise on Saturday.

Edited by CD_93
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Raya

Dack          Rothwell

Graham

Looks good but i think we're all in dreamland with these lineups.

I wonder what Stoke fans think about their amazing 8 game unbeaten run. Is the manager waxing lyrical like an obsessed unbeaten run Bowyer whilst their fans fall into a collective coma.

Taking their last 4 stunners into account, as ever it looks like a great time for the opposition to play-dough the softy Rovers.

We all know what's coming . . . . . .

BoreDraws.jpg

Edited by Husky

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I also disagree with the idea of playing 433 as ultimately it doesnt have a natural place for our best player. But if Mowbray does intend on moving to it he should start now and use the rest of the season as an advantage.

If you mean Dack, at the moment he isn’t our best player 

55 minutes ago, Husky said:

I wonder what Stoke fans think about their amazing 8 game unbeaten run. Is the manager waxing lyrical like an obsessed unbeaten run Bowyer whilst their fans fall into a collective coma.

Taking their last 4 stunners into account, as ever it looks like a great time for the opposition to play-dough the softy Rovers.

We all know what's coming . . . . . .

BoreDraws.jpg

As dull as that run of results is it points in many ways to progress - Stoke were a shambles earlier this season and have now become defensively very solid and are becoming hard to beat.

I'd be very, very happy if we had 4 x 0-0 draws from our next 4 games. That might not appeal to many but to me it would represent a sign of progress and getting things right at the back and learning how to be hard to beat. You get that aspect right and you won't go far wrong.

• Like 1