BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Stoke City, 06/04/18, Ewood Park, 3pm Kick Off.

12 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Ipswich were a play off chasing club not so long back. They would pray for such going nowhere. Does anyone truly believe that pushing for a play off place and getting promotion would have been a good thing?

I'm staggered that anyone could think that it would have been anything but good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not worth the risk. It's unlikely they will pass us, but if we lose our next 2 and they manage to get 4-6 points, I could picture us completely capitulating. 

Get mathematically safe, then experiment. 

This is a common mindset ive seen and its in line with what Mowbray has said but its totally illogical.

Of course there is a long term aspect to some of the "experimenting" and with little risk of relegation thats something that can only be welcomed. But as long as the experimenting is done rationally and constructively, it is also of benefit in the short term. Because what we are doing at the moment isnt working.

Mowbray keeps talking about players that know the league but these players have been playing during the last 10 games when weve been so out of our depth. Why would sticking to the old guard give us a better chance of getting that win we need to get to 50 points? Why have you fallen into the trap of thinking that changing the team is likely to result in a dip in results, which is barely possible?

I wouldnt advocate throwing in half of the academy team wrecklessly, my suggested changes are incremental and in areas where we could improve. For example, out wide, Mowbray seems to like to play a wide forward one side and a defensive winger the other. The likes of Bennett, Conway and an out of position Reed have contributed precious little going forward and making the supposed extra provision to play them has done nothing to stem the crosses raining in and the goals going in at the other end. Armstrong should play right where it can simplify his game if anywhere but Mowbray has fallen for a myth that he offers something defensively and ultimately he has been very inconsistent attacking too. Weve got 2 alternatives who give us pace, flair, and could put us on the front foot from the start especially at home where we have a laughable 6 first half goals in 19 games. Theyd also open up room for Dack. I would also try Rodwell in his natural role, him and Travis could provide that front 4 (Graham up top) with a springboard to attack and Rodwell could both improve on what weve had in there recently (last week Bennett, Smallwood and even to a lesser extent Evans prior) and potentially earn a new deal as a midfielder.

I dont think the formation is necessarily in requirement of a change but if Mowbray plans on doing so then he should make the change now.

It makes no sense to share Mowbrays assertion that our best bet short term is to stick with the same players that have been in such pitiful form over a long period now. We have a clutch of players, Bennett, Conway, Smallwood, Williams etc who neither are good enough to warrant a start at the moment nor are going to help us in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Ipswich were a play off chasing club not so long back. They would pray for such going nowhere. Does anyone truly believe that pushing for a play off place and getting promotion would have been a good thing?

I am not saying that I am happy with this run of results or even some of the line ups. I am happy with consolidating and blooding some youngsters before season end.

Dack will go and we will rebuild. And hopefully we will go back to our usual colors. 

I honestly couldn't see any negative to going for promotion it's not something every club can pick and choose when to do. At the very least it would have cleared a large part of the club debt and made it more likely that Venkys would leave.

I also don't think the league is that good. You have your top 6 but look at Cardiff and Burnley. Both absolute garbage but one of them will stay up and get another 100 million plus next year so could Rovers not have gone up. Spend £20-£30 million and scrapped survival by a point?

Anyone who thinks they would rather be in league 1 every year to batter the crap in that league rather than fight for survival in the premier league doesn't see what is best for the club.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This is a common mindset ive seen and its in line with what Mowbray has said but its totally illogical.

Of course there is a long term aspect to some of the "experimenting" and with little risk of relegation thats something that can only be welcomed. But as long as the experimenting is done rationally and constructively, it is also of benefit in the short term. Because what we are doing at the moment isnt working.

Mowbray keeps talking about players that know the league but these players have been playing during the last 10 games when weve been so out of our depth. Why would sticking to the old guard give us a better chance of getting that win we need to get to 50 points? Why have you fallen into the trap of thinking that changing the team is likely to result in a dip in results, which is barely possible?

I wouldnt advocate throwing in half of the academy team wrecklessly, my suggested changes are incremental and in areas where we could improve. For example, out wide, Mowbray seems to like to play a wide forward one side and a defensive winger the other. The likes of Bennett, Conway and an out of position Reed have contributed precious little going forward and making the supposed extra provision to play them has done nothing to stem the crosses raining in and the goals going in at the other end. Armstrong should play right where it can simplify his game if anywhere but Mowbray has fallen for a myth that he offers something defensively and ultimately he has been very inconsistent attacking too. Weve got 2 alternatives who give us pace, flair, and could put us on the front foot from the start especially at home where we have a laughable 6 first half goals in 19 games. Theyd also open up room for Dack. I would also try Rodwell in his natural role, him and Travis could provide that front 4 (Graham up top) with a springboard to attack and Rodwell could both improve on what weve had in there recently (last week Bennett, Smallwood and even to a lesser extent Evans prior) and potentially earn a new deal as a midfielder.

I dont think the formation is necessarily in requirement of a change but if Mowbray plans on doing so then he should make the change now.

It makes no sense to share Mowbrays assertion that our best bet short term is to stick with the same players that have been in such pitiful form over a long period now. We have a clutch of players, Bennett, Conway, Smallwood, Williams etc who neither are good enough to warrant a start at the moment nor are going to help us in the future.

6 points will do it, at that point Mowbray can put himself centre half if he wants. 

I agree about Bennett, Samllwood and Williams, but in fairness to Conway, even though I don't see the point in him being here this season, he has done well when he has played. Much better than the other 3. If these are to be his last few games for us, I would play him with the youngsters to let them learn from him and also to give him the send off that he deserves. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

I honestly couldn't see any negative to going for promotion it's not something every club can pick and choose when to do. At the very least it would have cleared a large part of the club debt and made it more likely that Venkys would leave.

I also don't think the league is that good. You have your top 6 but look at Cardiff and Burnley. Both absolute garbage but one of them will stay up and get another 100 million plus next year so could Rovers not have gone up. Spend £20-£30 million and scrapped survival by a point?

Anyone who thinks they would rather be in league 1 every year to batter the crap in that league rather than fight for survival in the premier league doesn't see what is best for the club.

indeed, we could win the Championship by 15 points and still end up being relegated the year after 

8 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I am not saying that I am happy with this run of results or even some of the line ups. I am happy with consolidating and blooding some youngsters before season end.

Dack will go and we will rebuild. And hopefully we will go back to our usual colors. 

Got me pondering that did.  Their fans hounded out their manager, just how did the work out then?

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

6 points will do it, at that point Mowbray can put himself centre half if he wants. 

I agree about Bennett, Samllwood and Williams, but in fairness to Conway, even though I don't see the point in him being here this season, he has done well when he has played. Much better than the other 3. If these are to be his last few games for us, I would play him with the youngsters to let them learn from him and also to give him the send off that he deserves. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up there, I highly doubt this is Conway's last season. I strongly suspect he is getting another year, based on all of TM's recent comments about the wings.

12 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Does anyone truly believe that pushing for a play off place and getting promotion would have been a good thing?

I'm not even sure that I truly believe that you truly believe it wouldn't.

• Like 1

Today might be a good day to announce season ticket prices for next season. The club is running this idea in the BBE upper and will have an extra 2500 fans at Ewood for what might be the only time this season. 

If they want those people to commit to coming back my first approach would be to give them all a leaflet with details for buying and an incentive to do it before the end of April.

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

2500 tickets issued, but will 2500 turn up?

My daughter and granddaughter applied and were told they were successful but as of yesterday evening they hadn't got the tickets. I don't know if it's down to the school or Rovers but either way it seems poor.

This one is a ‘must win’ for me. Don’t do that and he is the holder of a new record: ‘Worst ever run by any manager under Venkys’.

With 2500 potential new Rovers fans, he also needs to try make the match a little entertaining at least, which won’t help.

It’s a good job we have had such a miserable 8 years or Mowbray would be toast by now.

Just now, arbitro said:

My daughter and granddaughter applied and were told they were successful but as of yesterday evening they hadn't got the tickets. I don't know if it's down to the school or Rovers but either way it seems poor.

Are they just being told to turn up and collect? That could be chaos outside the BBE!

Just now, Stuart said:

Are they just being told to turn up and collect? That could be chaos outside the BBE!

They haven't been told anything Stuart. In fairness that could be poor communication from the school.

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This one is a ‘must win’ for me. Don’t do that and he is the holder of a new record: ‘Worst ever run by any manager under Venkys’.

With 2500 potential new Rovers fans, he also needs to try make the match a little entertaining at least, which won’t help.

It’s a good job we have had such a miserable 8 years or Mowbray would be toast by now.

I’m not one to back TM but it’s going to be bloody hard to make this game entertaining as Stoke don’t score and don’t concede. 1-0 to someone today - he’s got to make bloody sure it’s to us.

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’m not one to back TM but it’s going to be bloody hard to make this game entertaining as Stoke don’t score and don’t concede. 1-0 to someone today - he’s got to make bloody sure it’s to us.

As a regular, I completely agree.

For a 10 year old, on Monday morning in the playground - “that were rubbish - not going there again”.