BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Stoke City, 06/04/18, Ewood Park, 3pm Kick Off.

34 mins stoke player down injured. Stoke controlling the game. 

Stoke players all gathered around the manager getting instructions. 

Rovers players ambled around the penalty area whilst Mowbray stayed in dugout. 

This isnt the first time its happened this season. Same mistakes/unprofessionalism repeated time and again. 

Times up I’m afraid. Give it Johnson until the end of the season and review things from there. 

At least that’s what would happen if the club was run properly. But we all know it isn’t. 

• Like 6

The same old rubbish and the same result. As soon as I saw the team I couldn't see us scoring, Bennett, Smallwood and Evans in the same team, why oh why the 3 of them aren't capable of a good pass forward between them.

The subs were baffling I had hoped never to see Williams play for us again yet he came on ahead of Rodwell, who when he played alongside Lenihan contributed to our best run of the season, Travis is a good player but coming on when we need and he hasn't scored all season whereas Reed has 3. But the fact that the likes of Evans, Smallwood and Bennett started ahead of Reed and Travis tells you everything you need to know about Mowbray. I don't know why Reed is all of a sudden out of favour especially as he was instrumental in our only win in months. As for Brereton the whole situation and signing of him is baffling, should have Nuttall in the squad ahead of him at least he has managed a few goals.

Crazy not to have Dack on the bench at least if he felt fit and if Mulgrew wanted to stay on then he should have been kept on as one of his set pieces was probably the only way we were going to score. Also if Chapman can't get on the bench with Dack out when is he ever going to make the squad and what was the point in signing him. 

It feels as though we are coming to the end of the Mowbray reign, I only hope that it is sooner rather than later otherwise there is an increasing possibility that last seasons hard work could be undone. 

Not actually too bothered by TM's comments about Dack. If there has been some sort of spat, you'd expect him to try and protect the player.

Normally I'd back the manager in this sort of situation but given a choice between the two I know who I'd sooner see the back of and his initials are not BD.

• Like 2

How many of our current squad, management, staff, gets anywhere near top 6 quality. Lenihan, nyambe, rothwell and from what I can remember chapman. Rest can go, honestly not bothered to see any one of them leave. Team is spineless, management is clueless, fans are unmotivated and uninspired. It’s pretty bleak at the moment to be honest. I won’t be down to Ewood until Tony goes 

• Backroom
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I don't know why Reed is all of a sudden out of favour especially as he was instrumental in our only win in months.

My guess is that he's made it clear he has no interest in returning here next season on permanent or loan, so Tony is phasing him out and giving time to players who probably will be here. Unfortunately said players are shit.

• Like 2

I’m more bothered about Smallwood and Evans getting picked ahead of Travis AND Reed than Dack going AWOL.

What game is Mowbray watching when he keeps picking them two,just to leisurely pass it sideways and backwards??

• Like 4

Just now, Stuart said:

Managers have life spans at certain levels.

Johnson is at the start of his, Mowbray is coming to the end, despite him being younger than he looks!

I’d be inclined to give longer to Damian Johnson in a similar situation than Mowbray, having see what type of football both of them try to play. D Johnson has more of a defined style than Mowbray does that’s for sure.

I agree to an extent, I’d love to see D Johnson given a chance, especially with the raft of exciting youngsters we have coming through. 

But, where we differ, is that I think Mowbray deserves an opportunity to see if he can turn things around. I’m not sure that he can, but last season and the first half of this one tells me he can get more out of the players than he is currently getting and I think he’s earnt some patience.

I’m also not convinced that our current style of play is Mowbray’s preferred style. I think he adopted something of a horses for courses approach last season and then decided to stick with it at the start of this rather than risk upsetting the balance of the squad by trying to change it too much. I’m interested to see if, given a full pre-season and the opportunity to bring players in over the summer, he can change it. Personally, I’d give him the summer and then review things at the end of September. 

Just now, OJRovers said:

I’m more bothered about Smallwood and Evans getting picked ahead of Travis AND Reed than Dack going AWOL.

What game is Mowbray watching when he keeps picking them two,just to leisurely pass it sideways and backwards??

Lot of politics going on by the looks of things. Mogga trying to keep the senior players on side with Bradders throwing his dummy out.....sad 

• Backroom
Just now, DaveyB said:

But, where we differ, is that I think Mowbray deserves an opportunity to see if he can turn things around. I’m not sure that he can, but last season and the first half of this one tells me he can get more out of the players than he is currently getting and I think he’s earnt some patience.

I felt the same during November/December when we went on our first dismal run, but not now. Relegation form in 4 of the last 5 months means that I can't justify even suggesting TM gets a chance to sort it out next season. Our form is so bad under him now that we could be in a worse position than we were left in under Coyle if things don't improve, and even if he was removed in October the damage might already be too great - especially taking his poor recruitment record into account. I'll go into next season incredibly uneasy if Mowbray is still in charge. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveyB said:

I’m also not convinced that our current style of play is Mowbray’s preferred style. I think he adopted something of a horses for courses approach last season and then decided to stick with it at the start of this rather than risk upsetting the balance of the squad by trying to change it too much. I’m interested to see if, given a full pre-season and the opportunity to bring players in over the summer, he can change it. Personally, I’d give him the summer and then review things at the end of September. 

I think you are being extremely generous and ignoring our situation, and overplaying Mowbray’s abilities. Just look at his historic record.

He has already had four windows and money to bring in players to play “his preferred style of play” - two in this division. He still has glaring holes. He let our only defensive cover leave. These were his decisions. Our current plight is down to him.

The situation last season was a one-off and was more down to the players than the manager. We could get away with the lack of tactical nouse because we had better players than the opposition and we were frequently let off the hook, whereas we have been found out this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The same old rubbish and the same result. As soon as I saw the team I couldn't see us scoring, Bennett, Smallwood and Evans in the same team, why oh why the 3 of them aren't capable of a good pass forward between them.

The subs were baffling I had hoped never to see Williams play for us again yet he came on ahead of Rodwell, who when he played alongside Lenihan contributed to our best run of the season, Travis is a good player but coming on when we need and he hasn't scored all season whereas Reed has 3. But the fact that the likes of Evans, Smallwood and Bennett started ahead of Reed and Travis tells you everything you need to know about Mowbray. I don't know why Reed is all of a sudden out of favour especially as he was instrumental in our only win in months. As for Brereton the whole situation and signing of him is baffling, should have Nuttall in the squad ahead of him at least he has managed a few goals.

Crazy not to have Dack on the bench at least if he felt fit and if Mulgrew wanted to stay on then he should have been kept on as one of his set pieces was probably the only way we were going to score. Also if Chapman can't get on the bench with Dack out when is he ever going to make the squad and what was the point in signing him. 

It feels as though we are coming to the end of the Mowbray reign, I only hope that it is sooner rather than later otherwise there is an increasing possibility that last seasons hard work could be undone. 

Reed is out of favour because he's going at the end of the season. Either that or he's unhappy at being shunted out wide every week whilst Smallwood starts in his position. 

Either way he's now being 'punished' by gradually being phased out of the equation. He's gone from being a regular starter to a regular sub and now not even getting off the bench. 

Ultimate outcome is we're seeing arguably our best midfielder pushed out of the team whilst the usual plodders carry on every week. Sickening really.

Mowbray has never really liked Travis and only ever put him in the team through necessity over Xmas and that he became undroppable through his performances. He's seized the first chance he could get to drop him out again.

Both Reed and Travis would have been better options in that team than Smallwood, Evans or Bennett. He's burnt his bridges big style today with that selection.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

We all know that Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, Mulgrew, Williams, Bell, Raya and Conway arent good enough in this division within their respective positions. They are all well below what is required in this league. We also all know that theyll all be here next season, thats worrying isnt it? Yes it is, very. Then there are playerd like gladwin, samuel and nutttall at the club, of whom i have a horrible feeling, tony will welcome back, worrying right? Yes very. Then there are big money signings (arma at a potential 3.5mil and ben at a potential 7.5mil) who we know are both extremely inconsistent and not really that great right? Yes, very. 

So can we trust the manager to spend money? No

Will we still have all those shit players here next season? Yes

Will we waste money in the summer? More than likely

Will tonys rent boy in charge of the gaff be happy? Hell yeah he will rinse the diehards.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

I would have honestly sacked him on the spot at 2pm today with that team. I will not be going again if at 2pm I see any of Bennett Evans or Smallwood starting.

Just now, Stuart said:

I think you are being extremely generous and ignoring our situation, and overplaying Mowbray’s abilities. Just look at his historic record.

He has already had four windows and money to bring in players to play “his preferred style of play” - two in this division. He still has glaring holes. He let our only defensive cover leave. These were his decisions. Our current plight is down to him.

The situation last season was a one-off and was more down to the players than the manager. We could get away with the lack of tactical nouse because we had better players than the opposition and we were frequently let off the hook, whereas we have been found out this season.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that our successes (last season & first half of this) are down to the players, but our struggles are down to the manager. Just as it wouldn’t be right to suggest the opposite. 

I’m not so blinded to Mowbray’s faults that I can’t see that he has made mistakes. Certainly he has, and our poor form ultimately must be laid at his door, but that shouldn’t detract from the good that he did prior to that, and our current run doesn’t just erase our good form earlier in the season - for which he deserves credit. 

I can understand your position and I am not a million miles from feeling the same (although I do think some on here got there far too quickly), but for the time being at least I’m prepared to give him more time. 

• Like 2

I also should add that part of the reason for being prepared to give him time is the realisation that a new manager would not necessarily be an upgrade and so, to some extent, it’s a case of better the devil you know 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveyB said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say that our successes (last season & first half of this) are down to the players, but our struggles are down to the manager. Just as it wouldn’t be right to suggest the opposite. 

I’m not so blinded to Mowbray’s faults that I can’t see that he has made mistakes. Certainly he has, and our poor form ultimately must be laid at his door, but that shouldn’t detract from the good that he did prior to that, and our current run doesn’t just erase our good form earlier in the season - for which he deserves credit. 

I can understand your position and I am not a million miles from feeling the same (although I do think some on here got there far too quickly), but for the time being at least I’m prepared to give him more time. 

We had the strongest squad in the division last year.

When you have a weaker squad the manager’s ability is tested far more.

10 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

I also should add that part of the reason for being prepared to give him time is the realisation that a new manager would not necessarily be an upgrade and so, to some extent, it’s a case of better the devil you know 

The devil you know is taking us down. 

• Like 4

Just now, Neal said:

The devil you know is taking us down. 

I disagree. We won’t get relegated this season (because of the points that Mowbray and the team garnered earlier in the season). 

If we start next season in the same form as we are ending this one then I’ll be right there with you in calling for his head

Just now, DaveyB said:

Why? Because I don’t have exactly the same opinion as you? Last time I checked we were all allowed to think for ourselves and come up with our own opinions, no?

Anyway, to put your mind at rest (perhaps) I’m not a plant (or a vegetable ?), just a fan of about 40 years and a poster on here since 2002 (I came on initially to ask for pub recommendations for the semi-final 2nd leg at Hillsborough) - although I’ve tended to be a reader more than a poster - probably because although I love football and Rovers, I tend not to get overly worked up about it - which maybe explains my willingness to give Mowbray some time. We’re unlikely to get relegated this season, so I’m prepared to see how we start next season. 

And to explain my comment about better the devil you know a bit more - Mowbray has not failed totally this season, the first half of the season exceeded my expectations even if the second half has been crap. There is never a guarantee that a new manager will be better (and that’s not just because it’s the Venky’s choosing). Look at Ipswich - McCarthy did some good, some bad, and the fans wanted change. Hurst came in highly regarded because of what he had achieved with Shrewsbury last year, but failed completely. There’s no guarantee that whoever we replace Mowbray with won’t do the same, and so I’m prepared, on the basis of what I’ve seen of Mowbray, to back him for now. I understand that you’re not and you’re welcome to hold that opinion, just as I can have mine. 

I take back the plant comment.

But... I still can’t get on board with the idea that Mowbray has somehow earned extra time (longer than he has already been given), nor can I accept the “we won’t get anyone better” argument.

That’s not just me being belligerent, it’s down to what has happened at the club over the last 8.5 years. (Bloody hell, Venkys will have been here a decade soon!). We have managed to keep going despite changing managers - even under Venkys watch. They sacked Bowyer (too late) and brought in Lambert. They sacked Coyle (too late) and brought in Mowbray. The problems in both those cases were as much down to the “too late” as what happened with the replacement.

Just now, DaveyB said:

I disagree. We won’t get relegated this season (because of the points that Mowbray and the team garnered earlier in the season). 

If we start next season in the same form as we are ending this one then I’ll be right there with you in calling for his head

So what's going to change over the summer to change the downward trend? TM hasn't a great record in the transfer window, he isn't using what he currently has well and hasn't showed any desire to change things when not working. On top of this we've a terribly unbalanced squad after 4 windows, why will a 5th make things any better? 

29 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

But by the same token, someone else would not necessarily be any worse either and might well be significantly better.

If you took your viewpoint you'd never change the manager ever. To be fair to Venky's out of their last three permanent appointments they came up with Lambert who theoretically should have been a massive improvement on Bowyer but wasn't, and Mowbray who did well initially.

They also apparently identified Warnock before being persuaded to take the cheaper option in Coyle. That was a catastrophic error as I'd take Warnock over Coyle or Mowbray every day of the week.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

My guess is that he's made it clear he has no interest in returning here next season on permanent or loan, so Tony is phasing him out and giving time to players who probably will be here. Unfortunately said players are shit.

My thoughts too.

• Like 1