BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS V Frank Lampards DCFC

What a performance, well done to all, best of the season.

The whole display was full of energy, full of drive and full of quality too. Rothwell was absolutely terrific, but frustrated by his 2 misses but his take and finish for his goal was absolutely top drawer and he was superb all night.

The difference was night and day between Dack, Travis and Reed v Evans, Smallwood and Bennett. Today we had more energy, tenacity and far more in terms of technical ability and enterprise. Reed was outstanding, Dack back close to his best and Travis bar one shocking pass was superb too. I still think Conway should not be given a new deal but he was terrific too and as a front 6 they pinned Derby back to make our back 5 very easy. 

Lenihan was colossal at the back and better on the ball. Raya had one dodgy moment but he barely did anything in general such was our display. Williams fine, full backs our weakest area with Bell for me our lowest scoring player and even then he wasnt bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

I meant more because hes marginalised him all season.

But yer, rumour has it Mowbray started him.....

Its never about the one game. Victories are always something to be joyful about but they don't, in an instant wipe away the memories of the last few months.

You should focus on how many times Dack and Rothwell have started and wonder why?

Very pleasing and impressive performance. One of our most consistent over 90 minutes and among the finest of the season. I was afraid that we were never going to score as time wore on or even a slip up would allow them to snatch one. Thankfully we got there and I was very pleased to see Rothwell score. Before then he'd had a few excellent opportunities and missed them and I was worried about the impact it would have on him if he didn't get some reward for his efforts.

I was concerned at seeing 5 changes as I worried about more tinkering and large scale changes but tonight it was what we needed.

Williams and Lenihan looked solid and reliable, dealing with what came their way.

Not just good in spells but good for almost the entire match and certainly full value for the win. 

Good to see us attacking with intent for a second goal rather than trying merely to protect the 1-0.

Reed and Travis excellent in CM and its a real shame we haven't seen more of them together there.

If O'Neill and Keane are watching videos of our last two games during their preparations for Saturday they won't have a clue what to expect. Chalk and cheese stuff. The contrast between the approach on Saturday and that tonight unbelievable. 

A massive win to take us to 50 and almost certain survival now. Mowbray's had some stick since Saturday so he should enjoy praise tonight. I hope he can maintain that sort of approach and level rather than reverting to the other side of our Jekyll and Hyde character.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

Don’t need to add anything to what’s already been said. Well done everybody.

From a different angle - what exactly did hiding the Derby fans in the upper tier achieve? For me, nothing. It detracted from the atmosphere and the game. What’s the point in that?

Edited by den
  • Like 1

Up there with the best performances this season, richly deserved three points.

Rothwell will grab the plaudits with his goal and effort, still managed to frustrate the hell out of me (especially his two misses in the second half) but he was a menace, if he can consistently hit that level and add an end product, we’ve got a talent on our hands.

That said, my Men of the Match would go to the middle 4, Lenihan, (the oft maligned) Williams, Travis and Reed. In NFL terms they talk about ‘winning in the trenches’ and these four set the tone all over the middle of the park.

Mention too for Bennett, he’s been as poor as anyone the last few months, but his tenacity and leadership tonight was everything we love about him.

Enjoyable night, 99.9% safe..... Hope we can end the season on a positive note.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Delighted to eat humble pie tonight. I criticised Mowbray and the selection and was proven wrong; that’s why I’m not a manager!

We were excellent. One of the best performances of the season.

Lenihan at the back is an absolute warrior. Won everything as usual. He should be captain without a doubt.

Great work rate and energy from Travis and Reed who didn’t give Derby a minutes rest.

Dack is back. Did what he does best, he had a point to prove and he did it. 

Conway - I hold my hands up. Excellent performance. Best crosser of the ball at Rovers still.

Finally, Rothwell. 10/10. Phenomenal. His runs got me off my seat like nobody has done since Duffster. Jumped about 10 foot high when he scored. Love him.

The rest of the lads put in a great shift, played like men tonight to a man. Credit to TM for getting it right.

Lets hope this is a turnaround from the recent bad run of form.

The moment at 2-0 with everybody including Raya down in the corner was brilliant. Proud to be Rovers!

How have you been proven wrong?  You were right and  TM has left it too late to wake up!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

good win tonight been a long time coming ,was it just me or was the ref very quick to book a rovers player but let derby players do what they wanted as many times as they wanted.

I thought it was literally the exact opposite. I thought he gave us everthing! 

Just now, 47er said:

How have you been proven wrong?  You were right and  TM has left it too late to wake up!

More so on Conway. Wasn’t happy with him starting but turned out to be the perfect selection tonight.

Agree it’s been a while coming and we could’ve been as bold and creative as we were tonight earlier (not to mention Rothwell warranting many many more starts) but hey, better late then never, long may it continue.

• Backroom

I was at a gig tonight, wtf happened here? Looks like Mowbray finally found his balls and Rothwell showed why he deserves a proper run in the team. 23 shots to 6! Have we ever been that dominant under TM? I'm struggling to think of any game where we had that many more shots compared to the opposition. I'm stunned. 

Keep performing like that until the end of the season and maybe there's hope for Mowbray after all. Revert back to Evans/Smallwood and he can get lost. One of our biggest mistakes this season was giving the pair of them new contracts. 

• Like 3

My #1 criticism against the manager was (is) his team selections.

Reed and Travis behind Dack, Rothwell, +1 and Graham is how we should have been lined up since Travis got his first run in early 2019.

For what it's worth, Nymabe still deserves to play over Bennett at RB, however, having 24 shots, attacked to defend as opposed to whatever the plan is with Smallwood and Evans made Bennett, Bell and Williams's night comfortable.

If, huge if, TM has finally learned all this, then happy day. 5 more games to prove if he has or not. 

That could be our best performance in years.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What a performance, well done to all, best of the season.

The whole display was full of energy, full of drive and full of quality too. Rothwell was absolutely terrific, but frustrated by his 2 misses but his take and finish for his goal was absolutely top drawer and he was superb all night.

The difference was night and day between Dack, Travis and Reed v Evans, Smallwood and Bennett. Today we had more energy, tenacity and far more in terms of technical ability and enterprise. Reed was outstanding, Dack back close to his best and Travis bar one shocking pass was superb too. I still think Conway should not be given a new deal but he was terrific too and as a front 6 they pinned Derby back to make our back 5 very easy. 

Lenihan was colossal at the back and better on the ball. Raya had one dodgy moment but he barely did anything in general such was our display. Williams fine, full backs our weakest area with Bell for me our lowest scoring player and even then he wasnt bad. 

Wow. Praise for Raya, Bennett,Bell, Conway. Glad the fans who attended, saw such a great game. With all of the concerns before the game, and the euphoria afterwards, it feels like the footballing equivalent of striking lucky on a Saturday night. 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

The only time we seem to keep clean sheets is when Lenihan is playing and Mulgrew isn't. 

And a steady Williams next to him. We all know that Williams is a very poor left back but as a centre back he's better than Mulgrew, Rodwell and Downing.

I thought Bennett did better tonight. I think Nyambe picked up an injury on Saturday so was "rested" but on the bench just in case.

Bell was our weakest player in the first half. But, in the second half and because we were playing well, he grew in confidence.

Superb, high tempo for 90 minutes performance. I'm over the moon.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bazza said:

We all know that Williams is a very poor left back but as a centre back he's better than Mulgrew, Rodwell and Downing.

One win in about 10 games and Williams is now God. ??

Trust me, derby have had an off night and I've seen enough of Del anywhere in the team to say he's crap. Cost us loads of points.

The players clearly pulled out their tripe for the manager tonight and I wonder how much Mowbray shielding Dack with the clearly bogus hamstring story helped in that.

Not sure how many people would’ve had Williams, Bennett and Conway in their teams, certainly not me, so Tony “finally learning” might’ve been a different story had we lost.

Football is such fine margins though, Rothwell’s chip was two inches off being another miss and Dack’s could’ve easily bobbled off his knee out of reach. But they didn’t, we earned our luck and we are safe for next season - biggest win since Doncaster away.