BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS V Frank Lampards DCFC

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

An excellent team performance tonight.  Everyone put in a shift and the football was a joy to watch.  Pleased for the manager and players who showed what we can do when we are on our game.  With the youngsters in the under-23's and the ones on show tonight, Mowbray has a firm base on which to build in the summer.   

BUT, Parsons, will he?  Why oh why did it take him this long?  Why did we play so well tonight and the last 2 months horrible?  I have a theory, that Mowbary by playing "inferior" players the rest of the squad had taken on a why bother attitude.  They know just like we do who can do what.  Tonight they see a side out who can play and they are like right let's do it.  Mowbary's handling of certain players both in picking and not picking and the positions he's played some has been nothing short of criminal.  The players know this too.  Sadly last performance this good was Hull and we all know what happened next.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game tonight.  I don't think Derby were poor they played some nice stuff early on and I thought is was going to be a long night, we could not get the ball but once we got involved WOW well done lads.  Reed busting forward, great to watch.  Loved it all of it.

• Like 1

Wow! Not sure who those XI players were tonight... but can Tony secure them on a permanent basis for next season?  Amazing!  Rothwell and Dack the dream up top, Travis and Reed look like they were joined at the hip. If we can have the same urgency, energy and drive all season we could take some stopping.  A bit more confidence, belief and you never know.  Rothwell with the "Peter Dinklage" over the keeper sexy football baby! ? ? Kick of for Saturday Rovers.  A quick debrief, feedback from the gaffa and the fans. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pick32 said:

He picked the midfield pairing the fans wanted and what a difference.

personally I would of had nyambe and Armstrong for Bennet and Conway before the match, but his selection was bang on and what a performance 

I thought Conway played well actually, put in quite a few decent balls into the box and kept running till the end. 

Bennett on the other hand...

Very pleasing performance and result, delighted to see Rothwell score.

The daft thing is we have a combination of players that have the ability to play to that level on a regular basis, which just makes the last 2 months of results all the more baffling when you look at some of the teams we've put out. Our last 2 wins have now both been fairly convincing and both had Travis and Reed in the middle, Benno not in an attacking role and Rothwell on the pitch alongside Dack (think he came on as sub vs Wigan?). There is a good team in there but TM needs to swallow that loyalty to some of last seasons regulars and accept that they aren't cut out for starting in the championship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 47er said:

Conway invariably returns to play well and  is invisible in the next game. So I suppose you could make a case out for him playing every other game!:)

Bet he wishes he could face 38yo full backs every week!

Simple for me - Mowbray has been using his old head and guile to hold our heads under water for a couple of months, so as to manage expectations, and avoid the 'nightmare scenario' of potential promotion too early. Now that we have once again 'come up for air' and there is no realistic prospect of either upward or downward movement from this division, we definitely have a solid basis for building a clear future strategy. If the team going forward has the engine and energy that was on display this evening, then next season, with a few  additions and taking out some of the obvious weaker links, then maybe we would have a realistic opportunity to contend for promotion, or at least be in the mix. For the doubters amongst us (including me!), consider the prospects had we continued the trajectory set in the January form (where TM was manager of the month) - if we had been promoted, we would have been eaten alive by the quality of the outfits in the Prem, including the six fingered knuckle-draggers. Plus we would have been prime targets for the greedy sharks (agents and other shady characters) that swim in those waters looking for clubs to fleece - and we all know how that pans out, don't we??!.

So, great win. I hope the team can learn from the experiment. Now would be a great time to kick on and finish the season with a flourish - come on Tony M, give us back the Blackburn Rovers we all want to watch :)

Edited by WIR Second Coming
chumba wumba

I still see Mowbray can't give a Rothwell a praise with out a little dig Jesus! 

"We want him running at the opposition goal rather than across the pitch a little bit more, but delighted for him?"

Strange because everything he got the ball he runs straight into their defence. Strange petty comments again from the manager! 

• Like 2

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

Simple for me - Mowbray has been using his old head and guile to hold our heads under water for a couple of months, so as to manage expectations, and avoid the 'nightmare scenario' of potential promotion too early. Now that we have once again 'come up for air' and there is no realistic prospect of either upward or downward movement from this division, we definitely have a solid basis for building a clear future strategy. If the team going forward has the engine and energy that was on display this evening, then next season, with a few  additions and taking out some of the obvious weaker links, then maybe we would have a realistic opportunity to contend for promotion, or at least be in the mix. For the doubters amongst us (including me!), consider the prospects had we continued the trajectory set in the January form (where TM was manager of the month) - if we had been promoted, we would have been eaten alive by the quality of the outfits in the Prem, including the six fingered knuckle-draggers. Plus we would have been prime targets for the greedy sharks (agents and other shady characters) that swim in those waters looking for clubs to fleece - and we all know how that pans out, don't we??!.

So, great win. I hope the team can learn from the experiment. Now would be a great time to kick on and finish the season with a flourish - come on Tony M, give us back the Blackburn Rovers we all want to watch :)

I hope that’s a sarcastic post.

Just in case it isn’t...

Promotion brings much needed cash, and the chance to yo-yo. Going up the season after next won’t be any easier. We need a completely new team to the one that played last night to compete with the pace, strength and fitness level of the PL - oh, and a manager who knows how to work with such a team.

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

"We want him running at the opposition goal rather than across the pitch a little bit more, but delighted for him?"

Strange because everything he got the ball he runs straight into their defence. Strange petty comments again from the manager! 

I thought that was a fair comment.

Last night for the first time, nearly all his runs were effective and cut right through their lines. Many times before he was more heat than light.

If he carries on like last night, continuing to improve that final ball/shot, we’ve got a player.

Just now, Stuart said:

I hope that’s a sarcastic post.

Just in case it isn’t...

Promotion brings much needed cash, and the chance to yo-yo. Going up the season after next won’t be any easier. We need a completely new team to the one that played last night to compete with the pace, strength and fitness level of the PL - oh, and a manager who knows how to work with such a team.

Nope, no sarcasm, just my personal assessment of the fuster-cluck that was February and March for Rovers fans. I know all about the benefits of promotion (cash, prestige etc) and have 45 years experience of following the Rovers through thick and thin, so I guess I'm as qualified as anyone else to have a view. Again in my opinion, there are plenty of precedents for teams ascending to the highest levels with a core of players who competed at all levels in between. I understand that the game has now somewhat changed, with the deep pockets and money no object approach available to clubs like Citeh and Spuds, and maybe I understand that we are never seriously going to compete with teams like that any more. However I do think there is a good prospect for teams that are built around a core of players who genuinely gel together - we have seen glimpses of this from the Rovers core this season. Long may it continue ! 

Arte et Labore indeed!

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Most importantly, Joe's quality lifts the burden off Dack and allows him to find more space.

Exactly this. Up until last night, the opposition knew that if they stopped Dack, they stopped us. Having Rothwell in the side means that they have got two creative players to try and stop, which is infinitely harder than just one. They both give each other more space, and hence make each other play better. Worrying that it has taken Mowbray so long to realise.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

An excellent team performance tonight.  Everyone put in a shift and the football was a joy to watch.  Pleased for the manager and players who showed what we can do when we are on our game.  With the youngsters in the under-23's and the ones on show tonight, Mowbray has a firm base on which to build in the summer.   

Totally agree,as we both know there are probably 3/4 from the u/23s who hopefully can move up to the first team squad next season, plus a few experienced additions to the squad, think TM hopefully now knows the players he needs and the ones he has to move on, needs to stick Butterworth in before the end of season to give him a bit of experience, Bolton at home would be ideal.

Good performance last night and think the fans deserved to see a win like that. No coincidence that the better players played and we won the game. 

Will give the manager some credit for picking the team but I still think he's messed this season up especially when you see the agility on the pitch yesterday and you've got Bristol city in 5th position.

Team get an 8/10 for last night, manager gets 7/10 but over the season it's more like a 4/10 done well in spots but can't see the obvious in front of him.

Better managers out there. If we could get them then I would.

Rothwell won't play next game and the usuals will be back in the team. Watch this space........ 

7 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I just can't... ?‍♂️

Let the lad play football Tony, he's a better quality footballer than you've ever been. Can you imagine him saying stuff like this to Hazard, Messi, Neymar? He's trying to make things happen pal, it's not as simple as running forwards, you have to find pockets of space to open teams up and only good players can exploit this. His thinking at times worries me. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I thought that was a fair comment.

Last night for the first time, nearly all his runs were effective and cut right through their lines. Many times before he was more heat than light.

If he carries on like last night, continuing to improve that final ball/shot, we’ve got a player.

I think in terms of attacking midfielders him and Dack are the best we've had since the Premier League days. We've also got Chapman coming through. So we could gravitate to starting all three behind the striker. That is a very potent attacking threat.

I keep on banging on about it but what's key is we give them a solid back line and central midfield to provide the security to stream forward. Travis, Lenihan, and Reed are all solid. Get the fullbacks and Lenihans partner sorted and we will be in business.

I can see a future for Bell and Nyambe - they've got some good fundamental qualities - and maybe they will be effective with a decent central defence. But I suspect we need some more defensively robust fullbacks while they develop. Rodwell, Williams Mulgrew are all centrebacks who can't head the ball, slow on the turn, and lack a sense of danger. They need to go.

Shopping list for summer (or promote from U23s if we have the quality) - Reed, LB, RB, CBx2 (so we have effective cover), ST.

Remains to be seen if we have the budget and/or nous to find signings of the quality of Dack, Reed and Rothwell rather than Williams, Brereton, Bell, Rodwell.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

On holiday so missed the game but a great win that guarantees safety.  Now then TM, let's see Chapman in for Conway and Nyambe for Bennett and see what that 11 can  do...

To be honest, Conway was one of the best three players on the park last night Windy. He fired quality ball after ball into the box.

Enjoy your holiday ?

• Like 1

It's an obvious statement to make but your two centre midfield players are the engine room of any football team. They should see more of the ball and cover the  most ground of all the players in the team. They can set the tempo of the play and dictate whereabouts on the pitch most of the game is to be played. The can both support the front two and offer protection to the heart of the defence. Last night we had two lads playing there who had the desire, drive, athleticism and skill to do the job properly. 

They don't get nosebleeds when they cross the halfway line and they don't play like the goals are at the sides of the pitch instead of at either end. Why it's taken whilst now and last seasons euphoria to have been almost entirely wasted to select the two midfield players on best current form is a mystery to me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Worried me slightly aswell when TM spoke of "fine margins" and almost insinuated that because we lost four games 0-1, this game was the other side of that line.

No, that was one of, if not the most comprehensive battering of a team we have seen in his 2+ year era (include League 1) and it was night and day compared to some of the other team selections. We played on the front foot for the last 85 minutes because of the players he (finally) selected together.

Credit him for picking the team, but it HAS to continue.

That team last night won't win every game, will be caught on the break here and there, will make risky passes, will probably concede goals... but my God how nice was it to have 20+ shots, 10 corners and football to watch and get behind. 

The days of Smallwood, Evans and Bennett midfields, hoping you nick the first goal and then shut up shot, have to be buried forever now.

Only took 41 matches ?

• Like 7

It feels nice to be vindicated about the selections of Travis, Reed and Rothwell but there's a couple of statements i appear to have got wrong on here.

Before last nights game I would have been very happy to never see Derrick Williams wearing a Rovers shirt again. But fair to play to him, I thought he played well last night, a particular highlight in the second half was where he nicked in front of a defender to keep us on the attack. As i've mentioned in another thread not having Mulgrew in there allowed us to play 5-10 yards higher up the pitch which allows the midfield to press higher up.

The other one is Conway who bar the Sheff Wednesday at home match has looked really below what he used to be and Championship level. But he had a good game last night, he put in some fantastic crosses (like he used to!) and got up and down well. He's a natural wide player too which helps, he knows when to tuck to in and when to pull wide which meant he was always an option for the pass.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's an obvious statement to make but your two centre midfield players are the engine room of any football team. They should see more of the ball and cover the  most ground of all the players in the team. They can set the tempo of the play and dictate whereabouts on the pitch most of the game is to be played. The can both support the front two and offer protection to the heart of the defence. Last night we had two lads playing there who had the desire, drive, athleticism and skill to do the job properly. 

They don't get nosebleeds when they cross the halfway line and they don't play like the goals are at the sides of the pitch instead of at either end. Why it's taken whilst now and last seasons euphoria to have been almost entirely wasted to select the two midfield players on best current form is a mystery to me.

Spot on and we haven't had an 'engine room' for bloody years but you'll never get that from playing two defensive mids and in particular you'll never get that from Evans.

That's not a dig at the lad but just the type of player he is.

• Like 1