BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS V Frank Lampards DCFC

7 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

now, please start travis and reed, rothwell and dack more. let's go again and have a bright end to the season

My worry is here is that once Travis, Reed, Rothwell have a bad day at the office, and they will, Mogga will feel vindicated for his previous selections and revert to type. 

Edited by Amo
typo
  • Like 7

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

It feels nice to be vindicated about the selections of Travis, Reed and Rothwell but there's a couple of statements i appear to have got wrong on here.

Before last nights game I would have been very happy to never see Derrick Williams wearing a Rovers shirt again. But fair to play to him, I thought he played well last night, a particular highlight in the second half was where he nicked in front of a defender to keep us on the attack. As i've mentioned in another thread not having Mulgrew in there allowed us to play 5-10 yards higher up the pitch which allows the midfield to press higher up.

The other one is Conway who bar the Sheff Wednesday at home match has looked really below what he used to be and Championship level. But he had a good game last night, he put in some fantastic crosses (like he used to!) and got up and down well. He's a natural wide player too which helps, he knows when to tuck to in and when to pull wide which meant he was always an option for the pass.

Williams best position is centre half. His lack of real pace isn't as exposed there as it is out wide.  I wouldn't have given Conway another year either. The fact that he did well last night only shows what we'd be like with a really good winger playing there.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Williams best position is centre half. His lack of real pace isn't as exposed there as it is out wide.  I wouldn't have given Conway another year either. The fact that he did well last night only shows what we'd be like with a really good winger playing there.

Williams is still suspect with headers, imho

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree on Conway, I still wouldn't give him another year but a proper winger would complement that midfield very nicely. 

Williams is better at CB largely because he's less likely to be stood up one vs one in a wide area!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amo said:

My worry is here is that once Travis, Reed, Rothwell have a bad day at the office, and they will, Mogga will feel vindicated for his previous selections and revert to type. 

Correct and you've got to persevere with a team when its shown signs of being a good one but as long as he has those other options he'll revert to them every time he can. That's why for me at least one of them needs moving on and moving from picture entirely.

He is though by his own admission a manager who picks a team according to the oppositions strengths not our own and that above all else imo is the major sticking point with TM.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Williams is better at CB largely because he's less likely to be stood up one vs one in a wide area!

Williams and Lenihan had the luxury of playing against the most overrated player in waghorn.   I've seen Del get rinsed at CB and LB this season and all season.   Needs selling

• Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Williams and Lenihan had the luxury of playing against the most overrated player in waghorn.   I've seen Del get rinsed at CB and LB this season and all season.   Needs selling

Without question he needs replacing.

Mowbray keeping players like Williams is one of the reasons why our season derailed so spectacularly.

Credit where credit is due though, he did play well last night.   

• Backroom

Whilst ideally Williams would be sold in the summer, I don't foresee there being a huge amount of interest in taking him off our hands. He's here until 2021, most likely, but at best he should be in the Downing position of 4th choice/emergency CB when all our other options are injured or suspended. He shouldn't be anywhere near the LB position.

Just now, DE. said:

Whilst ideally Williams would be sold in the summer, I don't foresee there being a huge amount of interest in taking him off our hands. He's here until 2021, most likely, but at best he should be in the Downing position of 4th choice/emergency CB when all our other options are injured or suspended. He shouldn't be anywhere near the LB position.

You are probably right, but if we are to sign 3-4 players and promote some promising youngsters, then some of the senior players will need to leave. I'd say those that will definitely leave are

• Gladwin- Free
  • Samuel-loan

After that then it's hard to see who else will leave. Mulgrew and Williams probably should ,but they have signed new deals and I don't see a huge amount of interest, maybe MLS for Mulgrew. Smallwood might go on loan too. 

I honestly think the outs this summer will show our intentions as much as the ins 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are probably right, but if we are to sign 3-4 players and promote some promising youngsters, then some of the senior players will need to leave. I'd say those that will definitely leave are

• Gladwin- Free
  • Samuel-loan

After that then it's hard to see who else will leave. Mulgrew and Williams probably should ,but they have signed new deals and I don't see a huge amount of interest, maybe MLS for Mulgrew. Smallwood might go on loan too. 

I honestly think the outs this summer will show our intentions as much as the ins 

Yeah, unfortunately whilst it's easy to say "Tony must be ruthless and get rid of <player>", it's all dependent on whether anybody else is going to be interested - also keeping in mind we're probably paying the likes of Williams, Smallwood, Evans and Mulgrew well in excess of what other clubs would be willing to offer. The big mistake was handing out contracts so generously this summer. Should have waited to see how these players (all of whom either helped relegate us or in Smallwood's case helped relegate another team) performed in the current campaign. I don't think many would have been calling for any of the four players mentioned there to be renewed now. 

• Like 3

Where did the doggedness, running off the ball, creativity and forward pressing football come from last night that has been missing in the last 11 games or so?

IF we had played just half as good as last night during the last 8 weeks we would have beaten most of the opposition teams and would have seen us sitting comfortably in the top 6 preparing for a play off competition!

Last night showed the levels we are capable of with the right TEAM and formation on the pitch.

I was expecting a loss versus a very good Derby team what we saw was Rovers simply overpowering a team, smothering their play, winning the second ball and challenge after challenge.

Well done TM and well done Rovers, it was a class performance across the board.

With a little tinkering for next season we may have just witnessed the beginning of our top flight return IF the manager is backed and gets the right defender to line up alongside Lenahan who was immense apart from missing a sitter!

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17563991.why-rovers-boss-has-gone-with-smallwoodevans-over-loanee/

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the closet. It's one step forward and two backwards with Mowbray at the moment.

I'm glad he says ' in my opinion' because the vast majority of fans think he is wrong.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

One win in about 10 games and Williams is now God. ??

Trust me, derby have had an off night and I've seen enough of Del anywhere in the team to say he's crap. Cost us loads of points.

We did not let them have anything but an off night.  I thought they looked neat and tidy in possession but to me they just did not seem to want it as badly as we did.  Which for Derby fans must be a worry given they are on the verge of playoffs.  No yiu can't.blame Derby, we played well.

Derby fan whinging at seating area for visiting fans ..

Sorry I was struggling last night as we didn't really do anything of note. Couldn't argue with the result or even blame the ref; we got what we deserved. 

I was also disappointed with our position in the ground, as we were so far above the players we couldn't really give them our support and encouragement as we usually do at away games. Also makes a very sterile atmosphere in the ground. Why would you have a whole section pitch side completely empty? Makes no sense to me, but I can't say that was a factor in the result as plenty of other teams have gone there and won this season.

If I could add a positive on reflection, it was to the small group of fans behind us who kept going with the songs all through the match - witty and something a bit different!

Edited by ewoody
spelling

Just now, arbitro said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17563991.why-rovers-boss-has-gone-with-smallwoodevans-over-loanee/

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the closet. It's one step forward and two backwards with Mowbray at the moment.

I'm glad he says ' in my opinion' because the vast majority of fans think he is wrong.

WOW! 

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

WOW! 

Here is the full quote. It's adds more colour to the situation.

“Harrison needs to learn a bit of discipline about central midfield in my opinion. Normally I play Smallwood and Evans in the middle of the pitch because they stop the counter-attacks and play their position.

“Harrison is naturally a bundle of energy and runs everywhere, he’s out on the wing, he’s in the box, on the left wing, and the midfield is empty.

“He did his job of winning the ball, feeding the team and I thought he did all that perfectly for us. He kept winning the ball back, kept things moving and stopped counter-attacks.

“If he plays like that then there’s no reason he couldn’t play central midfield for us every week.”

• Like 1

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

Here is the full quote. It's adds more colour to the situation.

“Harrison needs to learn a bit of discipline about central midfield in my opinion. Normally I play Smallwood and Evans in the middle of the pitch because they stop the counter-attacks and play their position.

Harrison is naturally a bundle of energy and runs everywhere, he’s out on the wing, he’s in the box, on the left wing, and the midfield is empty.

“He did his job of winning the ball, feeding the team and I thought he did all that perfectly for us. He kept winning the ball back, kept things moving and stopped counter-attacks.

“If he plays like that then there’s no reason he couldn’t play central midfield for us every week.”

Ya, who doesn't hate god damn hard working midfielders who get all around the pitch. Obviously Smallwood and Evans pitching up in the centre circle is far better.