BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS V Frank Lampards DCFC

6 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

On holiday so missed the game but a great win that guarantees safety.  Now then TM, let's see Chapman in for Conway and Nyambe for Bennett and see what that 11 can  do...

Steady on you'll have Tony dropping his biscuits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

I actually think that Samuel has a part to play in the wars to come.

There's a definitely a place in the squad for a big lad who can put himself about a bit and I think if he's fit that's a roll Samuel might be able to be coached into.  Problem for me is he's a poor finisher and always has been and we need someone to take that weight off DG and I don't think that can be coached into Samuel.

If he's fit and prepared to work harder than in the past on the pitch he might serve as purpose cause like I said I really don't see Mowbray parting with him he had an obsession with him before seemingly trying to justify signing him. In fact I see it quite the opposite he'll probably reward him with a new deal if he hasn't already as he did play a bit part last season.

A winger or wide striker he isn't though and if we return to that i'll be very pissed off and so will many others I think.

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

TM does have a point though with his

"Normally I play Smallwood and Evans in the middle of the pitch because they stop the counter-attacks"

-looks at our goal difference-

They do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Oh dear, mowbray saying that Smallwood and Evans play centre mid better than reed shows he has learned nothing and still needs punted 

Unfortunately that sums his attitude up for me. He's more concerned with trying to stop the opposition than actually getting at them ! Anybody else notice those two stopping counter attacks ? It wouldn't be so bad if it was true and we were grinding out a succession of 1-0 or 2-1wins but we're conceding goals left, right and centre. The bloke has lost the plot.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

There's a definitely a place in the squad for a big lad who can put himself about a bit and I think if he's fit that's a roll Samuel might be able to be coached into.  Problem for me is he's a poor finisher and always has been and we need someone to take that weight off DG and I don't think that can be coached into Samuel.

If he's fit and prepared to work harder than in the past on the pitch he might serve as purpose cause like I said I really don't see Mowbray parting with him he had an obsession with him before seemingly trying to justify signing him. In fact I see it quite the opposite he'll probably reward him with a new deal if he hasn't already as he did play a bit part last season.

A winger or wide striker he isn't though and if we return to that i'll be very pissed off and so will many others I think.

So if he isn't a winger or wide forward and Can't finish where does he play and why bother playing him. 

I agree with you by the way I just think he should be released/sold with the rest of the plodders holding up our progress

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

So if he isn't a winger or wide forward and Can't finish where does he play and why bother playing him. 

I agree with you by the way I just think he should be released/sold with the rest of the plodders holding up our progress

Whatever Samuel's good points are finishing isn't one them. I also think good finishers are born and not made.

• Like 2

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

I'm going off the assumption he'll be very much in the squad if he gets fit again seeing as Mowbray made such a fuss of using him all the time before despite him being mostly pants and often looking disinterested.

People have a bit of selective memory with Samuel because he put a few shifts for a short spell last season before he was injured, also got sympathy for being shunted on the wing all the time when just like Brereton he was useless there.  Before all that though his time at Rovers was underwhelming to say the least but he seems to fall into the favs bracket !

If I was using him it would be as a late sub target man to replace Graham but yeah preferably i'd let him go but I suppose he deserves chance to prove himself fit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Oh dear, mowbray saying that Smallwood and Evans play centre mid better than reed shows he has learned nothing and still needs punted 

I'm lost for words, how can anyone, let alone the manager, be so delusional. 

Last night was debatably the best performance in his 2+ year tenure and he still can't see the forest for the Smallwood.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17563991.why-rovers-boss-has-gone-with-smallwoodevans-over-loanee/

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the closet. It's one step forward and two backwards with Mowbray at the moment.

I'm glad he says ' in my opinion' because the vast majority of fans think he is wrong.

What an absolute muppet.  Two clean sheets with victories sandwiching a barrel load of defeats and he concludes the midfield is better with the pairing during the defeats.  EEE-AW

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17563991.why-rovers-boss-has-gone-with-smallwoodevans-over-loanee/

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the closet. It's one step forward and two backwards with Mowbray at the moment.

I'm glad he says ' in my opinion' because the vast majority of fans think he is wrong.

He’s becoming a caricature of himself I’m afraid. Apparently Reed needs to learn more discipline (a bit like his other nemesis, Rothwell). The script is clearly not to attack teams, score goals and win football matches.

Then there’s this neat stat:

The Southampton loanee put in an all-action display in the middle of the park in the win over Derby County after being recalled to the side, alongside Lewis Travis.

That was the partnership in Rovers’ previous win against Wigan last month, which happened to be Reed’s last outing from the start in the middle of the park.

I suspect any decent players who we could loan next season to replace - a very likely pissed off - Reed will think twice about joining Mowbray’s side.

I said that Mowbray looked uneasy on the touchline last night. This just proves it.

Bolster our defensive options and stop making the midfield compensate for your lack of ability to bring quality defenders to Rovers.

He, metaphorically and literary, is NOT the man to take us forward.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Whatever Samuel's good points are finishing isn't one them. I also think good finishers are born and not made.

Absolutely spot on. I don't think Simon Garner or Alan Shearer were coached finishers. That is a knack they were fortunate enough to be born with. 

• Like 1

Just now, ossyian said:

Absolutely spot on. I don't think Simon Garner or Alan Shearer were coached finishers. That is a knack they were fortunate enough to be born with. 

Not so. Just a ridiculous amount of practise. One thing you would guarantee is that when Shearer and Garns were kids they’d have had a ball at their feet at every minute they weren’t at school and at every break in between.

• Backroom

It's just mind-blowing that Mowbray is even suggesting that Reed needs to learn how to play CM from Evans and Smallwood ffs. The only thing he can learn from them is how not to play CM. Oh, and maybe how to get a new contract even when you haven't really deserved it. Evans especially is a master of this.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not so. Just a ridiculous amount of practise. One thing you would guarantee is that when Shearer and Garns were kids they’d have had a ball at their feet at every minute they weren’t at school and at every break in between.

Practice definitely helps with technique - shooting power, two footedness, good heading ability, these can be worked on but that coolheadedness when you're bearing down on the 'keeper comes naturally to the likes of Rhodes, Garner, Yakubu amongst many others. Jason Roberts could have practiced 8 hours a day but he would have always fluffed those chances he got when he had time to think about them.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Practice definitely helps with technique - shooting power, two footedness, good heading ability, these can be worked on but that coolheadedness when you're bearing down on the 'keeper comes naturally to the likes of Rhodes, Garner, Yakubu amongst many others. Jason Roberts could have practiced 8 hours a day but he would have always fluffed those chances he got when he had time to think about them.

I’ll bet you he didn’t though.

And that’s why he ended up playing like Jason Roberts and not like Alan Shearer.

Although there could be a physical pre-disposition for fitness or agility or pace, that belief comes through confidence in your own ability - and that comes through an inordinate amount of practise from a young age. Young enough for it to become second nature.

I know I will get stick for this comment - but I understand where Mowbray is coming from with Reid. Very often he goes chasing the ball when he should hold his position. Having said that - you don't really need two holding midfield players - and neither Evans or Smallwood have covered themselves in glory this season.

• Like 1

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I know I will get stick for this comment - but I understand where Mowbray is coming from with Reid. Very often he goes chasing the ball when he should hold his position. Having said that - you don't really need two holding midfield players - and neither Evans or Smallwood have covered themselves in glory this season.

When one goes the other should hold their position and vice versa. They don't both have to stay at home. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, renrag said:

Many years ago when Ian Rush was in his prime, he was asked in an interview for his secret to his goal scoring exploits. The answer was quite short and simple, he said “I don’t know”. 

He also said "I couldn’t settle in Italy – it was like living in a foreign country". 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ll bet you he didn’t though.

And that’s why he ended up playing like Jason Roberts and not like Alan Shearer.

Although there could be a physical pre-disposition for fitness or agility or pace, that belief comes through confidence in your own ability - and that comes through an inordinate amount of practise from a young age. Young enough for it to become second nature.

I don't agree. It's why some players can take penalties and some can't. Every pro player will be able to put 9 out of 10 in the top corner out on the training pitch. Put them in front of 80,000 at Wembley in a play off final and it's another story. The ability is still there but what's going on in their head has changed.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't agree. It's why some players can take penalties and some can't. Every pro player will be able to put 9 out of 10 in the top corner out on the training pitch. Put them in front of 80,000 at Wembley in a play off final and it's another story. The ability is still there but what's going on in their head has changed.

Rhodes can’t take penalties when it matters so it kind of undermines your point a little.

However, if you practiced 500 penalties a day for 10 years then you will become supremely confident at taking them. Same reason snooker players can go from a club table to the crucible - practice.

Pracitise -> Confidence -> Belief