BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS V Frank Lampards DCFC

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

Rhodes can’t take penalties when it matters so it kind of undermines your point a little.

However, if you practiced 500 penalties a day for 10 years then you will become supremely confident at taking them. Same reason snooker players can go from a club table to the crucible - practice.

Pracitise -> Confidence -> Belief

Confidence is a variable. Some days you have it, somedays you don't. I suspect Rhodes was low on confidence and has been since he left Rovers.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

45 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Not sure about that.  Remember Duff being trained to finish?

Not really no. He scored his share of goals and it goes without saying that he was the best left winger we've had in my time but he wasn't in the class of Andy Mac or Garner, Speedie, Benny Mac etc in front of goal. Finishing practice will help, don't get me wrong but if you haven't got that mental coolness in front of goal practice will only take you so far.

From what I read Samuel was training twice a day but he was still a blunt instrument in front of goal and I suspect he always will be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Not sure about that.  Remember Duff being trained to finish?

I remember Duffs first goal away at Sheff Weds and nobody trained him to do that plus he was only very young still.

I'll await seeing one similar from Samuel after his finishing training.......

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

I remember Duffs first goal away at Sheff Weds and nobody trained him to do that plus he was only very young still.

I'll await seeing one similar from Samuel after his finishing training.......

Duff would have been a bit-part player if he was in this team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Duff would have been a bit-part player if he was in this team.

First read through I saw this as a joke. 

Then I realised you are being serious. And I agree ☹️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, toogs said:

First read through I saw this as a joke. 

Then I realised you are being serious. And I agree ☹️

Yeah, I probably should have said squad. He wouldn’t have got out of the starting blocks.

Oh, for a Souness.

2 hours ago, bazza said:

Yeah. Tony would say he cannot cross a ball and dribbles around too much for a winger.

Modern academies would've drilled any flair out of him before any mundane manager got the chance. They want robots these days who all do the same thing and can play a multitude of positions.

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Modern academies would've drilled any flair out of him before any mundane manager got the chance. They want robots these days who all do the same thing and can play a multitude of positions.

Johnson doesn’t operate like that. He presents Tony with some fantastic young talent who like to attack teams. Tony prefers two sitters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Johnson doesn’t operate like that. He presents Tony with some fantastic young talent who like to attack teams. Tony prefers two sitters.

But not many talented or speedy direct wingers get churned out anymore anywhere i'd love Rovers to pull one of them out the bag and terrify Tony.  He's got one in Chapman but even if he reaches 100% fitness i'd wager he'll be used very sparingly next season.

If there was a kid similar to Duff in an academy somewhere I bet the onus would be on trying to make him into a wing back or something because there was a host of taller robotic wide mids/defensive wide players and wide strikers already stocked up.

• J*B unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

But not many talented or speedy direct wingers get churned out anymore anywhere i'd love Rovers to pull one of them out the bag and terrify Tony.  He's got one in Chapman but even if he reaches 100% fitness i'd wager he'll be used very sparingly next season.

If there was a kid similar to Duff in an academy somewhere I bet the onus would be on trying to make him into a wing back or something because there was a host of taller robotic wide mids/defensive wide players and wide strikers already stocked up.

Duggie wouldn't have got a game!

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, 47er said:

Duggie wouldn't have got a game!

‘Sorry Bryan, I’ve already got 2 attackers, I’m only looking for half of another one. Maybe you can affect the game from the bench and work on the defensive wide of your game’.

On 11/04/2019 at 11:40, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not really no. He scored his share of goals and it goes without saying that he was the best left winger we've had in my time but he wasn't in the class of Andy Mac or Garner, Speedie, Benny Mac etc in front of goal. Finishing practice will help, don't get me wrong but if you haven't got that mental coolness in front of goal practice will only take you so far.

From what I read Samuel was training twice a day but he was still a blunt instrument in front of goal and I suspect he always will be.

He is right though. Rovers made a big thing about Duff's work with Dean Saunders on his finishing.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

He is right though. Rovers made a big thing about Duff's work with Dean Saunders on his finishing.

True but a rather odd comparison they are a universe apart and one was already a quality young footballer sharpening his already considerable skills, the other..er......

I do think however a bit of the type of training that turned Kevin Davies into an effective target man who could literally force and plunder a few goals might help. An Aldi version of Davies would be handy to have around and Doms got the size.

Just now, tomphil said:

True but a rather odd comparison they are a universe apart and one was already a quality young footballer sharpening his already considerable skills, the other..er......

I do think however a bit of the type of training that turned Kevin Davies into an effective target man who could literally force and plunder a few goals might help. An Aldi version of Davies would be handy to have around and Doms got the size.

Shame he doesn't have the first touch.

At 24 I don't think he's going to suddenly develop immaculate ball control which the Davies/Graham roll requires. 

He really is a league 1 at best player. 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 3

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Shame he doesn't have the first touch.

At 24 I don't think he's going to suddenly develop immaculate ball control which the Davies/Graham roll requires. 

He really is a league 1 at best player. 

So many times we've gone to pot this season when DG has inevitably gone off and yet Mowbrays answer was shove Dack there on his own umpteen times, ridiculous really. Then he gave Nuttall a bit of a shout and he did ok a time or two then he got hooked.

If they are going to insist on still playing that way which is probable if Dack isn't sold they need a tall guy to come on and just put himself about up top for the last 20 mins. If Samuel can't do that there's no point in him at all but we all know he'll probably end up starting on the right again ?

Edited by tomphil

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

So many times we've gone to pot this season when DG has inevitably gone off and yet Mowbrays answer was shove Dack there on his own umpteen times, ridiculous really. Then he gave Nuttall a bit of a shout and he did ok a time or two then he got hooked.

If they are going to insist on still playing that way which is probable if Dack isn't sold they need a tall guy to come on and just put himself about up top for the last 20 mins. If Samuel can't do that there's no point in him at all but we all know he'll probably end up starting on the right again ?

I've no doubt he will end up keeping Chapman out the team next season and probably restrict rothwell to knowing mowbray. 

Samuel isn't good enough or needed but I agree with you that he will be used , more than likely on the right 

• Like 1