BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Was nice to see lenihan give raya a bollocking a few times, i douted his leadership and overall centre half ability, but our improvement since his return has been undoubted.

Rothwell doing what we all know he can, real potential for him next season.

As kevin gallagher said we are 6 or so players short of a promotion push, massive summer ahead. 

Hopefully bolton win their next game and then we relegate them on bank holiday monday.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, davulsukur said:

Wow, not a great stat for Mulgrew that.

Sadly we're unlikely to be able to move Mulgrew on in the summer, so short of a contract termination he will be around next season on very big wages for a back up player.

Williams might work as a backup CB, basically taking Downing's spot. Technically with the added advantage of being able to play LB, although that's debatable at this level.

Delighted to see Rothwell taking his opportunity. Hopefully giving Mowbray no choice but to make him a major part of our plans next season. I just hope it isn't as a replacement for Dack. I'd rather see them playing alongside each other. 

20 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Not for me. Leutwiler is out of contract and will be on his way. The ones I’d play are Nuttall and Brereton. We need to know if they are going to be reliable options next season. Maybe give Chapman, Davenport and Buckley a game too...

What about Rodwell? Give him the last games in centre midfield. Hope to see Rankin-Costello as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Fair play too Williams, he’s taken a lot of flack this season (some merited on his showings at left back!) But he’s been solid without being spectacular the last two games.. Would keep him as 3rd or maybe 4th choice centre half next season. Great win today. Don’t buy into the idea this season was a missed opportunity, don’t think we have anywhere near the quality too go up from this league and we can argue we had the chance too bring extra quality in but whatever man, I’m just glad to see us win today. Two on the bounce for the first time in a while, absolutely buzzing. 

Well, we have beaten Leeds, Derby, Forest (twice), Should've beat Villa at home but drew, beat and drew against West Brom. All teams expected to get promoted. Also, our best side is a better side than Wednesday and Hull who we've both beaten too who are also pushing for a playoff place, I truly believe we are better than both of those. 

The depth probably isn't there but our best 11 if played all season would have had us in and around the playoffs I think. I just hope some lessons have been learned by the manager going into next season. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Now that we are safe, does anyone else think Leutweiler should be given a run of games to see what he is all about?

I'd give time to Fisher. 

Edited by Neal

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Wow, not a great stat for Mulgrew that.

If anyone thought mulgrew would be anything more than mediocre they were sadly mistaken. Said in pre season he wasnt good enough, said his body wouldnt handle it and hed be caught out game after game. Not sure why people even rated him as a defender.

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

We now have more points from the 13 games Mulgrew hasn't played this season than we do in the 29 he has played.

Thanks, that settles my internal debate over whether Mulgrew's goals and set pieces bring enough to the side to compensate for his defensive shortcomings.

After a very stressful week i nearly didn't go today and if it was not for my wife telling me it would help take my mind of things(basicaly kicking me out ) well it certainly did..

I always like a visit to Nottingham and today was no exception,not sure how many away fans they were but what a cracking atmosphere we created ,i don't think there was a quiet moment from our fans all the way through the game ,on par with West Brom and Stoke ...On the game we fully deserved to win and i can still see that Rothwell shot curl in to the top corner cracking goal ,also good to see bodies getting in front of shots something that as been missing in a lot of our games ,great shape as well and to be honest a good game to watch..On the negative side ,Benno is no way a right back ,and Bell is not a left back on another day he could have cost us 2 goals now this is not just a one off with him..Big shout to Dell boy williams who  had a excelent game as did Darra  ,not seen the Raya mistake yet so can't comment but it looked a bit of a calamity ..Looking forward to the highlights for once , i also hope they show Dacks chance as it looked a good save from their 8ft keeper ..

• Like 8

The game could have finished 5-5 as both teams squandered chances but aside from the win there were several pleasing aspects. Rothwell is one of them type of players who excites me. Running at pace directly at defenders is something we haven't had for a while. Not everything he tries comes off but I can live with that. He has scored again but today's is goal of the season. Williams was really good again today and links well with Lenihan. Travis was good again and worked between the penalty areas with some good tackles and passing. Graham did well but I expect that now. Raya though once again showed me why we need a new keeper. We were coasting and his elementary error gives them a lift. For me he is far too unreliable. His shot stopping is excellent but coming for crosses and off his line is poor.

Delighted with the win and if Mowbray is true to his word we should see some youngsters in the last four games.

• Like 4

Pleased with the result even if it got a bit fraught towards the end.  There were times when we played some good football and others when panic set in.  I agree with arbitro that Lenihan and Williams looked a good partnership in defence.  I think Williams looks much better in the centre and seems to combine very well with Lenihan.  Bell was a mixture of mistakes and some excellent tackling and blocking, but really doesn't convince as an out and out left back.  I think there is a player in there but whether it's a question of confidence or not I'm not sure but he needs to improve defensively if he is to be retained as first choice.

Travis was a workhorse in midfield and Graham an absolute rock up front.   Dack had his moments but really ought to have scored.  I thought Rothwell was much better defensively and whenever he ran at the Forest defence they looked all over the place.  He's not the finished article but he looks a much better player than earlier in the season and should be one of our key men next season.

On the whole, as the season comes to an end, I think we've basically done what I expected which was to consolidate in this League.  We could easily have gone the way of Wigan or Rotherham but, in fairness, have never really looked like getting dragged into a real relegation battle thanks to our early season form.

• Like 8

Our second goal showed the difference between Evans and Travis. Evans spent the entire game, as usual, passing backwards or sideways to players under more pressure than he is. He did so to Lenihan, but Travis helped out by running into a receivable position - basically where Evans had been, and demanding the ball. He then turned, ran with it and played a peach of a diagonal pass to Bell’s forward run from which we scored. Evans never does that.

I thought Rodwell looked class in the Evans role after he came on plus added some extra height in front of Lenihan/Williams.

So, for me, we can ship out Evans, Raya and Bell, keep Charlie on the bench for late set pieces when we are chasing a game, and keep Williams as the third CB behind Lenihan and a new Kevin Moran.

• Like 8

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Our second goal showed the difference between Evans and Travis. Evans spent the entire game, as usual, passing backwards or sideways to players under more pressure than he is. He did so to Lenihan, but Travis helped out by running into a receivable position - basically where Evans had been, and demanding the ball. He then turned, ran with it and played a peach of a diagonal pass to Bell’s forward run from which we scored. Evans never does that.

I thought Rodwell looked class in the Evans role after he came on plus added some extra height in front of Lenihan/Williams.

So, for me, we can ship out Evans, Raya and Bell, keep Charlie on the bench for late set pieces when we are chasing a game, and keep Williams as the third CB behind Lenihan and a new Kevin Moran.

And play Bennett in goal, no doubt.

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

We now have more points from the 13 games Mulgrew hasn't played this season than we do in the 29 he has played.

This has been obvious for months. Much as I love Charlie we defend better without him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

On the whole, as the season comes to an end, I think we've basically done what I expected which was to consolidate in this League.  We could easily have gone the way of Wigan or Rotherham but, in fairness, have never really looked like getting dragged into a real relegation battle thanks to our early season form.

Another way of looking at it-----despite the manager's performance we have survived.

Could and should have been so much better.

2 hours ago, CD_93 said:

On the highlights you can make out Mowbray screaming "CORRY EVANS" as the recipent prances around backwards, pointing in to empty space, making himself increasingly unavailable.

That's an art he's perfected down the years....apart from International selection or new contract time is looming.  He needs the gaffer and some leaders in the team on his case all the time, dig him out when he's hiding to get the best out of him.

Great to hear Mowbray is on at him, pennies dropping.

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

That's an art he's perfected down the years....apart from International selection or new contract time is looming.  He needs the gaffer and some leaders in the team on his case all the time, dig him out when he's hiding to get the best out of him.

Great to hear Mowbray is on at him, pennies dropping.

Exactly the type of player you don't need in your team, to be honest. Unfortunately his new contract ensures we'll be enduring Evans for a while yet, with the occasional good game in amongst the nothing performances he's better known for. 

• Like 1