BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at QPR - Good Friday 19th April 2019

It will be a Friday, but will it be any good?

Rovers sit safe and sound in 15th place, QPR two places below on 48. Whilst mathematically Rangers can still be caught, relegation is unlikely, so a fairly meaningless match in the general scheme of things, but will tinker Tony blood some youngsters?

Founded in 1886, Rangers meandered around various grounds in and around White City, they finally settled at Loftus Road. They have had pockets of success, winning the then League Cup in 1967, and finished runners up in the First Division in 1975-6.

Head to head we have won 21, drawn 12 and lost 14 against the Hoops.

Players common to both clubs in recent times include the beast that was Chris Samba, Junior Hoilett went the other way, current player Ben Gladwin and the Bradley whose name shall never again be associated with our club.

Rangers were quite a force in the early/mid 70's, when Gerry Francis was a key player, and later, manager.

Owners....don't get me started on owners.....QPR have had their own fair few "issues" with ownership.

Chris Wright bought the club in 1996, ploughing £20 million inside the next 5 years. Then F1 glitterati, Bernie the Germanic loving then owner and Flavio Briatore, had a "do", committing another £20 million to cover debt etc.

2007 saw the family of billionaire Lakshmi Mittal purchase a 20% stake in the club. Son-in-law Amit Bhaia made it onto the board. Mittal was reportedly the eighth richest man in the world at the time, and Rangers fans could have been right to think all these wealthy chaps might provide a veritable treasure chest to assist the club to prosper.

Unfortunately that didn't transpire, and various debts emerged, and little or no cash invested. Malaysian businessman Tony Fernandes (Air Asia) was next to have a punt in 2011, with an investment rumoured to be around £35 million. A loan using the stadium as collateral, paid off other debt, and refinanced new debt. The club continues to be mired in various controversies from the previous owners dealings. Bhatia became chairman of the club in August last year.

We beat them at Ewood last November, with a 1-0 win. 

A double would be nice.

QPR average 13,800 or so home crowds this season, so plenty of room to stretch out.

Have a lovely Easter away day roaming Rovers, basking in the 25 degree heat......

Here's to 3-points!

• Like 2

Think a lightbulb has finally switched on in the managers and a few players heads at Rovers these past few weeks alerting them that's there's a point to prove in these final games to fend off the gathering of pitchforks.

Hopefully a few young ones playing a part here but i'd stick brass on the two defensive mids pairing returning as Tony continues his keep the seniors onside policy. Nevertheless.....

QPR   1    Rovers   3

Rovers sold about 600 out of 1,200 allocation on Monday so should be a fair few of us there. Views are "restricted" in more than 50% of seats which isn]t surprising as it's a tinpot ground.  Last time It was there about 4 years ago it was a 0-0 borefest so hoping for better this time. Avoid the Springbok pub outside the ground - it's not nice. 

QPR were on a horrible run until thrashing Swansea 4-0.

However, if you look at the Swansea defending and keeping.... our lot have a bit to learn in completely screwing up.

Want to see Rodwell and travis paired in central midfield, Williams and Lenihan cenre backs and six players from the under-23 squad on the bench with Leuitweiller.  

Other player links off the top of my head:

Simon Barker was a top, top player for both clubs in the 80s and 90s.

Roy Wegerle

DJ Campbell

Ryan Nelsen

Darren Peacock

Danny Simpson

And Gareth Ainsworth is a Blackburn lad who played many games for QPR as well.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Other player links off the top of my head:

Simon Barker was a top, top player for both clubs in the 80s and 90s.

Roy Wegerle

DJ Campbell

Ryan Nelsen

Darren Peacock

Danny Simpson

And Gareth Ainsworth is a Blackburn lad who played many games for QPR as well.

Samba and Hoilett too.

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers sold about 600 out of 1,200 allocation on Monday so should be a fair few of us there. Views are "restricted" in more than 50% of seats which isn]t surprising as it's a tinpot ground.  Last time It was there about 4 years ago it was a 0-0 borefest so hoping for better this time. Avoid the Springbok pub outside the ground - it's not nice. 

Think the Springbok has now changed its name. Used to be one of the more difficult pubs to get into as its so close to the ground.

Back in the day QPR had 2 of footballs real mavericks in Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles, both supremely gifted footballers with a loose screw or two. Both had England careers blighted by their perceived or indeed real lifestyles but also to a great extent by the FA Committee and its then team managers.

2-2 tomorrow so we need to beat Bolton & Swansea at home to get to TM's 60 point target. Tough call.

• Like 1

BIg chance for some fringe players such as Rodwell, Brereton and perhaps even Davenport.  Nothing to gain or lose, so lets enjoy some no pressure football... which makes a change.  Obviously I would like a win, and I hope we can get a much more enjoyable game than the snorefest that was when the two sides met at Ewood Park earlier in the year.  Meanwhile, I spoke with Jonny Naidoo a QPR supporter about their season and his expectations on Friday.

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Williams Bell

Rodwell/Buckley Travis

Chapman Dack Rothwell

Brereton

I think the Williams and Lenihan partnership has shown promise, so I wouldn't be so quick to break it up. 

If Rodwell will be here next season, I would start him, if not I would go with Buckley. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4

Brilliant opportunity over the next few days (QPR & Bolton) to throw some of the youngsters on to get a gauge on how they'll do next season.

Mix it up between starts and sub appearances for all of:

Magloire, Davenport, Chapman, Buckley, Butterworth, Brereton.

We're safe. No point in limiting the game times of the above just to ensure the likes of Smallwood/Conway can play. We know what they can do and they shouldn't be an integral part of the future, so lets give an opportunity to those hungry lads who deserve a crack and might be part of it.

• Like 4

Gk.  Raya

Rb. Nyambe. 

Cb. Lenihan

Cb. Williams

Lb. Bell

Cdm.   Travis

Cdm.  Buckley

Ram.   Rothwell

Cm.     Dack

Lam.     Chapman

F.      Brereton

Subs. Magloire, Butterworth for a decent cameo. Bennett to come on to waste time and fist pump the sun burned Lancashire lads n lasses.

Didn't include Rodwell as I simply don't think he will be here next season 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Brilliant opportunity over the next few days (QPR & Bolton) to throw some of the youngsters on to get a gauge on how they'll do next season.

Mix it up between starts and sub appearances for all of:

Magloire, Davenport, Chapman, Buckley, Butterworth, Brereton.

We're safe. No point in limiting the game times of the above just to ensure the likes of Smallwood/Conway can play. We know what they can do and they shouldn't be an integral part of the future, so lets give an opportunity to those hungry lads who deserve a crack and might be part of it.

Dream on. Tony's mates are playing