BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at QPR - Good Friday 19th April 2019

Just now, bigbrandjohn said:

According to my maths that’s 9 points in three games, two away from home. Final push for promotion. Oh we’ve run out of games.

Still, nice way to consolidate with our other promotion partners from last year fighting for their lives. Very solid achievement. 

I get the sentiment but we’ve gained nothing today.

We already know that Dack, Rothwell and Travis on the pitch at the sane time is what is needed.

We’ve learned nothing about Leutweiler. He already needed to be replaced and still does.

Brereton got 5 minutes. Not enough time for him or Rovers to gain anything but I guess it counts as an appearance.

We’ve learned nothing about whether any other youngsters - from a special group no less - can step up.

Always nice to win but it’s too little too late. We didn’t run out of games, we ran out of ambition. On 1st Feb.

• Like 5

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

They did both play well. Williams a revelation.

Fair play to him for taking the opportunity. 

I said it earlier in the season and I read quotes from Mowbray in the LT saying the same yesterday, Lenihan leads when Mulgrew isn't there 

I played centre half myself, if an older more experienced player is with you you kind of have to let them lead the calls etc. It ia certainly to Lenihan and our detriment when Mulgrew plays. Sad, but true 

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

Armstrong MOM good all round performance,keeper disappointing.

He's a strange one! Plays 5 games and he's unnoticed, then appears out of know where and comes one of the most dangerous wingers in the championship? Stick with the same midfield next year with a replacement for Evans then we can be dangerous! 

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

They did both play well. Williams a revelation.

Williams miles better at centre back, this was said months ago but as usuaul the hardcores were adamant mulgrew was essential.

Just now, Stuart said:

We already know that Dack, Rothwell and Travis on the pitch at the sane time is what is needed.

We’ve learned nothing about Leutweiler. He already needed to be replaced and still does.

Brereton got 5 minutes. Not enough time for him or Rovers to gain anything but I guess it counts as an appearance.

We’ve learned nothing about whether any other youngsters - from a special group no less - can step up.

Always nice to win but it’s too little too late. We didn’t run out of games, we ran out of ambition. On 1st Feb.

We win, again and it's not good enough.  Baffling logic.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Husky said:

Apart from why Rottweiler hasn't been in ahead of Calamity Dave.

We didn't learn anything new from today's game. Just another reinforcement of the fact that most of the fans have been right all season regarding team selection and areas of weakness.

You mean the same fans that have been clamouring all season for Williams to partner Lenihan at the back? Another immense performance from that pairing today, Charlie’s circus trick corners are starting to seem like an expensive indulgence now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

We gained three away points and some of the lessons you mentioned. I understand your logic and frustration but if this is a project it is more than one season. Only Norwich look like a premier league team in waiting. 

It would have been exciting to get into the play offs but these days you need to create the foundation of a premier league team in the Championship. We have not done that. 

We would be in big trouble if we got there and started planning. Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield are all on their way back down and Fulham at least, spent money. 

I can live with consolidation as long as we choose well in the Summer. 

• Like 1

Unpredictable league, unpredictable team selections = unpredictable runs of results and form.  All this from a manager who's actual football style and faith in certain players is usually entirely frustratingly predictable !

Real roller coaster season but who wants to draw every week anyway ?  Plenty good entertainment in spells to break up the dour stuff which just adds to the frustration I suppose.

Great win ?

• Like 1

Always nice to win but think today was a wasted opportunity for Mowbray.

What can he have learnt.

Many know we need a new goalie, many know Smallwood is pants, many know we defend better without Charlie, many know Rothwell and Travis are 'must starts'.  Perhaps Mowbray isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and it takes time to sink in.

The management of Brereton is, IMO, a feckin disgrace.  How is Mowbray developing the lad?  Five minutes here, five minutes there is, IMO, utter shite.  I think Mowbray wont play him because he's afraid a run of games might just show he's dropped a real b 0 l l 0 c k in signing him and he's delaying the bad news for the Venky's for as long as he can.

I think the fact that at least one of Chapman, Nyambe, Magloire, Buckley or Butterworth didn't start the match, and Brereton only got 5 minutes, tells you that Mowbray is not one to develop young talent.  

I do not think Mowbray's selections augur well for the summer and next season.  To me, he's just deluding himself.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, bigbrandjohn said:

We gained three away points and some of the lessons you mentioned. I understand your logic and frustration but if this is a project it is more than one season. Only Norwich look like a premier league team in waiting. 

It would have been exciting to get into the play offs but these days you need to create the foundation of a premier league team in the Championship. We have not done that

We would be in big trouble if we got there and started planning. Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield are all on their way back down and Fulham at least, spent money. 

I can live with consolidation as long as we choose well in the Summer. 

One season in the Prem rakes in £150m. We would probably come straight back down but we would then be able to build the 'foundations of a Prem' side from the parachute payments. See Burnley for an example. 

The alternative is to never go up because you haven't built a the 'foundations of Prem' side . Cardiff have been very unlucky with decisions. Their cobbled together Championship side that nearly went down to L1 has instead gone up a season later and almost stayed up in the Prem a year after that.  I doubt they are wishing they had 'built the foundations' of a Prem side. 

Thinking about it I'm not even sure what the 'foundations of a Prem' side means. If you've gone up then you probably have some good players anyway so by definition you've got the foundations of a good team. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Basically our best team and just one change from a good away win last week...

PATHETIC!

We’d all like to see some new faces on the bench but Christ.

I couldn’t have cared less if we won today or didn’t.. we won so what? What does it achieve? What do we gain? Nothing.

I’d have rather lost and played the kids. Evans shouldn’t be here next season, the fullbacks shouldn’t be here next season. Mowbray should have kept his word and played the kids.

30 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

We win, again and it's not good enough.  Baffling logic.

The win is a good enough result, obviously. The lack of desire to try the youngsters out, is not. The wins don't really matter anymore as safety is assured and promotion is impossible.

Very simple logic, I'm surprised you didn't follow it, as enough people have said it.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

Just now, RV Blue said:

I couldn’t have cared less if we won today or didn’t.. 

Well we differ on that front.

Important to finish as strongly and confidently as possible. Top half is within reach. 

Yes it would have been nice to have some u23s on the bench but the overreaction is daft.

A good win and performance today and I’m very glad for it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fair play to him for taking the opportunity. 

I said it earlier in the season and I read quotes from Mowbray in the LT saying the same yesterday, Lenihan leads when Mulgrew isn't there 

I played centre half myself, if an older more experienced player is with you you kind of have to let them lead the calls etc. It ia certainly to Lenihan and our detriment when Mulgrew plays. Sad, but true 

Yeah, something told me you'd headed a lot of balls.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Well we differ on that front.

Important to finish as strongly and confidently as possible. Top half is within reach. 

Yes it would have been nice to have some u23s on the bench but the overreaction is daft.

A good win and performance today and I’m very glad for it.

Me too, a win always makes my day/evening/weekend.

• Like 2

Nobody wants too be the team who goes in to next season on the back of finishing the previous season in terrible form, yes it would be nice too see a few of the u23s get a chance but you can’t not be delighted at winning 3 on the bounce. Hopefully make it 4 on Monday against a Bolton side who had their relegation from the league confirmed today.

• Like 1