BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at QPR - Good Friday 19th April 2019

Just on the train back and I have to say I was surprised that none of the kids were involved despite the assurances from Mowbray that once we were safe he would.

It seems crazy that two weeks running now we are coasting with a two goal lead and two different keepers make ridiculous errors and put us under pressure. For me now it is the number one priority to bring in a decent keeper.

Williams was again outstanding at centre half and played what I feel is the pass of the season. A sixty yard ball over the full back and straight into Armstrong's stride. Lenihan wasn't far behind him again. Travis once again excelled as did Rothwell. 

• Like 9

Good performance and win and we really should be taking a much more convincing win back with us.

He HAS to drop this defensive winger nonsense, proved again today that 2 pacy wide men gave us excellent balance but also didnt lead to us being defensively disorganised as he has suggested, indeed Rothwell in particular did some very commendable work going the other way.

Armstrong was absolutely outstanding, Ive never really understood Mowbray constantly using him on the left, whenever he plays on the right it seems to play into his strengths and make his game much more simple, when hes on the left he often makes the wrong decisions coming back in field. Put in a few superb balls in and terrorised their left back.

Dack was also terrific, Rothwell a constant danger too and Graham as usual was a focal point that when he went off, we sorely lacked and its when we see how important he is.

Travis was absolutely outstanding in the midfield, sometimes he appears graceful and elegant, sometimes he can be a bit more clumsy but his persistence often wins out regardless, his drive through the lines is a massive weapon to us. Evans was ok alongside, no more really.

Lenihan and Williams were absolutely superb, the latter should no longer be considered a left back in any way shape or form. If ever theres a way to get at us, its at our full backs and we need upgrades as a matter of priority, dont think they had their worst ever games by any means but Bennett was lucky than Osayi-Samuel matched his constant skinning of Bennett with some hapless end product. 

And on to Leutweiler, well, well, well out of his depth even before the blunder. Flapping at everything and makes Raya look accurate with his kicking.

Still cant understand why the likes of Mulgrew and Smallwood were on the bench and never going to come on really, with Chapman, Davenport, Butterworth and Buckley nowhere to be seen. Very much a worrying sign for those expecting Mowbray to be ruthless with his senior players going forward, especially those who arent of the required quality. (in Mulgrews case anymore) He mentioned this week that he would have some tough decisions leaving players out of the 18 to make way for the youngsters, ultimately it proved too tough to carry out. Still a valid criticism even with the win.

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

We win, again and it's not good enough.  Baffling logic.

These are dead rubber games, Paul. Winning them is nice but means nothing in the scheme of things.

I’m surprised you needed telling. Oh wait, you were scoring points. Ok, crack on.

Just now, Butty said:

Nobody wants too be the team who goes in to next season on the back of finishing the previous season in terrible form, yes it would be nice too see a few of the u23s get a chance but you can’t not be delighted at winning 3 on the bounce. Hopefully make it 4 on Monday against a Bolton side who had their relegation from the league confirmed today.

I agree , a win is very important. However It wouldn't have hurt to have a couple of the young players on the bench and for one of them to have got the last 15 minute though.

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

No, still think Raya can make it, certainly better of the two of them, but if TM can pick up a decent keeper, who can handle crosses, al well and good, would keep Raya as back up.

Hes awful. Theres a reason he didnt play fot the club until we reached league 1. Distribution worst ive ever seen from a keeper, ability from crosses worrying, command of box pitiful. He can make a good save now and again, but christ hes a keeper, thats his job. Its the simple things that seperates a good keeper from a poor one.

• Like 1

The mind boggles at some of these comments on here, let’s face it whatever TM does there are some on here will never agree with his team selections.

Of course you have to blood one or two young ‘uns’ but you also have to win a football match, can certainly see Butterworth or Buckley playing a part on Monday, lot easier at home to blood them than away.

Hes learnt a lot over last few games, with his defensive duo of Lenihan/Williams, playing Travis in midfield and Rothwell on wing, also learnt today his reserve goalie isn’t up to it....

• Like 4

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm sorry Stuart but for me winning is everything.

It was for me in February and March.

Now, having made this phase of the season worthless, it’s all about planning for next season.

We will start next season with the same questions unanswered and no nearer. I’d have preferred Fisher having a run out today than Leutweiler who won’t be here next season anyway. We couldn’t as he’s out on loan. Will we be saying the same about some of our other youngsters?

Anyway don’t be sorry. Enjoy the win. I’m glad Rovers won, it’s better than losing but it means nothing in real terms (e.g. financially) and it came at an opportunity cost.

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

The mind boggles at some of these comments on here, let’s face it whatever TM does there are some on here will never agree with his team selections.

Of course you have to blood one or two young ‘uns’ but you also have to win a football match, can certainly see Butterworth or Buckley playing a part on Monday, lot easier at home to blood them than away.

Hes learnt a lot over last few games, with his defensive duo of Lenihan/Williams, playing Travis in midfield and Rothwell on wing, also learnt today his reserve goalie isn’t up to it....

So you agree but you still snipe.

There will be no youngsters on Monday, they have an important game on Tuesday.

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think he away win vindicates Mowbrays team selection. 

Honest question, can those who wanted more youngsters to start hold their hands up and say they wouldn't have critisiced Mowbray in some form if we lost?

I wanted a different team, but if we lost I wouldn't be happy. Now I am :)

The win doesn't vindicate the selection, because the criticism of the selection was never that it wasn't good enough to win the game.

No, I wouldn't have criticised him if we lost and he had blooded some youngsters. I and others have made it clear, we didn't value the result highly and we wanted youth to be given a chance. Why would we contradict ourselves by complaining about a defeat where youth was given a chance?

(This is assuming he didn't play them in ludicrous ways like Butterworth in goal)

Just now, Stuart said:

Now, having made this phase of the season worthless, it’s all about planning for next season.

We will start next season with the same questions unanswered and no nearer. I’d have preferred Fisher having a run out today than Leutweiler who won’t be here next season anyway. We couldn’t as he’s out on loan. Will we be saying the same about some of our other youngsters?

Anyway don’t be sorry. Enjoy the win. I’m glad Rovers won, it’s better than losing but it means nothing in real terms (e.g. financially) and it came at an opportunity cost.

So you don’t care about winning now but at the end of last season you had a meltdown because we didn’t go up as league one champions. Winning league one was as big an irrelevance as this game and we’re doing much better than the actual league one champions so I wonder what your angle actually is ? 

• Like 2

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

So you don’t care about winning now but at the end of last season you had a meltdown because we didn’t go up as league one champions. Winning league one was as big an irrelevance as this game and we’re doing much better than the actual league one champions so I wonder what your angle actually is ? 

You really need me to explain that one to you?

Keep trolling sunshine.

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

I think most people on this board know why your views have changed now.

it was a rhetorical question sunshine. 

My views haven’t changed.

I’ll let you work it out.

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree , a win is very important. However It wouldn't have hurt to have a couple of the young players on the bench and for one of them to have got the last 15 minute though.

I won’t argue with that, i’d like too see Butterworth get some game time. Maybe even Rankin-Costello, he’s a name that has been around for what seems like a while. Let’s see what he can do.

26 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I totally appreciate and share your criticism that no younger lads were included in the 18 over the likes of Smallwood and Mulgrew, however I think you are totally dismissing aspects of the performance which are planning for next season. To say the performance "means nothing" is IMO needlessly dismissive.

For example, whether he chooses to continue with this way of playing or not being another matter, but weve seen again the benefit of abandoning the need for a "defensive winger" and shown how well playing 2 attacking players (with Armstrong at his best on the right rather than left) in wide areas and how it doesnt lead to a defensive collapse. The 4 attacking players are all going to be here next year, and the 3 behind Graham are all of an age where they can have plenty of scope to improve, at 25, 24 and 22 years old.

Behind that, the likes of Travis and Lenihan are again young players to build around and were both outstanding, and i'd like to think that Williams days as a potential left back are long gone.

I didnt agree with giving a rubbish keeper a game, but I suspect it was more a case of punishing Raya for poor performances all season rather than aimed at Leutweiler.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

The win is a good enough result, obviously. The lack of desire to try the youngsters out, is not. The wins don't really matter anymore as safety is assured and promotion is impossible.

Very simple logic, I'm surprised you didn't follow it, as enough people have said it.

Mowbray doesn't need to test anyone at this point - he knows the players inside out and we need maximum points.  Just imagine if we'd played a rookie team and lost by a few, the MB would be in meltdown.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I totally appreciate and share your criticism that no younger lads were included in the 18 over the likes of Smallwood and Mulgrew, however I think you are totally dismissing aspects of the performance which are planning for next season. To say the performance "means nothing" is IMO needlessly dismissive.

For example, whether he chooses to continue with this way of playing or not being another matter, but weve seen again the benefit of abandoning the need for a "defensive winger" and shown how well playing 2 attacking players (with Armstrong at his best on the right rather than left) in wide areas and how it doesnt lead to a defensive collapse. The 4 attacking players are all going to be here next year, and the 3 behind Graham are all of an age where they can have plenty of scope to improve, at 25, 24 and 22 years old.

Behind that, the likes of Travis and Lenihan are again young players to build around and were both outstanding, and i'd like to think that Williams days as a potential left back are long gone.

I didnt agree with giving a rubbish keeper a game, but I suspect it was more a case of punishing Raya for poor performances all season rather than aimed at Leutweiler.

We’ve played this team already recently with success. What extra did we get today?

It’s hard to see what Mowbray did differently today to make it a learning exercise.

Seems a strange time to punish Raya though.

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

Mowbray doesn't need to test anyone at this point - he knows the players inside out and we need maximum points.  Just imagine if we'd played a rookie team and lost by a few, the MB would be in meltdown.

Nobody has called for a “rookie team” just a couple of youngsters given some game time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The win doesn't vindicate the selection, because the criticism of the selection was never that it wasn't good enough to win the game.

No, I wouldn't have criticised him if we lost and he had blooded some youngsters. I and others have made it clear, we didn't value the result highly and we wanted youth to be given a chance. Why would we contradict ourselves by complaining about a defeat where youth was given a chance?

(This is assuming he didn't play them in ludicrous ways like Butterworth in goal)

If he brought them in and we got spanked you would say that it's Mowbrays fault for bringing them into a struggling team. 

I wanted more young players to play but an away win with goals from  Graham and Dack is very satisfying. If we continue and win the next couple we could finish top half. It will make the table nicer to look at. It's also easier then to give the players the confidence to push on towards the play offs next season. 12th it's like top half lads, not too far from the plays offs". 

I hope at home on Monday he makes some changes ; Rodwell centre midfield,  Brereton instead of Armstrong or Rothwell. Maybe 10 minutes at the end for Buckley or Butterworth just to let them know they are part of his plans. I think Rodwell played centre mid against them earlier in the season when we won. Wasn't it the last game against them when he made the most wholesale changes between games all season? He could literally do anything though, I couldn't predict what team will play. It could even be the same as today knowing him ?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel