BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at QPR - Good Friday 19th April 2019

Just now, 47er said:

In reality, people simply think that Mowbray could have done a lot better with what he has. Clearly that does not equate to thinking we could do a better job!

But for someone with such experience he has made some bewildering decisions. Can you explain them?

Fans on here have pleaded with him to play Travis and Reed in the middle together, warned him against moving Darling on without signing a replacement, continually told him Evans/Smallwood were not a viable pairing, expressed astonishment that Rothwell was continually left out, begged him to stop playing players out of position, and suggested that changing the team every game was not helping us. Fans on here have also specifically pointed to lack of spending on defence and, surprise, we have shipped goals by the bucket-load.

Perhaps the core of BRFC posters aren't as daft as you seem to think.

" moving Darling on without signing a replacement " . I thought we swapped him for Bryan Conlon but wasn't that a bit before Mowbray's time ?

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" moving Darling on without signing a replacement " . I thought we swapped him for Bryan Conlon but wasn't that a bit before Mowbray's time ?

Darling/ Downing----what's in a name! I'll correct that now so your post doesn't make sense!   :P

13 hours ago, 47er said:

Bloody hell, you think that a manager should take 43 games out of 46 to get "close to his best 11" and that's something to rejoice about?  :wacko:

That's utterly unbelievable.    

Just trying to provide some balance against the drivel posted by the usual 'goldfish' ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Doug said:

Just trying to provide some balance against the drivel posted by the usual 'goldfish' ?

You mean that if someone posts something ridiculous you'll outdo them?

Check who's liked your post and get a grip!

Edited by 47er
afterthought!

Just an observation but the pro-Mowbray gang seem to spend an awful lot of time attacking people, ad hominem, for their different opinions than actually putting forward their own views.

Interesting how emboldened they become after a run of 2 or 3 wins then disappear completely when normal service resumes.

Always the same posters too.

• Like 2

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Bloody Rovers fans on here enjoying wins.

But you and your ilk aren’t “enjoying wins”, you are enjoying the opportunity to score points.

Well, make hay while the sun shines.

Do you think any of our young players should be given a chance in the first team before the end of the season?

Just now, Stuart said:

But you and your ilk aren’t “enjoying wins”, you are enjoying the opportunity to score points.

Well, make hay while the sun shines.

Do you think any of our young players should be given a chance in the first team before the end of the season?

You and your "ilk" were doing exactly the same during the miserable run, which made it even more miserable. I often found myself starting to believe that some actually enjoyed defeats.

I was very disappointed with the line up yesterday and I'm not buying the "disrupting the u23's season" line.

I'm not Mowbray's biggest fan but I'm also not a fan of repetition and grinding negativity. 

Edited by deryck guyler's spoon
  • Like 2

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I was very disappointed with the line up yesterday and I'm not buying the "disrupting the u23's season" line.

I'm not Mowbray's biggest fan but I'm also not a fan of repetition and grinding negativity. 

The thing is, this was my only beef yesterday yet I (and a few others) have been goaded to death about “negativity”.

I wanted a couple of U23s to get their chance yesterday, yet for some reason I’m supposed to say “never mind that we won!”.

If anything, having to put up with the giddy abuse after a few wins is even more galling.

It doesn’t matter if we win the next 3 games but if we do we’ll be on 65 points and that will suddenly become evidence of how great Mowbray is. Rather than show what could have been if we had strengthens in January. What is even worse is that it will paper over the cracks - just like it did in January - and may just stop us recruiting for the positions we all know are required. And we won’t even know if they can be covered by youngsters.

Aiming for those wins now is too little, too late. Still as long as Mowbray gets to his self-imposes and arbitrary 60 point target he will have “achieved”.

Frustrating is what it is. And we’ve already been through this process once with Bowyer.

• Like 1

Always good to win but it's a bittersweet feeling now we have nothing to play for. If we had played like this back in February, who knows where we'd be now. Too little, too late. 

As much as we'd love the last few games to be a Damascene moment for Mowbray, I still think we'll see the same dumbing down of expectations and stubborn loyalty to the senior pros next season. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, DE. said:

The problem is most of us were asking for Rothwell & Travis to play regularly months ago, and it's pretty obvious a keeper who we bought from Shrewsbury's reserves wasn't going to be up to much at this level. The only surprise has been Williams' excellent displays at CB, but I hope it doesn't discourage us from bringing in a better partner for Lenihan. It's nice that Williams has looked good at CB in a few dead rubber games, it might even mean he's good enough to act as competition in that area, but we still need to look to improve.

Yep,think Bauer from Charlton will be here in close season, like I said not keen on Leutwiler but he certainly didn’t come from Shrewsbury’s reserves he was their main guy who kept a record number of clean sheets for them, but not good enough in championship IMO.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Just an observation but the pro-Mowbray gang seem to spend an awful lot of time attacking people, ad hominem, for their different opinions than actually putting forward their own views.

Interesting how emboldened they become after a run of 2 or 3 wins then disappear completely when normal service resumes.

Always the same posters too.

Just a rehash of the mid to late Bowyer tenure although surprisingly a few are now on the opposite side of the fence bemoaning the things they defended Gary for ?

Quite how anyone can say the reaction to the run of defeats and the highlighting of continual weaknesses by the manager from almost his entire tenure is a knee jerk reaction is bewildering really.  Each to their own but I suppose if you only pop on to stir the pot it makes sense, I think this summer might be one of the most divisive yet on here and that's saying something.

Can't wait.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

An enjoyable trip to London and a fairly routine win in glorious sunshine - a perfect day!

Lenihan and Williams continue to impress as a defensive partnership and Travis had another excellent game in midfield.  The disappointment was Leutwiler who totally failed to impress on the one occasion he was called to do something.  Raya is a young 'keeper with huge potential but he needs better than Leutwiler to challenge him for the number one spot.

I think today also underlined the fact that we need another striker to support Danny Graham because when he goes off we really are lacking in terms of someone who can hold the ball up.  He's still our best out and out front man by a country mile.

We are on course for a comfortable mid-table finish which is surely what most would have settled for at the start of the season.  It's been a season of ups and downs but we've never really been in any serious trouble which underlines, for me, what a good job the manager and players have done this season.

I didn't expect any of the youngsters to play today or on Monday with such a tough game at Goodison Park on Tuesday.  We haven't beaten Everton Under-23's in four meetings thus far this season so I can fully understand why those players were left out today to give them time to prepare for Tuesday's cup-tie which will be a very difficult game - Everton, like ourselves, have a cracking Under-23 team .

Spot on as usual, must admit forgot about Everton game on Tuesday, hence lack of a couple of youngsters on bench, might stick a couple on last two games, think TM knows now who can and who can’t do the business.

Lenihan nailed on as no 1 centre back, Williams not far behind, with Bauer hopefully coming in, Travis sorted central midfield position and Rothwell improving every match, for wing ,Dack  back to normal, need a striker to challenge Graham and hopefully Butterworth can step up.

Full backs are sometimes a problem, Bell good going forward but not the best defensively, Bennett/ Nyambe sometimes a bit iffy, already looking forward to close season to see who TM can get in, played well last 3 games, hopefully another 6 points and a decent season.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Paul said:

You need to keep in mind the core of BRFCS posters, not necessarily the one you quoted, have nothing positive to say about the club. Team performance, selection, management, ticket prices, club management and every other aspect of Blackburn Rovers is subject to subjective criticism.

I knew before logging in the thread would be full of complaints about a good away win it was just a question of which aspect. We won and I expected nothing less than a team selection which took every opportunity to do so. Any other selection is disrespectful to the fans, especially those who travelled, opposition and league. How often do we hear complaints about PL teams playing second string in cup matches rendering them meaningless?

The only surprise is how many in here have not applied to be club manager or CEO when they clearly feel able to do a better job than the incumbents.

Great post.

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, unsall said:

Yep,think Bauer from Charlton will be here in close season, like I said not keen on Leutwiler but he certainly didn’t come from Shrewsbury’s reserves he was their main guy who kept a record number of clean sheets for them, but not good enough in championship IMO.

I thought he had been dropped to their reserve goalie that season, but I might be thinking of Downing being backup at MK Dons. Either way we should be looking to get rid of both and improve. They've served their purpose, Downing more than Leutwiler admittedly, but it should now be a case of thanks and good luck in future.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DE. said:

I thought he had been dropped to their reserve goalie that season, but I might be thinking of Downing being backup at MK Dons. Either way we should be looking to get rid of both and improve. They've served their purpose, Downing more than Leutwiler admittedly, but it should now be a case of thanks and good luck in future.

I’d say Jayson “International Break” Leutwiler played a big part for us last season...

I had no reason to doubt him...

until he played 

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’d say Jayson “International Break” Leutwiler played a big part for us last season...

I had no reason to doubt him...

until he played 

Honestly that was one of the things that annoyed me about last season. "Well, at least Rovers will still be playing during the international breaks". Nope.

19 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Jesus wept.  He watches the players day-in-day-out.  We should aim to gather maximum points - surely that's the objective at the start of the season.  

Unless he watches them day in and day out playing against senior players competitively, I'm not sure why you think that merits a jesus-wept.

13 hours ago, Paul said:

You need to keep in mind the core of BRFCS posters, not necessarily the one you quoted, have nothing positive to say about the club. Team performance, selection, management, ticket prices, club management and every other aspect of Blackburn Rovers is subject to subjective criticism.

I knew before logging in the thread would be full of complaints about a good away win it was just a question of which aspect. We won and I expected nothing less than a team selection which took every opportunity to do so. Any other selection is disrespectful to the fans, especially those who travelled, opposition and league. How often do we hear complaints about PL teams playing second string in cup matches rendering them meaningless?

The only surprise is how many in here have not applied to be club manager or CEO when they clearly feel able to do a better job than the incumbents.

That’s a really cheap post.

Disrespectful to fans to bring in a couple of Rovers youngsters? It was more disrespectful to play a goalkeeper who is leaving in the Summer. What was that all about- reward for his patience? What if he had cost us those important points? (He certainly cost us a goal).

Once again the counter to a reasoned, middle-ground point is to go to invent an extreme opposing view to then shoot down. There’s a phrase for that but people don’t like to hear it.

As it happens, Mowbray took Davenport and Chapman and didn’t even name them in the squad. But why those two when there are others in the squad who have shown they deserve a chance? Well, could it be because Tony signed them both?

Of course you (or someone) will turn this into “well Mowbray IS giving the youth players some experience then what’s the problem, always moaning” however the fact that he has taken those two in particular is another sign that our home grown lads have a very slim chance to get in to Mowbray’s plans. They have to wait for a dire injury situation, hope Mowbray doesn’t prefer to play someone else out of position, and then perform out of their skin when they get there. Every game. At least until preferred players are fit. Travis is the only player who has managed to be successful but it took longer than it should have as Tony dropped him for 10 games following an early red card. Then when he came in away at Newcastle he showed why he deserves to be in the side. Then we had the January run which saved our season but still it seems Mowbray doesn’t trust him.

But, no it’s just the core of BRFCS posters who have nothing positive to say about the club. Such spite. 

Hard to fathom the backlash towards disappointment in Mowbray not bringing some of Johnson’s men into it - at this stage. If I were Johnson I’d be taking my skills elsewhere. They are wasted under this manager. Much like our transfer budget.

But hey, we won a dead rubber.

• Like 1

Hypothetical conversation in the dressing room after the match:

TM to Lewis Travis - What the hell do you think you are doing driving into their box after only 22 minutes?

Travis - Well I got a penalty didn’t I boss.

TM - What would have happened if they had hit us on the counter?

Travis - Sorry boss

TM - You know I only like to play with 2 and a half forwards and like my 2 centre midfields to sit well outside the box passing side to side or backwards and try to break up any counter attacks

Travis - Sorry, you know best boss. In future I will stay well out.

TM - Good lad. I think you are starting to understand the Mowbray way.

• Like 4