BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton at home.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Thought it wasnt a great performance nor a great game against a horrendous side, but a comfortable win with plenty of positives.

Brereton was much, much better. Superb finish, although missed a couple of other chances including an absolute sitter, but that monkey is hopefully off his back. Also though some of his hold up in general was much better. One thing I would say is he doesnt spend enough time central, he drifts to the sides too often and it can leave us without a pivot, I get that its not his game but when someone has the ball wide he needs to get in between the posts.

The three in behind him all played their part in the second goal and obviously Dacks pass for the first was excellent without any of them being at their absolute best, Rothwell I would say was the best of the 3.

Thought Rodwell was very impressive, Travis didnt have his best game before getting injured but Rodwell looked so composed, looked more energetic and played one ball in particular that I felt Armstrong didnt put 100% into getting on the end of that split the whole defence. Worth a new deal solely as a midfielder. 

Lenihan and Williams totally fine again, look good together, Bell I thought first half in particular was very erratic again, not a fan, Nyambe not the most convincing either. Bennett isnt a central midfielder either, some terrible passes when he came on.

In terms of the 2 younger lads, Butterworth added urgency, went on a lovely run and in general kept wanting the ball and looked a threat. Buckley sadly I thought looked well off the pace and well out of his depth, his shot summed up his performance really as much as I was to willing him to impress, I feel like hes quite a bit from being a squad regular at the moment.

It’s interesting reading about ppls different interpretation of the game. I thought Buckley was very good when he came on but seems quite a few fans felt he was a little off the pace. 

Why 18 months?

Maybe two years as that would give him two full seasons. A lot of it is about attitude and desire with Rodwell so I think you need to keep him on his toes by giving him a short-ish deal. It’s well known he’s worth a lot of money so he doesn’t need to play football anymore, so it’s about keeping his interest alive. 

• Like 2

Thought it wasnt a great performance nor a great game against a horrendous side, but a comfortable win with plenty of positives.

Brereton was much, much better. Superb finish, although missed a couple of other chances including an absolute sitter, but that monkey is hopefully off his back. Also though some of his hold up in general was much better. One thing I would say is he doesnt spend enough time central, he drifts to the sides too often and it can leave us without a pivot, I get that its not his game but when someone has the ball wide he needs to get in between the posts.

The three in behind him all played their part in the second goal and obviously Dacks pass for the first was excellent without any of them being at their absolute best, Rothwell I would say was the best of the 3.

Thought Rodwell was very impressive, Travis didnt have his best game before getting injured but Rodwell looked so composed, looked more energetic and played one ball in particular that I felt Armstrong didnt put 100% into getting on the end of that split the whole defence. Worth a new deal solely as a midfielder.  

Lenihan and Williams totally fine again, look good together, Bell I thought first half in particular was very erratic again, not a fan, Nyambe not the most convincing either. Bennett isnt a central midfielder either, some terrible passes when he came on.

In terms of the 2 younger lads, Butterworth added urgency, went on a lovely run and in general kept wanting the ball and looked a threat. Buckley sadly I thought looked well off the pace and well out of his depth, his shot summed up his performance really as much as I was to willing him to impress, I feel like hes quite a bit from being a squad regular at the moment.

Brereton runs the channels constantly, and I thought he was very good at it. He didn't win a single header though.

Travis was the best player on the pitch 1st half, kept breaking up their attacks. Rodwell looked very composed. 

I think you're harsh on Buckley. He carried the ball forward a couple of times and was always asking for the ball. He always looked forward with the ball. He just looked a bit nervous. Physically he looked very slight too.

Butterworth looks ready-made for this level. He's stocky and strong for a lad his age. 

• Like 2

That was just about as comfortable as winning a football match is. Bolton just didn't want to know and if we had played with more intensity could have had five. Good to see Brereton score and he could have had a hat trick with a little more care. Travis and Rodwell ran the game and Rothwell continued to excite the crowd albeit running a little blind at times. Really good to see two hungry young players come on as Buckley and Butterworth looked to get on the ball, played quickly and looked for give and go's.

• Like 4

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Brereton runs the channels constantly, and I thought he was very good at it. He didn't win a single header though.

Travis was the best player on the pitch 1st half, kept breaking up their attacks. Rodwell looked very composed. 

I think you're harsh on Buckley. He carried the ball forward a couple of times and was always asking for the ball. He always looked forward with the ball. He just looked a bit nervous. Physically he looked very slight too.

Butterworth looks ready-made for this level. He's stocky and strong for a lad his age. 

Im not writing Buckley off, nor am I unaware that it is very understandable for him to show signs of nerves. I just thought he looked like a fish out of water. I'm sure hes got a bright future but to be honest 2-0 up against a shocking, relegated Bolton is as comfortable a game as he could get and he looked off the pace. 

Also, I think Butterworths position meant that of course any mistakes are less likely to cause problems, but I just thought he looked miles closer to pushing for a squad place on a more regular basis. 

Im not writing Buckley off, nor am I unaware that it is very understandable for him to show signs of nerves. I just thought he looked like a fish out of water. I'm sure hes got a bright future but to be honest 2-0 up against a shocking, relegated Bolton is as comfortable a game as he could get and he looked off the pace. 

Also, I think Butterworths position meant that of course any mistakes are less likely to cause problems, but I just thought he looked miles closer to pushing for a squad place on a more regular basis. 

Buckley has a weird shuffling running action, and he also makes Russell Beardsmore look like The Rock. However, you could see he had ability and a football brain.  

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Buckley has a weird shuffling running action, and he also makes Russell Beardsmore look like The Rock. However, you could see he had ability and a football brain.  

I thought his running style with and without the ball was like Phil Foden's. I thought he was looking to get on the ball and get things happening. Seems to be a confident kid.

• Like 1

The line up, the result, clean sheet, kids get a game, nice weather . I couldn't find anything to moan about today....

Until I saw this monstrosity. Waggots only been dying Jack's fountain claret. Your welcome fellow moaners

Edit. Picture won't load. 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

The line up, the result, clean sheet, kids get a game, nice weather . I couldn't find anything to moan about today....

Until I saw this monstrosity. Waggots only been dying Jack's fountain claret. Your welcome fellow moaners

Edit. Picture won't load. 

Last gasp attempt to get the attendances up before the summer trip to India :) ,  Easter miracle, blood of christ , water into wine ? Get your tickets here to see it (3 quid surcharge after mid day)

Just now, matt83 said:

Luca Connell looks like he has some promise if plundering a relegated side.

Me and my mate were having a laugh calling him Luca Modric, he did stand out for them... probably the hair.

Not much to moan about... again (wow). Manager is picking a team that agrees with the fans, gave the kids a go and Brereton finally got his goal, plus it's another win without Smallwood anywhere near the team.

I thought Butterworth showed more than Buckley - then again, one got to play a free #10 role, and the other got to play next to Elliott "I'll probably pass it to a Bolton player" Bennett.

Lenihan captain next season. 4 points to end the season and top 10 finish! ?

• Like 2

Thought today encapsulated our season. When we were good we were very, very good, when we were bad we were atrocious. 

Cliche but true a game of two halves - first half we were appalling. We gifted Bolton a host of chances, made them look quite good and looked utterly toothless in attack and created nothing. Then out of the blue, we played our first good bit of football and were one nil up from a well taken Bereton goal. 

Second half we dominated a deflated and tired looking Bolton team, with pretty much everyone looking pretty good. 

A few thoughts: 

Spot on with the team selection today imo. Gave our second centre forward and second keeper the chance to show what they are made of, and gave the youngsters plenty of time. 

Bereton looked ok. Not a world beater, and when we are struggling and have a tendency to hoof it long - like we were in the first half - he's a peripheral figure. When we're playing good stuff, and some through balls, and on top, mainly in the second half plus the one wonder move in the first, he looked rather promising. Horses for courses - he might not be a nag - although it is only one outing - but he really doesn't fit our plan A. But I was pleasantly surprised at how he did (and other than the wonder move out of nowhere, Messi or no one would've shone up top for us. We seem to be limited to target men centre forwards only thriving under TM). 

First half was poop. Really bad. In the euphoria of a win, a Bereton goal and a great second half showing, that really should not be lost. Biggest criticism of TM and worry from today, we simply take too long to get started, and against better teams we will get punished for it (and have.) Perhaps more than a leaky defense, no plan B, adequate cover in areas, this may be the biggest problem that needs to be addressed. 

In the direness of the first half I thought Dack looked hungry for the ball and Travis looked up for it throwing himself everywhere. Good attitude from both players when our heads were down. 

Williams looked solid at centre back. Never thought I'd use the words Williams and solid in the same sentence, at least not without putting head in between those two words, but he looked pretty good and even quite composed on the ball. I know it was only Bolton but he looked miles more comfortable and not a liability at cb. 

Why are both Armstrong and Nayambe both afraid of going to the byline and afraid of crossing? the latter in particular irritated me all afternoon. 

Rothwell when on song looked good, as did Dack, as did the youngsters who came on. Number 34 (Butterworth?) a bit nervous when first came on but both grew into the game adding energy and looking comfortable. 

Thought Rodwell was a bit anonymous and no great shakes (noticed Travis more) but when he went off until Butterworth(?) settled down we missed his presence so perhaps he was doing better than I thought. 

Lenihen was also solid at the back. 

Leuitweiler - my word he is not a keeper. Fumbled a number of shots, punches softer than a 2 year old, struggles to kick and positionally was a bit suspect a few times. Goodness me, no way should he even be back up. Seemed like an autition for a Steele impersination, although fortunately there weren't any real clangers. 

Overall we saw exactly why we are where we are. We showed our attacking talent, energy and some bright young players, and we also showed at times we offer nothing and gift the opposition with openings. Some teams will capitalize on our weaknesses and punish us, others will be poor quality, won't and we;ll do them when we finally get going. The frustrating thing is, play like the second half and play offs aren't unrealistic. Play like the first, and relegation is very much on the table too. Nothing much learned today, but glard the positive side edged out the weaker side, and we got a win in the sunshine. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Forget about playing Rodwell at centre half. He’s the most talented central midfielder in the squad, if we make his move permanent he could be a star for us in that position next season. 

Agreed.  He looks quality in there and was full of running.  Quite happy to see Travis and Rodwell start together next season. 

Bolton were really poor though.  Felt for their fans (well for a minute or 2).

Thought Butterworth looked good when he came on.  Hope to see more of him.  Buckley looked shell shocked for the first 7 to 8 mins but seemed to grow into it  as the game drew to a conclusion.

Finally, well done Brereton.  Thought he had a decen game today.  Lots to improve but hopefully he gains confidence from this.

• Backroom

Credit to the Bolton fans today, hardly stopped singing and in general having a good time with some witty chants.

The Bassini chants may be premature mind you 

• Like 3

Happy days doing the double over them lot.

Not a vintage performance but job done nonetheless.

We could’ve attacked them with more intent. Felt like a training exercise at times but with both teams being where we are at this stage of the season it’s not something to get wound up over.

Well done to Brereton for getting off the mark & well done to the young lads off the bench who I thought gave a good account of themselves.

Again, Rodwell showed why he is a no brainer for me. Great option to have in the middle next season.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

Credit to the Bolton fans today, hardly stopped singing and in general having a good time with some witty chants.

The Bassini chants may be premature mind you 

Credit to those who stayed for 2nd half. Stood outside JW at half time and loads walked out. Think they were trying to head to town centre for a fight. Quickly followed by a van full of fuzz so dont think they made it ???

4 hours ago, Neal said:

Butterworth looks very similar to Chapman. 

The subs were warming up at half time and I said to my mates. "There's Harry Chapman".

It was his doppelgänger, Butterworth. 

Also for Tom's information, Bennett was with the warming up lads, too.

Enjoyable game which I never felt we would fail to win at any point, even with their promising start. Bolton looked so punchless and devoid of ideas up front, with 35 year old Clayton Donaldson looking worse than I remembered from when he was at Brum.

Thought Butterworth looked decent. Williams and Lenihan seem the best centre back pairing we have found although I'm not convinced it's good enough for a top 6 push.

Edited by Hasta

Just now, bazza said:

The subs were warming up at half time and I said to my mates. "There's Harry Chapman".

It was his doppelgänger, Butterworth. 

Also for Tom's information, Bennett was with the warming up lads, too.

Very similar build, hair, running style. Be useful next season I think. 

Whoever heard of that rumour that we'd have to pay more for Chapman if he plays this season looks to be right on the money. 

Edited by Neal

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Satisfying outcome. Bolton were as poor as I’ve ever seen. Luca Connell looks like he has some promise if plundering a relegated side. The rest looked like they’d never played.

Out of contract in the summer. In fact he’s still on a scholars contract and they haven’t tied him down to a pro-deal!

I’m hearing Burnley is the likely destination...