BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton at home.

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

Can't really say I've seen any hate for Brereton at all on twitter, the odd comparisons with Kevin Davies at Rovers has been about as strong as its got.  The majority have just quite understandably been questioning the wisdom of the deal and its cost weighed against what the team needs in other areas.

But we are firmly in an era where mock outrage rules and social media is a tool for some to try and seek out offence in something that isn't really there. Oh for the days people could just feel free to say their bit in the heat of the moment then forget about it and move on without the annoyance of some weirdo looking for their electric footprint to start an argument ?

Preach ?? 

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Some folk are just trolls and will say outrageous things because they can and for a reaction, they doesn’t reflect the fanbase in any way.

But of course the usual ‘see! Typical, negative Rovers fans’ brigade will be all over it.

“A hugely strange signing.” 4/10/18

“Imagine how much worse it will be if he is still a flop come January and we have to sell Dack to pay for him!” 5/10/18

“In my opinion, a signing as puzzling as many others in recent years.” 7/10/18

“£6m down the swanny” 13/10/18

“He's been a bit Chris Brown if anything.” 27/10/18

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biz said:

“Imagine how much worse it will be if he is still a flop come January and we have to sell Dack to pay for him!” 5/10/18

You've been very generous there. A cursory look through the dedicated thread is enough to confirm how much the usual suspects have enjoyed getting stuck into Ben Brereton.

4 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

You've been very generous there. A cursory look through the dedicated thread is enough to confirm how much the usual suspects have enjoyed getting stuck into Ben Brereton.

Biz very generous to the usual suspects!!!!  :o :o :o

People tend to speak as they find going off what they've seen.

Now we have the 'hindsighters' after he's finally notched one which was bound to happen sooner or later.

Puts to bed the New Chris Brown myth though at least !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biz said:

£7m + 1 goal + 1 season = Romario

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

£7m + 1 goal + 1 season = Romario

As @deryck guyler's spoon points out, I merely looked back to a month or two after his signing and it’s littered with ridiculously premature criticisms.

If you take the trip down memory lane you’ll see I haven’t changed my tune because he scored a goal. 

To break it down;

1) The fee is overly criticised

2) His time has been limited and out of position

3) He is still a young lad with raw attributes

To quote you Blueboy “the End”!

Just now, Biz said:

As @deryck guyler's spoon points out, I merely looked back to a month or two after his signing and it’s littered with ridiculously premature criticisms.

If you take the trip down memory lane you’ll see I haven’t changed my tune because he scored a goal. 

To break it down;

They are all from October 2018. I knew your maths was a bit out when you stated he was a bargain because of the flex but I didn't think you were that bad at counting.

But lets take those criticisms you've found in the last month or two  from 6 months ago one-by-one:-

9 hours ago, Biz said:

Yep, £7m for a reserve. Very strange.

9 hours ago, Biz said:

Fair comment. Unless of course you know what Venky's are thinking. It's not like they've sold players at the drop of a hat before...oh hang on...

9 hours ago, Biz said:

Yep, £7m for a reserve signing in the Championship. Puzzling indeed

9 hours ago, Biz said:

Still a possibility. He's scored 1 goal in 1 season, mainly because he hasn't been deemed good enough to start. 

9 hours ago, Biz said:

Unfair. Chris Brown could head it;)

Just now, Biz said:

Indeed. 

• Like 1

They are all from October 2018. I knew your maths was a bit out when you stated he was a bargain because of the flex but I didn't think you were that bad at counting.

But lets take those criticisms you've found in the last month or two  from 6 months ago one-by-one:-

Yep, £7m for a reserve. Very strange.

Fair comment. Unless of course you know what Venky's are thinking. It's not like they've sold players at the drop of a hat before...oh hang on...

Yep, £7m for a reserve signing in the Championship. Puzzling indeed

Still a possibility. He's scored 1 goal in 1 season, mainly because he hasn't been deemed good enough to start. 

Unfair. Chris Brown could head it;)

Indeed. 

I said a month or two after his signing? Not in the last month or two. At least do the vindictive stuff with accuracy BB.

Id be interested to see where I called him a bargain. As you say “flex” though - the very guy who signs the contracts loosely said in an interview “we had a budget, we could do bigger fees with less wages, and vice versa” (included the link for you my friend..!)

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16984616.rovers-have-big-belief-in-brereton-says-ceo-waggott/

So, a big outlay for any club in our position but worthy of such immediate expectation and criticism? That’s up to you to decide. From my perspective it was, is and will forever be barmy! Bit like suggesting he can’t head a ball because he’s not Graham.

Edited by Biz

BB still has to offer more regardless of the goal. Great finish with his weaker foot though. Thought that whilst he looked tidy around the box he didn't offer anything as close as DG does. To be expected, perhaps, as Brereton is 10+ years his junior. 

Here's to hoping he starts the last two and Graham gets a well deserved rest. If Brereton gets two hat tricks vs Norwich and Swansea he can stay I suppose

Just now, Biz said:

So, a big outlay for any club in our position but worthy of such immediate expectation and criticism?

The first part dictates the second part of your sentence. Always will. And if those 'criticisms' are the best/most damning you can find then you really don't have a point anyway.

It's funny you've had to wait 8 months since his signing to try and claim some moral victory because he's just scored his first goal ? The irony may be lost on you. 

The first part dictates the second part of your sentence. Always will. And if those 'criticisms' are the best/most damning you can find then you really don't have a point anyway.

It's funny you've had to wait 8 months since his signing to try and claim some moral victory because he's just scored his first goal ? The irony may be lost on you. 

I haven’t claimed any victory, I’m not myopic enough to see this place as “defending” or “attacking”.

The quotes from October are just to point out to that despite @tomphil not seeing any “hate” for the lad, @Mattyblue is absolutely spot on in saying “Some folk are just trolls and will say outrageous things because they can and for a reaction,”; I just gave you some examples.

0B3F73C8-CDEE-442A-8A25-7E40F53E0BEF.jpeg

Rein? Or reign? Pah

Edited by Biz

Just now, Biz said:

Some folk are just trolls and will say outrageous things because they can and for a reaction,”; I just gave you some examples.

If you think those are trolls saying 'outrageous things' then you yourself are a troll looking to be outraged. I've even been kind enough to take those criticism one-by-one to point out why they are reasonable comments, or at least not 'outrageous'. I can do no more for you. 

The end. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

I said a month or two after his signing? Not in the last month or two. At least do the vindictive stuff with accuracy BB.

Id be interested to see where I called him a bargain. As you say “flex” though - the very guy who signs the contracts loosely said in an interview “we had a budget, we could do bigger fees with less wages, and vice versa” (included the link for you my friend..!)

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16984616.rovers-have-big-belief-in-brereton-says-ceo-waggott/

So, a big outlay for any club in our position but worthy of such immediate expectation and criticism? That’s up to you to decide. From my perspective it was, is and will forever be barmy! Bit like suggesting he can’t head a ball because he’s not Graham.

The problem with the flex issue is that youve given yourself creative license in terms of assuming a particularly low wage to make a mockery of what is a very healthy amount of money. We may not have been able to afford say Bamford or Grabban for example so you would be right there but its definitely fair to suggest that we could have spent it more effectively, without needing to presume and guestimate his wages based on very little evidence.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Bit like suggesting he can’t head a ball because he’s not Graham.

Nobody has ever said that (as per usual!). For my part I've simply said he can't or doesn't head the ball.

Is that a fair criticism or not? Its certainly a strange aptitude to lack for a tall striker costing £7M at such a young age.

Edited by 47er
Typo for Biz

If you think those are trolls saying 'outrageous things' then you yourself are a troll looking to be outraged. I've even been kind enough to take those criticism one-by-one to point out why they are reasonable comments, or at least not 'outrageous'. I can do no more for you. 

The end. 

... finally stooping to the level of “I’m not a troll, you’re a troll”.. dearie me.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The problem with the flex issue is that youve given yourself creative license in terms of assuming a particularly low wage to make a mockery of what is a very healthy amount of money. We may not have been able to afford say Bamford or Grabban for example so you would be right there but its definitely fair to suggest that we could have spent it more effectively, without needing to presume and guestimate his wages based on very little evidence.

Further, since Brereton has hardly played at all, we could have done just as well without him.

But if we'd spent that money on, say, 2 good defenders, wouldn't we have been much better off?

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I never once said it couldn’t have been spent more effectively. I have said it’s not as simple as some think.  

That was never the argument. See below;

41 minutes ago, Biz said:

To break it down;

Just now, 47er said:

Nobody has ever said that (as per usual!). For my part I've simply said he can't of doesn't head the ball.

Is that a fair criticism or not? Its certainly a strange aptitude to lack for a tall striker costing £7M at such a young ag

BB just said he can’t head a ball. 

Your sentence doesn’t make sense “he can’t of”... it’s one way round saying “he can’t head a ball” I guess... ;) !

I don’t think anyone at Ewood could argue they’ve seen enough of him to say he can’t head a ball.

Edited by Biz

19 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

He's managed the huge total of 1,ONE goal and he's now beyond criticism...you just can't win with some folk!

Exactly.  He's got off the mark, and long may it continue, but undue praise is just as kneejerk as those writing him off, if not more so.

Brereton was a big investment for us, and fans can only judge a player from what they see. There was nothing in his appearances that justified the £7m outlay. Most of the criticism has been aimed at the price tag rather than the player himself.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Biz said:

I never once said it couldn’t have been spent more effectively. I have said it’s not as simple as some think.  

That was never the argument. See below;

BB just said he can’t head a ball. 

Your sentence doesn’t make sense “he can’t of”... it’s one way round saying “he can’t head a ball” I guess... ;) !

I don’t think anyone at Ewood could argue they’ve seen enough of him to say he can’t head a ball.

Jesus, Biz, it doesn't take a genius to see that "of" should read "or".

Your last sentence is ridiculous. Glad to see you admit now that the money could have been spent more effectively, that wasn't your attitude earlier on.

"Hindsight" I guess!

Just now, 47er said:

Jesus, Biz, it doesn't take a genius to see that "of" should read "or".

Your last sentence is ridiculous. Glad to see you admit now that the money could have been spent more effectively, that wasn't your attitude earlier on.

"Hindsight" I guess!

Admit now? I never argued that then. You only read what you want to.