BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Kits 19/20  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What should the home kit always be?

• Royal blue and white shirt
    • Lighter blue and white shirt
    • Blue shorts
    • White shorts
    • Blue socks
    • White socks

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

Each deal is different but the manufacturer usually pays a fee to licence the kit & takes the lion’s share of the mark up...I dare say Rovers negotiating power is somewhat lower than Man Utd’s ! 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/premier-league-transfer-news-epl-cristiano-ronaldo-shirt-sales-fee-net-worth-contract-how-long-a8456191.html

I would love to see Rovers stick two fingers up to Umbro and manufacture their own kit and leisure wear ideally locally sourced. I'm no businessman but I reckon with both manufacturer and Rovers still making a tidy profit they could retail them much cheaper than with some greedy manufacturer like Umbro. The leisure wear is limited and ridiculously overpriced too.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Does anyone know why Umbro manufactured clubs like Hull and Brentford are unveiling/releasing their new shirts in early June and we are a month behind them?

For what worth, I would imagine that Umbro plan a rollout schedule with each of their clubs so that each club has its moment in the sun as it were & Umbro have something to publicise at regular intervals. 

I once read that kit designs are agreed a long time in advance, production schedules determine availability. Remember, Hearts kit was out weeks before Hull/Brentford/Derby etc. I suspect our position in the queue is at least in part due to commercial reasons i.e. we won’t sell that many (relatively speaking) so our kit comes out later. ?‍♂️

Just now, arbitro said:

I would love to see Rovers stick two fingers up to Umbro and manufacture their own kit and leisure wear ideally locally sourced. I'm no businessman but I reckon with both manufacturer and Rovers still making a tidy profit they could retail them much cheaper than with some greedy manufacturer like Umbro. The leisure wear is limited and ridiculously overpriced too.

I wonder what work Rovers put into determining what kit manufacturer to use. I say that because for the last 10-15 years we've been stuck with Umbro (apart from a couple of seasons with Nike but that was because Nike took over the Umbro contracts). The pricing and range of clothing is appalling. I like wearing Rovers tops/jumpers but on principle I will not pay 40 quid for a nylon t shirt.

I'd be interested in discovering whether anyone at Rovers assesses the range Umbro provide and consider going elsewhere to Adidas, Macron, Kappa etc. Who all appear to offer superior selection and pricing.

As it is it seems to be a case of 'this is where we are' and we just take whatever Umbro send our way. Easier that way.

Just now, arbitro said:

I like Umbro as a brand but I agree that Rovers don’t exactly have a global reach these days & so the advantages of such a tie in aren’t what they once were. Last season’s Aston Villa deal was an interesting one along on the lines you suggest but even then, they have reverted to going with Kappa now back in the PL. 

I suspect the fear would be in venturing into an industry without the requisite contacts, network & knowledge. Imagine if “Rovers Leisure” was set up & then lost money...we’d all be calling for Waggott’s head (what a name for a pub that would be...) so I fully understand why hardly any clubs do it these days.

Perhaps we could bring Wayne Hemingway on board...he’s done stuff for Rovers before now...

For what worth, I would imagine that Umbro plan a rollout schedule with each of their clubs so that each club has its moment in the sun as it were & Umbro have something to publicise at regular intervals. 

I once read that kit designs are agreed a long time in advance, production schedules determine availability. Remember, Hearts kit was out weeks before Hull/Brentford/Derby etc. I suspect our position in the queue is at least in part due to commercial reasons i.e. we won’t sell that many (relatively speaking) so our kit comes out later. ?‍♂️

Brentford and Hull won't sell as many as us and Derby won't sell many more in the scheme of things. Brentford have only just gone to Umbro after being Adidas for a number of years so I'm struggling to understand or accept that they should be ahead of us.

Fair enough we're down the pecking order from the top clubs and yes even the likes of West Ham these days but we're now behind fellow Championship sides.

Probably not something that concerns or interests most people including those employed by Rovers but we keep hearing about low income and revenue yet we are missing out on a lucrative summer sales window by being at the back of the queue, as we are almost every summer.

I like Umbro as a brand but I agree that Rovers don’t exactly have a global reach these days & so the advantages of such a tie in aren’t what they once were. Last season’s Aston Villa deal was an interesting one along on the lines you suggest but even then, they have reverted to going with Kappa now back in the PL. 

I suspect the fear would be in venturing into an industry without the requisite contacts, network & knowledge. Imagine if “Rovers Leisure” was set up & then lost money...we’d all be calling for Waggott’s head (what a name for a pub that would be...) so I fully understand why hardly any clubs do it these days.

Perhaps we could bring Wayne Hemingway on board...he’s done stuff for Rovers before now...

A contract for something like kit and leisure wear would be pretty standard. I do feel there is a hint of laziness about things like this. There will be an evergreen contract and perhaps a couple of meetings a year.

I think what annoys me more than anything is Rovers (and all clubs) know fans are being fleeced and don't appear to give a toss. But for me it kind of backfires on them as the products are definitely cost prohibitive for many.

2 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Back in the Asics days in the 90’s I seem to recall that we wore (or at the very least launched) the new kit last home game of the previous season...I want to say 1993/4...am I imagining it ? ? 

From my memory (1992 onwards) we've never worn a 'new' kit for our final home game.

That's not to say they hadn't been released, or shown, but for the asics kits.

First use of asics strips, in a competitive fixture, away at Crystal Palace

Southampton away was the first use of the Championship winning kit.

Famously Shearer was photographed in the 96/98 strip, the one with the grandfather collar and CIS as sponsors, but only debuted at home vs. Tottenham

By 1998/99 season we had moved to Uhlsport  

3 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Our owners apparently  ventured into kit manufacturer a few years ago, so they must have a network already to sort out Rovers leisure :) and India is still on the cheapish side for production 

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Back in the Asics days in the 90’s I seem to recall that we wore (or at the very least launched) the new kit last home game of the previous season...I want to say 1993/4...am I imagining it ? ? 

I vaguely remember back in the mid 90s the following season's away shirt was shown on the final game of the season. This was in the days though that the home shirt was for 2 seasons but away tops were for one season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

We did this once in 2006, Lonsdale were the makers of the previous and next kit, Tugay got sent off against City at home.

F9575F96-2DE5-4754-A0D3-E59CC2393773.jpeg

• Like 1

Without wanting to really bug anyone, it’s worth pointing out, Hull’s kit has been released about the same time as it was last season.

Ours was announced on 18th July last season and went on sale that day, away kit same deal but 1st August. That said 10Bet were late to the party.

On 15/06/2019 at 12:08, sparky12 said:

One of the marketing guys at Umbro is a Rovers fan, may have something to do. I'll ask the question

How did he allow the abomonation of last seasons home shirt? Needs to grow a pair and sort it out! ?

Edited by benhben

Just now, Kamy100 said:

I am sure that I read somewhere last year that it is Umbro who set the release date of kits as they do all the promotional activity etc and have to co-ordinate this across all the teams that they look after. 

Presumably then there will be a compensation mechanism in the contract that covers loss of merchandise sales during June and July.

Why should other clubs get a 4 week head start on sales over us when produced by the same company just to enable them to stagger their promotional material.

I have to say Rovers seem to have a very relaxed attitude about this particularly for a club and owners so keen to balance their books and boost income. 

'We have to do what Umbro tell us' won't help with FFP calculations or reducing Venky spending.

Taking control of the situation, getting better kit on sale early rather than last minute and changing providers if Umbro won't play ball is the solution if increasing revenue is the aim.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Presumably then there will be a compensation mechanism in the contract that covers loss of merchandise sales during June and July.

Why should other clubs get a 4 week head start on sales over us when produced by the same company just to enable them to stagger their promotional material.

I'm pretty sure the club make nothing from sales. That all goes to Umbro. The money we get is what Umbro give us for being our kit manufacturer. This would be the same for every other kit manufacturer too.

For those wanting Adidas to make our kits, if you want their teamwear kits every season, with the same away kit, but in a different colour, as every other Adidas team that isn't Man Utd, Juventus or Real Madrid, and a home shirt without halves on the back, then they would be the ones to go with.

4 minutes ago, Gumbi said:

I'm pretty sure the club make nothing from sales. That all goes to Umbro. The money we get is what Umbro give us for being our kit manufacturer. This would be the same for every other kit manufacturer too.

You talk with certainty about something you know nothing about. 

They make good margin on kits, upto 70%. Have you not seen the prices? £25 for cheap shit shorts that are on sale in sports direct without a badge for £3, and they make profit on those....wake up

13 minutes ago, Gumbi said:

For those wanting Adidas to make our kits, if you want their teamwear kits every season, with the same away kit, but in a different colour, as every other Adidas team that isn't Man Utd, Juventus or Real Madrid, and a home shirt without halves on the back, then they would be the ones to go with.

Have you not heard things like the shirts sales alone paid for Ronaldo or Beckham in the past? 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Have you not heard things like the shirts sales alone paid for Ronaldo or Beckham in the past? 

But they didn't.

It is often claimed that a club can recoup a marquee player’s transfer fee through shirt sales. However, in reality, this couldn’t be further from the truth.

Kit deals are not traditional sponsorship deals – they are licensing deals, which enable the kit manufacturers to use the club’s brand to sell branded apparel. Clubs will traditionally receive an annual fee – for example, Manchester United receives £75 million per year from Adidas, Chelsea receives an initial £60 million per year from Nike, and Arsenal receives £30 million per year from Puma – and then 10-15% of the revenue the kit manufacturer generates from shirt sales.