BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Kits 19/20  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What should the home kit always be?

• Royal blue and white shirt
    • Lighter blue and white shirt
    • Blue shorts
    • White shorts
    • Blue socks
    • White socks

Given that neither the club or Umbro are mentioning anything about a third kit when people ask about it on Twitter makes me think we are getting something new as opposed to using the yellow kit again. Otherwise they may as well just say now instead of keeping quiet about it.

Also, the new away kit will only be needed against four teams (five if we can get away with it against Sheffield Wednesday due to their black shorts), whereas we would need a third kit for 10 games (nine if we can wear the grey one against Sheffield Wednesday).

3 hours ago, Gumbi said:

Given that neither the club or Umbro are mentioning anything about a third kit when people ask about it on Twitter makes me think we are getting something new as opposed to using the yellow kit again. Otherwise they may as well just say now instead of keeping quiet about it.

Also, the new away kit will only be needed against four teams (five if we can get away with it against Sheffield Wednesday due to their black shorts), whereas we would need a third kit for 10 games (nine if we can wear the grey one against Sheffield Wednesday).

That just makes this new kit choice even more ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2019 at 14:00, Stuart said:

Hope they don’t build it up again.

Although surely it will just be last season's away kit.

They could use the same design as the new grey one and just do it in the traditional yellow and blue or black and red. They might look ok 

Just now, Stuart said:

That’s really interesting @Herbie6590.

Are they originals? The badge certainly wasn’t used on shirts until 1989 but I can’t find any reference to that badge being in use until then.

Coincidentally it was a question asked on Twitter earlier today by New York Rovers chaps...we were speculating about the potential for a change in the badge. I distinctly remembered the badge being around when I started going to Ewood (1969 ish) so I asked Fred Cumpstey who gave me the answer. The Google search confirmed Fred’s answer in that the programme cover changed for the 1967/8 season.

i always thought it odd that the red rose badge appeared on the shirts but everywhere else used the roundel type badge...well at least until it appeared on the shirts.

i also recall being quite excited to see a new kit with the new badge...oh how naive we all were in the 1980’s...no kit launches then...you just waited for the first home game & peeled your eyes ?.

The red & blue stripes suddenly appearing on the shorts for the legendary Feb 1975 game v Plymouth being a case in point...a kit change, mid-season...crazy times. ?

• Like 3

Don't see why anyone would want to change the badge beyond antagonistic reasons. It looks modern enough. Arsenal would be a notable example of changing a badge that didn't look modern enough. Rovers don't have that problem. It looks good in any format including computerised alterations or 3D never mind just on a shirt. I did suggest using "think big" on the badge in the past (and got laughed at because Jack's life motto was obviously so terrible for the club) but it could be incorporated into it while virtually looking the same. 

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Don't see why anyone would want to change the badge beyond antagonistic reasons. It looks modern enough. Arsenal would be a notable example of changing a badge that didn't look modern enough. Rovers don't have that problem. It looks good in any format including computerised alterations or 3D never mind just on a shirt. 

The usual reason is commercial - establishing copyright over the new design & meaning that a load of new merchandise etc can be produced with the new badge e.g. Arsenal changing the direction of the cannon on their badge

Copyright should be easy to monitor in this day and age. Surely there's no issues over ownership anyway? Even if there were does anyone think Venkys would understand? These are clowns who manufactured counterfeit shirts in India without Umbro's permission. I'm surprised they came back!

Edited by Vinjay17

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

That’s really interesting @Herbie6590.

Are they originals? The badge certainly wasn’t used on shirts until 1989 but I can’t find any reference to that badge being in use until then.

In the seventies and eighties they used a different badge on the shirts - a rose head in full bloom with the initials BRFC underneath.  However, at the same time today's badge was used on programmes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

LEAVE OUR BADGE WELL ALONE..FORGET CHANGING IT!!!!!:angry:

As for the new away kit...looked even worse than I thought today at Ibrox.

Shyte.

I was a bit alarmed at the new away kit but thought it actually looked good in Glasgow. With you on the badge though and, as an exiled Lancastrian, I don't like seeing that rose in monochrome. I doubt that would be allowed in Yorkshire :angry:

15 hours ago, Gumbi said:

Not sure where you get ten from, only teams we will potentially not be able to wear that is against the teams in all/mostly white of which there are 5 of them:

Derby

Fulham

Leeds

Preston

Swansea

Other teams have either a lot of blue or red so no issue with a grey kit in my mind, there could be an argument for one or two of those teams above that with our darker blue, blue shorts and socks our full kit would easily stand out against a full white kit or white top and black shorts.  The away kit with green shorts and socks would definitely stand out!

I'm not certain a third kit will be used.

4 hours ago, The Gull said:

Not sure where you get ten from, only teams we will potentially not be able to wear that is against the teams in all/mostly white of which there are 5 of them:

Derby

Fulham

Leeds

Preston

Swansea

Other teams have either a lot of blue or red so no issue with a grey kit in my mind, there could be an argument for one or two of those teams above that with our darker blue, blue shorts and socks our full kit would easily stand out against a full white kit or white top and black shorts.  The away kit with green shorts and socks would definitely stand out!

I'm not certain a third kit will be used.

The others are Reading, QPR, Huddersfield and possibly Sheffield Wednesday and West Brom.