BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Norwich - tempting fate

Checked the match thread and nobody has volunteered for this one so here goes.

I had vowed never to do a Match preview again after chalking up a 100% record of defeats in games I wrote in anticipation of last season so probably as well I saved my literary endeavours for one that doesn't matter. Not even prize money for places are at stake unless someone can correct me.

1965/6 was the first season I followed Rovers in depth and we had a decent Cup run as well as an abysmal relegation. In the 5th round we drew then 2nd Division Norwich away and got  a 2-2 draw before winning the replay at Ewood 3-2 after a fright of being pulled back from an early lead to trailing 1-2 until quite late. Roll forward 15 years and I worked with a pleasant guy at Shell who was a passionate Norwich supporter who told me he had been at the Carrow Road game and had see his first incident of football hooliganism when Rovers supporters pelted a guy dressed as a canary with anything they could get their hands on.

So much for football mascots...

Back to Saturday night and the late late kick off and a chance for somebody to put themselves in the shop window... perhaps...

Leeds are not playing Villa until Sunday and If Sheffield United fail to beat Ipswich at 3pm then Norwich will be playing for both promotion and the title.

Party pooping time! Something we did a few times when in the Prem but not recently.

Of course Norwich will be on a roll in a packed Carrow Road which can get quite noisy as a smallish stadium extended upwards over the years. So not perfect for blooding youngsters but I hope we will see a repeat of u-23s on the bench while saving the nappy job for Swansea.

I see no benefit from not restoring Raya and very much hope travis has recovered to give us an otherwise unchanged outfield line-up from the stroll against Bolton.

We have shown we can give all of the teams at the top a headache (even Sheff U away until the sending off) and Norwich had their work cut out at Ewood until the clock struck 80 and the most vulnerable defence to late goals met the most potent late scorers. Norwich have now drawn 4 consecutively and not been commanding in any of their games recently. Of course if we see Mulgrove, Evans and Smallwood together- we will let in at least 4, again. Not a game for Charlie unless we win a late corner. I would particularly like to see Rodwell in midfield under the pressure Norwich will exert.

We have seen enough from Rovers to know we can get in amongst the Canaries. I don't expect we will get to or past the 60 point mark with a game to spare but I do expect we will make a decent game of it which is the very least the tv audience and the travelling 600 deserve.  

Edited by philipl
  • Like 4

• J*B pinned this topic

Miles away from home. loyal but modest travelling contingent given the tv/distance and ko therefore I see at least 2 of the much maligned 3 coming back in as TM looks to court a bit of favour with his seniors again.

Tough trip whenever it comes around down the years and a bit of a graveyard for rovers. Think we'll get hammered then state a bit of a late rally and get some canary nerves jangling a bit.  Mulgrew will score if he plays and big Ben will pinch another if he gets a chance.

Norwich 3   Rovers 2

Let's hope we are the cockatiels who ruffle the canaries' feathers.

Nothing to fear.  Think Norwich have rode their luck a bit but full marks to them and Farke who have shown what can be achieved with decent organisation, tactics and team spirit.  Interesting how many late goals they've scored in stark comparison to how many late goals we've conceded.

Players who readily come to mind who'very played for both sides including the good, the bad and the ugly!

Chris Sutton, Tim Sherwood, Malcolm Darling, Bryan Conlon,  Martin Olson, Craig Bellamy, Ashley Ward, Elliott Ward / Bennett, Simon Jackson, Jordan Rhodes, Grant Hanley nd Chris Brown!

I'm going for five on the bounce with a 3-1 Rovers' win.  New contract for Mr Lemon Drizzle Cake please!  Yep, hit the red wine early today!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

The battle of two in-form strikers

Pukki v BB.

Feel the flex.

Aww precious.

Thanks for the interesting contribution.

Norwich need to win for obvious reasons, they’ve had a great season and this will be a truly different test to Bolton.

5 wins on the spin would be a great way to go into the final one on a relative high. 

Hope to see more time for Butterworth, Buckley, perhaps stick with Rodwell and Travis if available.

According to LET- Lenihan is ill- id say that would be a big blow to our chances.

2-2 

Norwich City,never the most successful of clubs.Sweet memories of giving them a 7-1 hammering on a wet Saturday afternoon with a Shearer inspired rampant Rovers side...chipped their keeper from 20 yards....Ewood Terraces in raptures.

Sweet memories indeed.

Norwich have played some very good football this Season and deserve their promotion,I just think they will have too much for us on the night.

2-1

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's frustrating with Lenihan, whenever he gets going and we see how important he is to the team, something stops the momentum. Sickness this time. Will we ever see him stay healthy for a full season?

We haven't a hope of winning on Saturday without him.  It will be Mulgrew and Williams. 

Can’t be that bad. He’s all smiles at Ewood tonight.

• Like 1

How many times in recent(ish) years have we had to endure a team securing promotion or the league title  against us? I remember Fulham, Charlton, Man Utd, Man City (I still regret not shoving a few off the top tier) - who else has there been?

Step forward the party poopers! That will be us!  I expect Rovers to get something from this game, but it will not dampen the spirits at Carrow Road as I feel the stars will allign and either they will be promoted by a freak result involving Sheff Utd & Ipswich or they will get a point against us to seal the deal.  Rovers should play the best available selection but I would like to see a few more fresh faces on the bench itching to make their debuts or continue their progression.  My old mucker Harvey Monck is back to talk up all things Norwich.  It appears that I wont be chatting with him for a while.

• Like 2

Is it possible for us to win without Dack, Travis, Lenihan (and to an extent Rothwell) putting in barnstorming performances?

This game will have a large prime time viewership just before the transfer window opens, and those players could really take the game to one of the best sides in the league.

Ideal world - 

3-0 Rovers

Gladwin hat-trick

5 hours ago, @roverseas said:

Step forward the party poopers! That will be us!  I expect Rovers to get something from this game, but it will not dampen the spirits at Carrow Road as I feel the stars will allign and either they will be promoted by a freak result involving Sheff Utd & Ipswich or they will get a point against us to seal the deal.  Rovers should play the best available selection but I would like to see a few more fresh faces on the bench itching to make their debuts or continue their progression.  My old mucker Harvey Monck is back to talk up all things Norwich.  It appears that I wont be chatting with him for a while.

Thanks. That was really good @roverseas

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mercer said:

Players who readily come to mind who'very played for both sides including the good, the bad and the ugly!

Chris Sutton, Tim Sherwood, Malcolm Darling, Bryan Conlon,  Martin Olson, Craig Bellamy, Ashley Ward, Elliott Ward / Bennett, Simon Jackson, Jordan Rhodes, Grant Hanley nd Chris Brown!

How could you possibly forget Vivian Dennis Busby? ?

If we're level or winning the game heading towards 90 minutes then the referee will just do what usually happens at Norwich and add 9 minutes injury time. We need to be aware of this lot as they'll be well into trying to get our lot booked and sent off from the word go.

My enduring memory of the game at Ewood was their manager constantly berating the 4th official and linesman whilst their players rolled around after every challenge and surrounded the referee. Not nice to watch.