BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Norwich - tempting fate

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Despite the respectable scoreline that was an absolute tubbing, six or seven one wouldn"t have flattered them in the slightest. We were so far behind a vibrant Norwich it was embarrasing.

We are so going nowhere under Mowbray. Leutwiler, Bennett, Williams, Conway ,Graham (Did he even touch the ball?) 

The point was merely underlined when at 2-1 down we substituted Dack for Chapman. You can't have two flair playets on the pitch at the same time, oh no.

Will be renewing my ST but not looking forward to next season at all and fear we will be relegation fodder unless there are massive changes, starting in the dug out and continuing down the spine of the team.

Keep it fair. He’s played Rothwell and Dack in the last few games so clearly Mowbray accepts that two playmakers can be on the pitch. Dack was awful today. Mowbray would have been criticised for keeping him on if he hadn’t been replaced.

Also Williams was arguably our best player tonight.

Im not going to lose the plot over tonight. We showed that we’re not at Norwich’s level at the moment but they’re top of the league for a reason. We need to build on what we have. Should be an interesting summer.

• Like 5

Let's not kid ourselves, first half we got a real football lesson. They were quicker, more incisive, more physical, more aggressive on and off the ball than we were. On another night we could have easily gone in 4 or 5-1 down. We gave them the usual Rovers first 20 minutes half hearted performance and they took full advantage of it. Second half they took their foot off the gas and were content to let us have the ball from about 60 minutes onwards. They knew we had no real goal threat.

We were watching modern possession football were there is an end product at the end of the passing moves to our stone age football were we pass it around until we lose possession. The difference in coaching methods stood out like a sore thumb.

Scores -

Leut 6 made some good saves but got caught on his line for the first goal, second one was the fault of whoever let their guy have a free shot at goal, Travis or Rodwell ?

Bennett 5 not a right back in a million years, that " cross " in the second half will live long in my memory !

Lenihan 6 did ok apart from the moment he dreamed he was Franz Beckenbaur and attempted a chest trap on the turn when all he had to do was head the bloody thing.

Williams 7* our best on the night and did his best to keep Pukki quiet.

Bell 6 I've seen him play worse. Not a winger and not a full back, why we signed him is a bit of a mystery. As was what he thought he was doing with that second half clearance.

Armstrong 5 not physical enough for me, if he's up against a lad equally quick he's got no plan B.

Rodwell 5 not the answer to the defensive midfield role, not anything like mobile enough and too easily bypassed.

Travis 6 kept going even when things weren't going his way. Got a nice goal but I thought their keeper should have done better.

Rothwell 6 poor in the first half but improved once he moved into a more central position in the second half.

Dack 4 abysmal, best summed up by that second half free kick. If they'd have put another set of goals on top of the existing goals it would have still missed by a mile. Looked like a pub player tonight.

Graham 4 did he touch the ball ? On his holidays already.

Subs

Brereton 4 ineffectual, compare his work rate with Pukki's.

Conway 4 did nothing of value. 

Chapman 6 did more in 15 minutes out wide than Conway and Rothwell did in the whole game. Should have been on before Conway.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Think tonight also showed how far we are away from being near the top end of this league. Norwich were unstoppable at times going forward today and despite our best efforts after the first 20 minutes it still could have been 4 or 5.. We got as high as we did earlier in the season through team spirit and out working teams, it’s been clear all season we lack that extra quality needed to sustain a top six/promotion push. I hope TM gets backed this summer because if we can add 3 or 4 players that improve the spine of our team and those around that 3 or 4 put their bodies on the line like our lads have done in say 80% of our games this season :lol:? Then I feel we’d be able to compete.. Massive summer ahead.

On 25/04/2019 at 15:29, philipl said:

Checked the match thread and nobody has volunteered for this one so here goes.

I had vowed never to do a Match preview again after chalking up a 100% record of defeats in games I wrote in anticipation of last season so probably as well I saved my literary endeavours for one that doesn't matter. Not even prize money for places are at stake unless someone can correct me.

Congrats on keeping up your 100 per cent record.

Let this one be the last please

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

No idea what you're on about, they were excellent, particularly first half (they took their foot off the gas second half, only needed a draw remember), and didn't look like they need much investment to be safe next season. Every promoted team does of course, but relative to all those previous promoted ones, no, I don't agree they need huge investment.

I’m assuming that is sarcasm. They are the new Huddersfield. Obscure German manager with a group of unknown European players/ germans. Relegated in reality by Christmas. 

Sometimes you get the roll of the dice and everything goes right and this is one of those anomalies. Under no set of circumstances do we need to become the new Norwich other than the self belief and luck aspect.

Sheff United on the other hand are a completely different story.

• Like 3

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Huddersfield stayed up

Sorry my sentence / paragraph construction is poor.

1)They have a similar format to Huddersfield.

2)Relegated by Christmas is my opinion of Norwich not Huddersfield 

3) I dont believe that their format is the one to follow.

4) I think Sheffield Uniteds is better.

• Like 1

Just now, Boroblue said:

Sorry my sentence / paragraph construction is poor.

1)They have a similar format to Huddersfield.

2)Relegated by Christmas is my opinion of Norwich not Huddersfield 

3) I dont believe that their format is the one to follow.

4) I think Sheffield Uniteds is better.

I agree with with 4) 

But I think they will both put up a good fight. 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I agree with with 4) 

But I think they will both put up a good fight. 

To be honest I don’t really care. I hope they both do spectacularly well and that opens up the extra spaces for Burnley to fall through the trapdoor.

At the same time we go up with the Farke/ Sheffield/ Mowbray/ German/ continental/ fluid yet organised system that sets us apart from the others and for once other teams want to be like us.

That would make up for nights like tonight attending other people’s parties 

COYB

• Like 1

We got well beaten, should have been 4-1 on the balance of play and chances, but don't think it really tells us anything we didn't know except for Chapman having a decent cameo. Hope we see more of him.

Travis, Lenihan, Rothwell, Dack are all key for next year. Williams has shown some good improvement. Everyone else we need to look at to see if we can bring in better.

39 minutes ago, DE. said:

Come on now, those first 25 minutes were terrible to watch. We were being ripped apart time after time and had already allowed them 13 shots by the 27th minute. We were very fortunate for the score to be 2-1 and to still have eleven men on the pitch. Norwich play very well but the opening to the game was completely unacceptable. 

After that we did improve, and we looked better once Norwich dropped the intensity in the second half. They still could have scored another couple if they had been more clinical, though, whereas we only had one shot on target the entire match so even when we were playing better we were never going to score again. The end of the game was particularly frustrating as we dawdled around their penalty box with no attacking threat whatsoever. I don't think Norwich felt we were a serious threat which is why they dropped off a bit in the second half and moved to control the game rather than force themselves on us as they did in the first half. Some of our better players had absolute stinkers which didn't help. Dack was terrible. Lenihan was lacking composure. Travis seemed overwhelmed at times. Graham didn't get into the game at all. Armstrong also struggled to really make a mark. 

The difference in class was very clear and I think the scoreline flatters us a bit. We were second best for much of the match and got absolutely mauled in the opening stages which on another day could have put Norwich out of sight before half time. There's a lot to digest from tonight. It's not all bad - another good game from Williams, a few good moves when we got the ball down and an improved second half means it wasn't all doom and gloom. Still a lot to work on though and hopefully Mowbray will study the differences between the likes of us and Norwich.

I don't think we're a million miles away - we're actually in a similar position to where Norwich were last season in many ways.

14 Norwich City 46 15 15 16 49 60 −11

14 Blackburn Rovers 45 16 11 18 62 67 −5 59

The question is whether Mowbray can do what Farke did and transform the club in the summer to be a real force. Norwich have shown it can be done.

Shows what the championship is like. Few would have said Norwich were likely to walk the league this time last year.

But equally you can think you're going to have a decent season and get dragged into a relegation battle.

It's what makes it so compelling. Key is to get decent quality in all positions and build a strong team spirit and rhythm. Issue is all 22 teams will be feeling the same way. It's shown time and again anyone can get up with the right wind in their sails.

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

I’m assuming that is sarcasm. They are the new Huddersfield. Obscure German manager with a group of unknown European players/ germans. Relegated in reality by Christmas. 

Sometimes you get the roll of the dice and everything goes right and this is one of those anomalies. Under no set of circumstances do we need to become the new Norwich other than the self belief and luck aspect.

Sheff United on the other hand are a completely different story.

You do that, I'll assume you and the OP are being sarcastic too and everyone can be happy.

I'm purely going off today, granted. But that was the best I've seen a team look against us (outside of our customary capitulations) along with Sheff U. Norwich were no great shakes at Ewood particularly, so maybe you watch them more. Our manager was impressed with them though and said he thinks they'll be alright. I'm not saying they don't need investment, just no moreso than a promoted team normally needs, on the strength of today.

You forget Huddersfield didn't come straight down.

• Backroom

Norwich's biggest issue is their defence. We had one shot on target today and scored. They've conceded 17 more goals over the course of the season than Sheff Utd and 10 more than Leeds. Right now they're outscoring their opponents most weeks, but they likely won't be able to do that in the PL, so they are definitely going to need to invest in better defenders. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion they will be relegated next season but with the style of football they play it will almost certainly require some significant reinforcements at the back. 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

What a world of difference a half decent manager makes.

We've seen the contrast over the season with both Farke and Mowbray with very different progressions.

IMO, we need to change our manager to make REAL progress.  Full stop.

Let me guess though Merce - we’ll beat Swansea 4-1?

3 hours ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

We were second best all night. I saw Norwich at Ewood and they were no great shakes, yet nicked three points. They have gone up because they have a decent team, manager and owners. We have the makings of a team, an average manager and really shit owners.

In a nutshell that’s us.

Well beaten but fortunately a combination of a couple of good saves, good fortune and missed opportunities kept the scoreline respectable.

But we were outdone from start to finish really. The fact they only needed a point to go up meant they could take their foot off the gas in the last 20-30 minutes.

Ultimately I think we're so far off clubs like Norwich in our entire operation it is scary. 

Of course they have shown that it is possible to go from midtable to Champions in 1 year with some smart recruitment and without throwing the chequebook at it. But one look at the sort of business they've done in recruitment, their style of play and entire operation in general with a clear vision of where they want to go and how to put their limited finances to good use - way beyond anything we have.

We've had a decent season but lets not kid ourselves that we're going to emulate them next season.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Some rubbish performances today, Graham and Dack appalling closely followed by Travis bar his goal and Conway when he came on.

Could have been much worse, great to see Chapman back 

If we had Sutton & Shearer at their prime they would have looked poor too. Those 2 lived of crosses and through balls which we don't do anymore.

You can't do owt with nowt.

We got away with it especially in the first half when Norwich should have gone in at least 4-1 up at HT

Bennett, as predicted he got cleaned out far too many times to remember but will start next season as Club and Team Captain, go figure!

Lot of huff and puff from us, not too much else.

The Ref was good to us. Lenihan a definite red.

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

What a world of difference a half decent manager makes.

We've seen the contrast over the season with both Farke and Mowbray with very different progressions.

IMO, we need to change our manager to make REAL progress.  Full stop.

Farke is on a good run. He will get exposed in the PL with that team who will be relegated next season. Unless they invest very heavily to try to stay up. Same goes for Sheffield United.

I like both SU and Norwich so good luck to them but they are in for a torrid time next season as I believe both will try to build up their Bank balances.

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Barring the obvious personal life inquests - what on earth was going on with Dack tonight? He’s not turned up many a time since November but that was on another level. Overweight, slow, lazy. It was all there. 

Flatters to deceive. I'm getting tired of the fat tart.

Ah fiddlesticks! We could not burst their bubble, but we did give them a bit of a scare.  Despite a Roversesque first 20 minutes we dug deep and caused a few problems for the Premier League new boys.  I for one, hope we can emulate the likes of Sheff United and Norwich next season and surprise the Championship and sneak into the Premier League.  Gaff Mowbray sounds like he is a busy bee... knocking up some air miles too. Bring on a Dackrino or two Guv'nor!  Heat maps, matchs stats and the gaffa talking the talk.