BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Norwich - tempting fate

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17602741.mowbray-frustrated-and-disappointed-by-rovers-first-half/

Travis and Jack Rodwell struggled to get to grips with the Norwich midfield in the first half, and Mowbray added:“Defenders have to defend, I don’t know why the midfielders’ were trying to do the defenders’ jobs"

Because you play 2 DM's you clown and they sit in front of the back 4 on your instruction. 

“I think we are frustrated and disappointed with most of the first half. We didn’t play on the front foot enough,” Mowbray said.

It's like a parallel universe. We rarely play on the 'front foot'. It's just BS. 

• Like 3

We are in terrible trouble if the summer transfer window doesn't go well. Upfront we were powder-puff lightweight, hardly put in a challenge as their defence took the ball away.

Some attractive approach play but moves broke down when we got into the areas that matter. Only one shot on target the whole game!

Stood and watched in some instances. If you're playing a better team surely you at least try to play a pressing game and deny them space and time? 

Wouldn't have happened with Hughes in charge and Todd on the park.

We need 5-6 players ready to go straight into the first team and they should be big, tough bastards with a mean streak.

Very sorry for the 600 who spent all that time and money getting there. 

• Like 3

Very disappointed in Graham last night. Was he carrying a knock? He usually at least let’s their centre halves know they’re in a game. He and Dack may as well have been on the beach such was their input. Graham’s got enough credit in the bank to forget about last night, but Dack’s running out of it for me. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, 47er said:

We are in terrible trouble if the summer transfer window doesn't go well. Upfront we were powder-puff lightweight, hardly put in a challenge as their defence took the ball away.

Some attractive approach play but moves broke down when we got into the areas that matter. Only one shot on target the whole game!

Stood and watched in some instances. If you're playing a better team surely you at least try to play a pressing game and deny them space and time? 

Wouldn't have happened with Hughes in charge and Todd on the park.

We need 5-6 players ready to go straight into the first team and they should be big, tough bastards with a mean streak.

Very sorry for the 600 who spent all that time and money getting there. 

We lost too many 50/50 balls and too many second balls. That little Spaniard they have burst through 3 of our " tacklers  " in the second half out on the right when somebody should have filled him in. We've been a soft touch to play against for too long. Every one of their players knew how to leave a bit in on every tackle. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

A terrible performance in which 2-1 flattered us. I'd  have hoped that we would be looking ahead to next season now yet we put Bennett back in at full back, it's bad enough that he's on the pitch but even worse when at full back. We have Conway coming on who surely won't be here next season. Rodwell didn't show much in the midfield role to earn a new contract he's not mobile enough, hope to see Davenport given ago next week. The only player to come out of the game with any credit was Leutwiler because without him it could have been 5 or 6.

After the first goal, when he fell over like a tall tree falling, he did fine. There was one cross I think he punched well clear, unless I missed someone heading it.

He is not the GK answer though.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We lost too many 50/50 balls and too many second balls. That little Spaniard they have burst through 3 of our " tacklers  " in the second half out on the right when somebody should have filled him in. We've been a soft touch to play against for too long. Every one of their players knew how to leave a bit in on every tackle. 

Glad someone else thought that. Usually and cleverly not quite enough to produce a card.

26 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17602741.mowbray-frustrated-and-disappointed-by-rovers-first-half/

Travis and Jack Rodwell struggled to get to grips with the Norwich midfield in the first half, and Mowbray added:“Defenders have to defend, I don’t know why the midfielders’ were trying to do the defenders’ jobs"

Because you play 2 DM's you clown and they sit in front of the back 4 on your instruction. 

“I think we are frustrated and disappointed with most of the first half. We didn’t play on the front foot enough,” Mowbray said.

It's like a parallel universe. We rarely play on the 'front foot'. It's just BS. 

Any mention of Captain Bennett being ripped to shreds, thought not.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Any mention of Captain Bennett being ripped to shreds, thought not.

I'd drop him until he learns how to cross a ball ! I was biting the carpet after that one he ballsed up in the second half. I still have nightmares about that chance he missed at Oldham last season. Dribbled around everybody including the goalkeeper and then shot into the side netting ! My mum could have put that one away !

I'd drop him until he learns how to cross a ball ! I was biting the carpet after that one he ballsed up in the second half. I still have nightmares about that chance he missed at Oldham last season. Dribbled around everybody including the goalkeeper and then shot into the side netting ! My mum could have put that one away !

I still cry tears of laughter when I recall that interview about a month ago where TM said he was itching to get him further up the pitch due to his fantastic crossing ability!

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Come on mate, we play on 'front foot' every game. Tony says so*

*3 goals all season from open play in the first half of games at Ewood.  

He can say it all he likes but it's blatantly not true (yes I got your sarcasm). I honestly think that's the biggest problem we have - even more so than our square pegs round holes and defence. At best we give ourselves 70 minutes to get results and it's cost us a lot of points - yesterday being just 1 example. 

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

His love in of Bennett is infuriating. Doesn’t help when people dish out player of the year titles either - TM will feel very vindicated.

With Charlie sadly past it I can see Bennett being formally appointed Club & Team Captain so guaranteeing him a starting place next season.

I have seen some suggestions that he could be moved on in the Summer, not a chance, imo.

That cross by Bennett woke my Thai wife up and I had to explain to her some of the words I had shouted at the computer screen.

She still can't understand thank God.

32 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Think Mowbray is clearly deluded and his bullsh1t is an affront to the supporters.

IMO, an old school manager who even at his best was no better than average.  Think we rescued him from the scrapheap.  He's been well rewarded  but is now in decline and it's time to say bye bye.

I think we are miles away from being an organised, effective and cohesive team with a clear identity and footballing philosophy.

A developing team does not take the number of  hammerings, or horror shows, we've had this season.  At times, scorelines have flattered us, as yesterday when we could have lost by at least three more goals without complaint.

IMO, would be a huge mistake to give Mowbray another transfer window and season.

• Like 3

Just now, Mercer said:

Think Mowbray is clearly deluded and his bullsh1t is an affront to the supporters.

IMO, an old school manager who even at his best was no better than average.  Think we rescued him from the scrapheap.  He's been well rewarded  but is now in decline and it's time to say bye bye.

I think we are miles away from being an organised, effective and cohesive team with a clear identity and footballing philosophy.

A developing team does not take the number of  hammerings, or horror shows, we've had this season.  At times, scorelines have flattered us, as yesterday when we could have lost by at least three more goals without complaint.

IMO, would be a huge mistake to give Mowbray another transfer window and season.

I do think it's going to be Bowyer all over again.

We'll spend the summer talking about the pool of talent we have. Just swap Hanley, Cairney, King, and Rudy with Lenihan, Travis, Rothwell, Dack etc.

"If only our manager would be more ambitious, drop the excuses, and stop picking his pets, we'll stand a chance of promotion next year!"

Just now, Mercer said:

If we could trust the idiots to appoint a sensible replacement I'd be right there with you on this. Trouble is we can't. We got shown up last night by a team playing 2019 style football. We're still playing last century football.

Just now, markread said:

Got back from Norwich at 4 am this morning proud to be a Rover.

It's plain now the direction that TM is wanting to take the team. Younger players, fleet of foot and capable of controlling the ball in tight spaces. A work in progress. Phasing out those better suited to another style of play.

Proud of how the team played once we learned to close down the spaces and moved the ball to the other end much more quickly than we have been used to doing over the last couple of seasons since his appointment.

Norwich's Finnish striker was annointed player of the year. They showed a video of all his goals on the big screen. Almost all of them were in the six yard box barring a couple of worldies. That's how they have got to where they have. Close control in the box by players who can move and create space. Two wing backs hugging the touchline so much that there was no room for error with their first touch. I have a feeling this is how TM is working longer term - though not too much longer now.

Special mention for Derrick Williams above many very good performers. He was like a new signing at CB. Proof you don't need to make the tackle, just close down the space and options for the opposition. This tactic was why they didn't score more than two. Not because they took the foot off the gas, but because we played well as a team. We earned our luck.

Proud also to be one of the travelling hordes. 700 is a fantastic effort at that time of day on a Saturday, that distance and at £35 a ticket. Big credit to the club for recognising that and providing free coach travel.

And lastly, The atmosphere at Carrow Road was unreal. After we scored, the crowd were virtually silent. That's not an exaggeration. 'Is this a library?' sang the Rovers fans. They could have been right. The sight of their player Aarons gesturing to their fans, in the supposed singing end, with twenty minutes to go before being promoted to the Premier League, to get behind the team was bizarre. Imagine Rovers within twenty minutes to go last game next season and Danny Graham walking towards the crowd telling them to get behind the team. Unbelievable. And made me realise that, for all our differences over the last few years, especially in comparison to some clubs, some things haven't been lost.

They must have been celebrating at some point. Though rumours that Sainsbury's had run out of fruit teas in Norwich were apparently wide of the mark. ?

I like Nyambe, not so keen on Bell. However if you're looking to play with effective wing backs who can both attack and defend those two won't cut it.

I agree Williams did well last night but that free header he missed from a corner !  What an amateurish attempt, I think he closed his eyes.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, markread said:

Got back from Norwich at 4 am this morning proud to be a Rover.

It's plain now the direction that TM is wanting to take the team. Younger players, fleet of foot and capable of controlling the ball in tight spaces. A work in progress. Phasing out those better suited to another style of play.

Proud of how the team played once we learned to close down the spaces and moved the ball to the other end much more quickly than we have been used to doing over the last couple of seasons since his appointment.

Norwich's Finnish striker was annointed player of the year. They showed a video of all his goals on the big screen. Almost all of them were in the six yard box barring a couple of worldies. That's how they have got to where they have. Close control in the box by players who can move and create space. Two wing backs hugging the touchline so much that there was no room for error with their first touch. I have a feeling this is how TM is working longer term - though not too much longer now.

Special mention for Derrick Williams above many very good performers. He was like a new signing at CB. Proof you don't need to make the tackle, just close down the space and options for the opposition. This tactic was why they didn't score more than two. Not because they took the foot off the gas, but because we played well as a team. We earned our luck.

Proud also to be one of the travelling hordes. 700 is a fantastic effort at that time of day on a Saturday, that distance and at £35 a ticket. Big credit to the club for recognising that and providing free coach travel.

And lastly, The atmosphere at Carrow Road was unreal. After we scored, the crowd were virtually silent. That's not an exaggeration. 'Is this a library?' sang the Rovers fans. They could have been right. The sight of their player Aarons gesturing to their fans, in the supposed singing end, with twenty minutes to go before being promoted to the Premier League, to get behind the team was bizarre. Imagine Rovers within twenty minutes to go last game next season and Danny Graham walking towards the crowd telling them to get behind the team. Unbelievable. And made me realise that, for all our differences over the last few years, especially in comparison to some clubs, some things haven't been lost.

They must have been celebrating at some point. Though rumours that Sainsbury's had run out of fruit teas in Norwich were apparently wide of the mark. ?

Wonderful post.

Rovers support came over loud and clear on the TV.

So much so that on two occasions the commentator talked about Norwich support getting ready to celebrate promotion to a distinctly Lancastrian chorus of up the football league...

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Carrot crunchers

If things hadn't been going well we could've been treated to a bit of the old 'Let's be avin ya' from a well refreshed Delia.

I’d sooner have a Delia than a Desai.

At least she cares about her club.

• Like 8