BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Norwich - tempting fate

Just now, arbitro said:

The referee has to factor all the information available to him at the time before making his decision but he has to be sure that the covering defender would have got around to make the challenge. He clearly did think Williams would. I didn't.

As I said it's down to opinion.

I thought he would he been able to put a tackle in from the position he had got into.

Would that have been a clean tackle? As a Rovers fan I’d have to argue yes. It would have been a travesty if Lenihan was sent off there, with Williams getting back. Derrick saved him there.

32 minutes ago, Bootlaces said:

If what ive heard from a friend is true, Mowbray left Norwich this morning on a flight to Berlin. Just looked at the fixtures in the area the only one that jumps out is union Berlin in the 2nd tier plqyimg Hamburger SV. They have a good Keeper but unsure who else hed be looking at, they also have Seb Polter that used to play for QPR. Could be intereating as playera from the German leagues generally do well here.

Any games just over the border in Poland that he could be taking in?

1 hour ago, Bootlaces said:

You and i both know Williams wasnt going to catch him or even get close.

Williams v Pukki in a foot race, only one winner there. Williams has been playing well at centre half but he was let down by his partner. Everybody but Pukki was expecting Lenihan to head it straight back down the pitch. He gambled on a cock up by the centre half and he was right. William would have had to attempt a tackle from behind in a situation were Pukki has all the cards.

Lenihan commits one huge howler every game. That was last nights. Let's hope Sheff Utd were watching. The ref gave us that one but not much else after that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, DE. said:

We finished in the top half twice under Bowyer, but that's all, and it was with a squad containing the likes of Paul Robinson, Grant Hanley, Shane Duffy, Tom Cairney, Craig Conway (when he was good), Jordan Rhodes (when he was good), Rudy Gestede and Josh King, so it was still a major underachievement. I don't think we have exceeded expectations in any season under Venky's. We met expectation last year by getting promoted out of League 1, and that's the best we've had. 

Sorry. My bad...Forgot about 2015!

But  I do think it is significant that in four out of six Championship seasons we finished 17th,  15th, 22nd ..and we are currently 14th with one game to go.

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The referee has to factor all the information available to him at the time before making his decision but he has to be sure that the covering defender would have got around to make the challenge. He clearly did think Williams would. I didn't.

At the time I thought we got lucky - but the more I thought about it - I think the referee made the right decision. Though I wouldn't put much money on a foot race between Williams and Pukki - having to control the ball tends to slow down the player with the ball - so I think there was a fair chance that Williams would have had a reasonable chance of a sliding challenge or putting him off enough so he didn't score - either way not a clear goal scoring opportunity. 

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

At the time I thought we got lucky - but the more I thought about it - I think the referee made the right decision. Though I wouldn't put much money on a foot race between Williams and Pukki - having to control the ball tends to slow down the player with the ball - so I think there was a fair chance that Williams would have had a reasonable chance of a sliding challenge or putting him off enough so he didn't score - either way not a clear goal scoring opportunity. 

it was one of those incidents. Some refs see that as a red card, some see it as a yellow. It's a judgement call.

4 hours ago, 47er said:

We are in terrible trouble if the summer transfer window doesn't go well. Upfront we were powder-puff lightweight, hardly put in a challenge as their defence took the ball away.

Some attractive approach play but moves broke down when we got into the areas that matter. Only one shot on target the whole game!

Stood and watched in some instances. If you're playing a better team surely you at least try to play a pressing game and deny them space and time? 

Wouldn't have happened with Hughes in charge and Todd on the park.

We need 5-6 players ready to go straight into the first team and they should be big, tough bastards with a mean streak.

Very sorry for the 600 who spent all that time and money getting there. 

I think we all need to remember that Norwich were going for the title in front of a sell out crowd - whereas our motivation was ?

To our credit - I thought that Norwich played some brilliant football in the first 20 minutes - finding players with unbelievable accuracy - with each player giving 100% - and yet they only scored from two long range efforts. One that the keeper really should have saved - the other an unbelievable strike (irrespective of us backing off him). I think most teams would have been blown away - and possibly conceded more than 2 in that period.

We continue to see a subtle change in style - with far more passing out from the back. Against Norwich we got caught out a number of times - but you could see the intent. It was also interesting how much better we looked with Brereton up front in the second half - not saying he was brilliant, but his mobility was in stark contrast to what had gone before.

I am actually finishing the season far more optimistic than I thought I would - with Rothwell and Brereton finally coming to the party. Some way to go - but a decent centre half and left back would go a long way. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Surely it’s the other way round? He would have to be sure that the defender wouldn’t get round in order to produce the red card. If there’s any doubt - and your debate with Stuart shows that there is - then surely he can’t send him off. 

For what it’s worth, I don’t think that Williams would have got back, but I do think that his position puts enough doubt into the refs mind to stop the red card

Just now, DaveyB said:

Surely it’s the other way round? He would have to be sure that the defender wouldn’t get round in order to produce the red card. If there’s any doubt - and your debate with Stuart shows that there is - then surely he can’t send him off. 

For what it’s worth, I don’t think that Williams would have got back, but I do think that his position puts enough doubt into the refs mind to stop the red card

That's exactly why I have stressed it's down to opinion. Clearly the referee thought Williams could have made up the ground to cover Lenihan. From my vantage point I didn't think he would. 

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think we need to roll the dice.  Changing a manager is a risk for any club, even Manchester United as they've found to their cost.

I will not buy any season tickets for the family whilst this, IMO, dinosaur of a manager remains at our club.

In the main, I think our football is dreadful and I am sick and tired of what I think is b 0 l l0cks and bullsh1t from Mowbray.  I think his comments and excuses are now right up there with what we used to hear from Kean and C o y l e.

You may as well just cut and paste your posts Merc, or do you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

think we all need to remember that Norwich were going for the title in front of a sell out crowd - whereas our motivation was ?

The 700 die hards that spent a fortune and committed time and money to support them and returned at 4am for a dead rubber ?

• Like 6

I think re the red card that some are looking at the situation and thinking Williams won’t get back for that, knowing something of his pace. Presumably the referee can’t make a judgement based on an individual player’s pace, as a lot of the time he won’t know. He just has to look at the relative positions and assume they have similar pace.

I’ve seen all Championship teams live this season except Middlesbrough and Swansea (yet). I missed the home game with Sheffield United when by all accounts they played us off the park but I did go to Bramall Lane. Whilst they were very efficient in exploiting our vulnerability that day by no means were they dominant.

Norwich are the best team I’ve seen live, but an awful lot depends on how a team plays on any given day. Look at Derby - awful at Ewood yet still favourite for a play-off place (although probably not to win it).

The main reason the Championship is more interesting than the Premier League is that no team has been able to be consistent enough to dominate the league - pretty much any team can beat any other on any given day (well maybe not Ipswich). 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, philipl said:

Putting things even more in perspective.

Norwich in the summer received £37.5m in transfer fees (Maddison to Leicester for £25m, Murphy to Cardiff £11.5m).

Spending was £5.75m of which our very own Ben Marshall was most expensive for £1.75m and Leitner and Buendia were £1.5m each. Pukki and Krul were freebies. Aarons has come through the youth set up.

Some regular Championship names are returning to Carrow Road after loans out- Marshall, Oliveira, Naismith, Husband... 

"Free" transfers ar rarely cheap these days. Both Pukki and Krul have pedigree from bigger leagues than the Championship and are in their prime age-wise, agent fees and sign on fees will likely have made them much more expensive than £1.75 m.

• Like 3

• J*B unpinned this topic