BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Archibald Leitch - the man who built Ewood Park

2 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I was under the impression only the Nuttall St stand was a Leitch design. Must dig out my Inglis first edition.

I think the Nuttall St Stand was a unique Leitch construction due to the 'crank' as it approached the Blackburn End. I wasn't aware that the Riverside was a Leitch stand but whilst, there were similarities with Goodison, Villa Park, Ibrox  and Fratton Park, it was still one of a kind. It became a bit of an eyesore in the 80's and looked like it was held together with corrugated iron around the back but it was my favourite part of the ground.

It's a shame that some of Leitch's grand old grounds have bitten the dust.

48 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I was under the impression only the Nuttall St stand was a Leitch design. Must dig out my Inglis first edition.

Riverside was another Leitch design, great pitch view sitting at the right hand side, as you sit. Just one support blocked the view towards Darwen but a head movement sorted that.

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He  was also responsible for the old Riverside stand..just after it was built Ewood was reported as having a capacity of over 70,000!

If you look closely at the above photo they are building the BBE Roof..early 60's

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's a great photo. Normally the aerial views are at 90 degrees to that one, looking across the pitch.

My Uncle who lived in Kirby Rd had a small scrap business, he called it the "pen", on land above the river at the high end of Kirby Rd.

When visiting in the 60s I spent a lot of time helping him out, but more time he said looking at Ewood Park. The area is quite clear on the photo just behind the upper chimney. That was a steep slope down to the river, I never tried it out but kind of wish I had.

Happy Days!

Edited by AllRoverAsia

36 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

My Uncle who lived in Kirby Rd had a small scrap business, he called it the "pen", on land above the river at the high end of Kirby Rd.

When visiting in the 60s I spent a lot of time helping him out, but more time he said looking at Ewood Park. The area is quite clear on the photo just behind the upper chimney. That was a steep slope down to the river, I never tried it out but kind of wish I had.

Happy Days!

Think that area has all been landscaped into a playground and parking area for the houses.

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Think that area has all been landscaped into a playground and parking area for the houses.

Yes, I've been back up there a few years ago and all changed. Uncle & Aunt's house still there as is all of that little area below the railway lines. Their house backed onto the lines, outside loo the nearest - just remembered how cold that was if I was visiting at Christmas.

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

That London greyhound track looks identical to one at the former Greenbank site (where Tesco now is).

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/15664741.nostalgia-when-blackburn-went-to-the-dogs-at-the-greyhound-track-in-green-bank/

First time I looked at that link everything loaded, and there's a hell of a lot of photos on the LT pages, apart from the actual greyhound track!

Anyway a quick Google got it sorted and some interesting detail.

I do like stuff like this :rover:

28 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

If I could turn back time for just one day, it would be a game day spent on Ewood as in this photo. One where we’ve given the Dingles a right good hiding.

Count me in. Depressing how the mighty Riverside terrace now looks like a glorified bus stop.

• Like 3

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Well of course Archie Leach (Cleese - Fish called Wanda), Cary Grants proper name, and, well......

Excellent question,,,,,,,,it's been many years since I viewed Wanda......and Jamie Lee Curtis looked very well, I seem to have always known Cary Grant's real name, must be my age, but Inglis's book of grounds is immense!!

• Like 1

On 26/04/2019 at 13:03, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

He  was also responsible for the old Riverside stand..just after it was built Ewood was reported as having a capacity of over 70,000!

If you look closely at the above photo they are building the BBE Roof..early 60's

This one shows a bit more detail of the BBE roof going on, I truly loved those days, tears welling.

BBE build ewood8.jpg

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

I bet the people who lived in that row of terraced houses were thrilled.

Lovely photo, I always got to the ground really early ( 2.00 pm ) and stood by the railings on the Riverside. I'd usually move to the end Rovers were attacking once I knew which way we were playing. Sometimes I'd stay put if the opposition were local and there was a big gate.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces