BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs. Swansea - Sunday 5th May, 12:30pm

To be fair Travis had a good second half I thought, at Right Back he was  doing okay.

Davenport was very tidy, great passer and grew as the game went on. Looks like a better Corry Evans.

Make no mistake about it, Joe Rothwell is our most important player going into next season. 

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Gogger said:

Lost this when Tony had to follow his gameplan and play Davenport. Travis is trash at right back, but head and shoulders above both Davenport and Evans in midfield.  Where is Nyambe? 

Armstrong a passenger which he has been all season bar a few games.

Good point.

Although Travis did play right back at development level, he looked extremely unhappy to be back there but more importantly we lost our drive in midfield. It was no surprise that we looked a lot better when he was moved back to the centre towards the end of the second half. Davenport was much better paired with Travis than Evans.

Missed today's game due to working overnight. Hope those that went to the game enjoyed it, personally Im glad to see the back of this season  I've rarely enjoyed a campaign less. The momentum derived from winning promotion last season got us off to a good start after that it was truly turgid stuff.

Mowbray definitely isn't the man to take us forward imo and I doubt he will be replaced so on that basis I'm not optimistic at all going forward.

Massive summer ahead, huge clear out of the old guard needed and major reconstruction of the side needed with quality additions. We can't afford to tinker about on the edges of the squad like we did last summer.

• Like 3

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

To be fair Travis had a good second half I thought, at Right Back.

Davenport was very tidy, great passer and grew as the game went on. Looks like a better Corry Evans.

Make no mistake about it, Joe Rothwell is our most important player going into next season. 

What about our top scorer who also has 7 assists this season? Surely hes the most important player! As good as Rothwell is. The two work very well together,

Just now, roversfan99 said:

What about our top scorer who also has 7 assists this season? Surely hes the most important player! As good as Rothwell is. The two work very well together,

Rothwell is the most talented footballer we have had in years. Not slagging off Dack at all, who’s goals and assists gave been incredible.

I have watched 44/46 games this season, and Rothwell is the best player at the club for me.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

A tale of two Mowbray's. 

First half the usual Mowbray bore-fest - sitting back and letting the opposition dictate and making us look clueless.

Second half - we got after them, Davenport and Evans rattled a few and Rothwell kept running at them. It was actually proper football. Swansea were on the back foot instead of taking the piss like they had the 1st half. The 2nd half is what we want to see, not the cowards football of the 1st half. Attack, attack, attack......

We will never go up playing at home the way we did first half. What's that now, 4 goals from open play in the 1st half all season? Dreadful stat and very Mowbray. His teams go out to contain. 2nd half his team had to go out to attack because we were behind. Notice the difference? Lets hope the penny finally drops with Mowbray or I'll be delighted to see him go. I can't bear to watch another season of the those 1st halves. It's fucking awful. Cowards football.

More of the 2nd half please. We've got a load of talented young players who need to be allowed to play. 

• Like 8

I thought the game today summed up our season. We started strongly, tailed off and finished well. My main disappointment about not winning is that Nobbers finish above us. Our main problem of conceding cheap goals was once again apparent as two poor crosses ended up in our net. I know Lenihan slipped for the second but that aside there wasn't a Rovers player within three yards of him. Davenport was good and reminded me of Reed with his stature and work rate.

This summer is Mowbray's most important period in charge for me. The signings have to be right and in the correct areas. If not then we could be in for a long season, if he does then we can kick on.

Over to you Mogga.

• Like 2

That run in the 2nd half summed Rothwell up... he picks it up on the edge of his own box, leaves 2 or 3 for dead (including McBurnie who tried to scythe him down but wasn't quick enough) runs the full length of the pitch and then instead of playing in Dack with a simple ball he overhits it nearly out of play. He does the hard part then gets the weight of the pass wrong. He did it a few times. 

Amazing talent with the ball at his feet but needs to improve his passing. He'd be too good for us if he gets the passing bit right. 

Edited by blueboy3333

I said I expected us to finish 14th this season, we finished 15th so you would expect me to be content but I can’t say I am. To be honest I was slightly shocked at the standard of the champ, seemed to have decreased a lot from what I remembered even though it was just a season away. Only teams that have outclassed us easily both games have been sheff Utd and Norwich, both of which deserved to go up. Leeds? Your having a laugh, we should’ve took 6 off them, see you again next season. Villa to go up in the playoffs. 

Mowbray has been defensive, out his depth, head scratching signings and starting line ups/ tactics. Huge question marks over him in my opinion and I would’ve sacked him by now during the time we were stinking out the division. Thing I find with mowbray is that he says the right things but doesn’t do as promised which makes it hard to tell if he knows what’s needed but can’t get it or is just playing us all for fools. Let’s hope he gets the summer right and we can all look forward to start of next season which at the moment I’m not particularly 

Enjoyable game. Davenport looked good in the middle and rothwell continued to excite. Should of been mom imo. Thought Travis did well second half and that's about it really. Decent afternoon and a decent performance. Roll on next season. 

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Rothwell is the most talented footballer we have had in years. Not slagging off Dack at all, who’s goals and assists gave been incredible.

I have watched 44/46 games this season, and Rothwell is the best player at the club for me.

Not Bell then?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Agreed, Difference between Dack n Rothwell is that Dack has a very good football brain. Rothwell although outstanding on the ball perhaps overthinks & panicks.

23 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Here here..different class to Dack

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I dont think theres much in it in terms of flair and natural ability, they are both entertainers, but I agree with points made by @blueboy3333 and @BankEnd Rover and ultimately the difference is in the end product. Both are key but Dacks our best player 

Weve looked so much better with 2 wingers picked mainly for what they can do going forward.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

We will never go up playing at home the way we did first half. What's that now, 4 goals from open play in the 1st half all season? Dreadful stat and very Mowbray. His teams go out to contain. 2nd half his team had to go out to attack because we were behind. Notice the difference? Lets hope the penny finally drops with Mowbray or I'll be delighted to see him go. I can't bear to watch another season of the those 1st halves. It's fucking awful. Cowards football.

Yep, seemingly identical in mindset to Gary Bowyer. I always commented that we didn't turn up at Ewood until 4p.m. when he was manager.

I really don't understand all this "stay in the game until half time" rollocks. Surely it's twice as difficult to win the game over 45 mins than 90?

• Like 2

Called a 2-2 draw after 3 minutes. (I apologise for not calling a 3-2 win!)

+ Davenport looked like a useful player, a younger version of Evans. I wouldn't want them playing together as they seemed to want to do the same job. Not going crazy but he is ahead of Buckley and another who is definitely better than Smallwood.

- Luetwiler is ?

+ Williams has shown after a year of doubt that he can be the #3 or #4 and a back up LB. 

Thanks to Conway, ironic that for probably our best crosser of the past 6 years, his last touch for BRFC was a Bennett-esqe cross to the stands ?. 200 and out. 

We have some serious pieces of a decent top 10 and beyond championship team. Over to you now, Mr Manager.

Playoffs should be fun.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11712261/blackburn-rovers-2-2-swansea

Highlights. Dreadful defending from Williams and Lenihan for the goals. 

Yep. Williams may have had a decent game in general but he always has a ‘switch off’ moment in his locker. 

• Backroom
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. Williams may have had a decent game in general but he always has a ‘switch off’ moment in his locker. 

He's had a decent enough end to the season at CB, but must not be considered first choice going into next season. We need a much better player to partner Lenihan long-term. Del is an acceptable back up but that is all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

A tale of two Mowbray's. 

First half the usual Mowbray bore-fest - sitting back and letting the opposition dictate and making us look clueless.

Second half - we got after them, Davenport and Evans rattled a few and Rothwell kept running at them. It was actually proper football. Swansea were on the back foot instead of taking the piss like they had the 1st half. The 2nd half is what we want to see, not the cowards football of the 1st half. Attack, attack, attack......

More of the 2nd half please. We've got a load of talented young players who need to be allowed to play. 

He mostly did the same last season but in the end we got promoted, done the same mostly this season and we've hit the comfortable targeted points total, he'll do the same next season and.......

We'll do ok with a half decent squad with this approach which over the course of the season seems to be a 50/50 mix of dull pragmatic sit off and go long/diagonal hoof and sit off and tray to play from the back a bit quicker and counter.  I don't think any team has gone up playing that way though you need to master one or the other or have a large talented group that can cope with it and be stronger than the rest over the season - bit like last.

That's my main area of concern going forwards with TM, maybe not next season as I think he can improve us again but I don't think it's going to be spectacular for a number of reasons. But in the long run even with some good players and good investment he needs to stamp a style and authority on it and keep it settled instead of trying to be a jack of all trades and expect limited players to cope.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Williams has shown after a year of doubt that he can be the #3 or #4 and a back up LB. 

You've watched this season and concluded Del can cover at Left Back?  Seriously?  He's technically the worst player we've had for a long long time and has been at fault for umpteen goals this season and contributed nothing the other way......you must be his mum

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

You've watched this season and concluded Del can cover at Left Back?  Seriously?  He's technically the worst player we've had for a long long time and has been at fault for umpteen goals this season and contributed nothing the other way......you must be his mum

A 4th choice CB that can also be 3rd choice LB, already under a reasonable contract and gets on well with the squad. 

I don't disagree with his left back ability being poor, extremely poor, hence why he would be back up. But you ain't getting 3 XI quality players for each position. 

• Like 1

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

A 4th choice CB that can also be 3rd choice LB, already under a reasonable contract and gets on well with the squad. 

I don't disagree with his left back ability being poor, extremely poor, hence why he would be back up. But you ain't getting 3 XI quality players for each position. 

I can find better in the north west counties, get shut and bring in a replacement who is going to help us go higher....