BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs. Swansea - Sunday 5th May, 12:30pm

I have a soft spot for Swansea, notwithstanding Kendall’s team’s meek surrender there. Lived there for six months carrying the Cadbury’s sales bag, going back a few years later to propose to my wife on Mumbles seafront. Barry Hole was one of my customers, he and his brothers ran a very tidy chain of CTN’s (Confectioner, Tobacconist, Newsagent), as were Catherine Zeta Jones’ parents, who had a similar shop in Mumbles. Used to drive past Vetch Field every day.

Other than Barry Hole, I’m struggling to think of any notable players who played for both clubs.

2 (McKenzie, Crawford) - 1 (Toshack)

• Like 1

Last time Swansea faced a decent team away was QPR, a team we dispatched 2-1. Swansea lost 4-0 to QPR, and whilst in decent form, their wins have come against the likes of Ipswich and Rotherham. We very rarely lose our final game of the season, and I'm hoping that with both teams having nothing to play for, we get to see some proper on the floor football.

Just now, K-Hod said:

There’s just no need for the increase in price, at all. Just why?

To put an incentive to early purchasing, allowing Rovers to know roughly how many people are turning up. Imagine if on the day 6000 people turn up to buy tickets @ £15.00 only to find out the club either doesn't have enough people on the sales desk to cope, enough stewards, pies, beer, water etc etc.

Discounts for early purchasing happen in everything from trains, planes, festival tickets, nights out - you name it there's "early bird" specials or tier price increases. Can't blame them for that really. 

What you can blame them for is the fact that they have waited until now to give any form of discounted tickets. Can't see many rushing to get these - dead rubber vs Swansea...................exciting!! 

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

To put an incentive to early purchasing, allowing Rovers to know roughly how many people are turning up. Imagine if on the day 6000 people turn up to buy tickets @ £15.00 only to find out the club either doesn't have enough people on the sales desk to cope, enough stewards, pies, beer, water etc etc.

Discounts for early purchasing happen in everything from trains, planes, festival tickets, nights out - you name it there's "early bird" specials or tier price increases. Can't blame them for that really. 

What you can blame them for is the fact that they have waited until now to give any form of discounted tickets. Can't see many rushing to get these - dead rubber vs Swansea...................exciting!! 

I can see what motivates the club to do it. Unfortunately going watching Rovers in the 2nd division on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon is very different to buying train tickets/flights or festival tickets where you have to buy in advance to ensure you can go and where there is high demand and limited supply.

At Rovers where we've 20,000 empty seats most weeks we aren't ever going to have more demand than supply. Many people will simply go and do something else with their spare time if it is too much or too difficult to get in. Its only a football match, they'll take it or leave it, decide in the spur of the moment. Maybe if the weather is nice, or if other plans fall through, or if the kids/girlfriend/mates change plans. It's just something to fill a few hours.

Actively trying to deter people from making a late decision to go, by bumping prices up even more, I think is self-defeating. Ultimately Rovers aren't in a position to try and discourage on the day buyers, they should be gratefully welcoming anyone who is willing to pay to watch us and do whatever is needed to get as many in the ground as possible.

We survived perfectly well with pay on the day with no surcharge for years and years. This surcharge nonsense has only appeared in the last few years. All done to make life easier for the small group of people who are paid well to run the operation on matchday and not done to get as many people into the ground as possible.

They aren't even that heavily discounted. £15 is reasonable and decent value these days for the Championship but it isn't exactly cheap for a dead rubber that is live on TV for many people.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

If I was TM , I would be telling the forwards when in the box to miss kick and fall on their arses every time , guaranteed penalty . Just hope his girlfriend has not got a job with Swansea ;)

Edited by perthblue02

6 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If we are to believe that then we have to believe that having the Waggott tax is putting 6,000 people off attending - because they certainly aren’t being swayed to buy early and attend.

We really need a better solution. Technology should allow people to buy online and get an emailed QRA code or something without needing to be so meticulous in planning.

Somehow thousands of people make it on to Manchester Airport car park every day without the need for an army of ticket marshalls.

Besides if the surcharge wasn’t a disincentive then those 6000 people would turn up anyway and cause the same havoc. If it is then the club is deliberately putting people off.

Whichever way, it is madness when we have so many empty seats. 

6 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If we are to believe that then we have to believe that having the Waggott tax is putting 6,000 people off attending - because they certainly aren’t being swayed to buy early and attend.

We really need a better solution. Technology should allow people to buy online and get an emailed QRA code or something without needing to be so meticulous in planning.

Somehow thousands of people make it on to Manchester Airport car park every day without the need for an army of ticket marshalls.

Besides if the surcharge wasn’t a disincentive then those 6000 people would turn up anyway and cause the same havoc. If it is then the club is deliberately putting people off.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Mowbray has suggested that there'll be some academy players on the pitch against Swansea. Butterworth? Vale? Buckley? Grayson? Would be great to see them for an extended time on the pitch and see what we have coming through the ranks against real opposition.

Vale a quality player. Started out wide but has been moved central up top because of the lack of Nuttall/Mansell this year. He's adapted perfectly.

11 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That's easy to imagine, as it's pretty much always the case.

Waggot made similar comments in the consultation, I read. Whatever they're staffing at now, it's insufficient. Or perhaps more accurately, they need better staff - particularly in the concourse. Those guys are painfully crap in the main.

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

I don't quite get what you are getting at. We very well could have 6,000+ more fans attend the Swansea game than usual (we certainly did vs Oxford) but imagine if all those fans that attended Oxford just turned up on the morning to buy tickets and the club didn't have sufficient provisions in place. The club would be torn to pieces on this forum for not planning ahead. Part of that planning process is to first understand how many people will be attending in order to assess requirements. There has to be an incentive to buy early and a charge, if you will, for not because it means the clubs' contingency is effected.

On the day prices are almost always more expensive than pre booking in every single industry. We aren't the only club that does it. It isn't like the "old days" where you could walk on - clubs will have to ensure they have a certain staff vs fan ratio, adequate emergency plans in place etc. 

It just seems an odd gripe to have with the club. If somebody wakes up on Saturday morning and wants to go to the football then I'm sure they are adult enough to realise that a lack of foresight means an increased cost. I would...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I have a soft spot for Swansea, notwithstanding Kendall’s team’s meek surrender there. Lived there for six months carrying the Cadbury’s sales bag, going back a few years later to propose to my wife on Mumbles seafront. Barry Hole was one of my customers, he and his brothers ran a very tidy chain of CTN’s (Confectioner, Tobacconist, Newsagent), as were Catherine Zeta Jones’ parents, who had a similar shop in Mumbles. Used to drive past Vetch Field every day.

Other than Barry Hole, I’m struggling to think of any notable players who played for both clubs.

One for the old timers - Eddie Thomas played for both clubs in the early to mid 1960's.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Martin Ollsson

Our own Danny Graham

James Thomas

Chris Coleman