BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre-season 2019/20

Another season draws to a close, and whilst the final game at Swansea is still to be played, there's a lot of thing we already do and don't know about the next campaign.

So what do we know about 2019/20 so far (Jesus that is in-fact an actual 20!)

• This years training camp is yet again in Austria, and is set to be a week long. No matches confirmed nor denied by Steve Waggott, but the location and length of the trip was confirmed at the Fans Forum in March.
  • Tony Mowbray wants to get transfer business done earlier this year, following on from the late rush in Summer 2018.
  • TM’s trip to India scheduled for just after Swansea game.
  • There’s two budgets/plans in mind, one with major investment from Venky’s and one without.
  • Season tickets STILL haven’t been announced, and there’s been no indication that the announcement is imminent either.
  • The 1875 Club Membership Scheme is likely to be retained, with the prospect of smaller away allocations at places such as Luton Town.
  • Jack Rowell future still up in the air, with two Serie A clubs having reportedly enquired about his services.
  • No Home/Away pre-season fixtures announced as of yet, last seasons pre-season fixtures were released on May 10th 2018 - with the first three games announced. So we can safely assume we’ll get something similar.
  • For the last few years we’ve played mainly away fixtures for pre-season, with higher profile games like Liverpool and Everton coming at home.
  • The Under 23’s end their season against Burnley in the Lancashire Senior Cup Final at Leyland, and TM has said that many of them will travel to Austria and be given a chance to prove themselves.
  • Season Ticket Holders From 2018/19 who renew will be able to use the same card for 2019/20. If you’re changing age group, or moving seats, a new will be sent out to you

But what else have I missed, what else do we already know? Or alternatively, much like next years Season Tickets, what do we still not know that we probably should?

After the 2018/19 campaign was dubbed a consolidation year, and Tony Mowbray asked us to give him "three or four" transfer windows to prove himself, what can we expect from the 2019/20 season? Are the expectations to fight for promotion, or is the dreaded word "consolidation" carrying on it's nationwide tour?

650373457_ScreenShot2019-05-01at18_33_45.png.d45318f412dd314394e889501131849a.png

Edited by JoeHarvey

37 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Another season draws to a close, and whilst the final game at Swansea is still to be played, there's a lot of thing we already do and don't know about the next campaign.

• This years training camp is yet again in Austria, and is set to be a week long. No matches confirmed nor denied by Steve Waggott, but the location and length of the trip was confirmed at the Fans Forum in March.
  • Tony Mowbray wants to get transfer business done earlier this year, following on from the late rush in Summer 2018.
  • There’s two budgets/plans in mind, one with major investment from Venky’s and one without.
  • Season tickets STILL haven’t been announced, and there’s been no indication that the announcement is imminent either.
  • The 1875 Club Membership Scheme is likely to be retained, with the prospect of smaller away allocations at places such as Luton Town.
  • Jack Rowell future still up in the air, with two Serie A clubs having reportedly enquired about his services.
  • No Home/Away pre-season fixtures announced as of yet, last seasons pre-season fixtures were released on May 10th 2018 - with the first three games announced. So we can safely assume we’ll get something similar.
  • For the last few years we’ve played mainly away fixtures for pre-season, with higher profile games like Liverpool and Everton coming at home.
  • The Under 23’s end their season against Burnley in the Lancashire Senior Cup Final at Leyland, and TM has said that many of them will travel to Austria and be given a chance to prove themselves.

But what else have I missed, what else do we already know? Or alternatively, much like next years Season Tickets, what do we still not know that we probably should?

After the 2018/19 campaign was dubbed a consolidation year, and Tony Mowbray asked us to give him "three or four" transfer windows to prove himself, what can we expect from the 2019/20 season? Are the expectations to fight for promotion, or is the dreaded word "consolidation" carrying on it's nationwide tour?

650373457_ScreenShot2019-05-01at18_33_45.png.d45318f412dd314394e889501131849a.png

Sadly, there’s far more we don’t know, as the Loons haven’t decided themselves yet.

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Excellent summary, thanks.

• Like 1

• Backroom
13 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Tony Mowbray has already come out and said he wants to challenge for the top 2, or at least the Playoffs next season.

He's said it now, now he's got to deliver it! 

• Like 3

Yeah, I remember TM saying exactly the same last summer about wanting to do business early, then used the World Cup as an excuse why we couldn't.

Like above I'll be amazed if the bulk of our deals are done before the players return to pre season training, it just won't happen, I fully expect a deadline day flap like last year putting in nonsensical bids for people we haven't even heard of/been linked with all summer.

Every manager says he wants to get his transfer business done early and in an ideal world everyone would. No manager is going to say he's relaxed and happy to wait until August to do his signings as fans would be in uproar. For a variety of reasons that isn't usually possible. Of course we are at risk of losing some of our players, and might have to wait for things to fall into place for our signings to arrive. But given we've already allowed 3 weeks to go by since survival was mathematically secured and yet Mowbray seemingly has no idea as to his budget and that it won't get looked at until he goes off to India I know where I direct accountability for our late dealings - Venkys.

In terms of pre-season i'll be disappointed if there's no foreign game(s) once again. There was nothing last year either. I love to go to Europe in early July to watch us kick off our friendlies against unusual opposition in the warm weather, and we must be alone in the top 2 divisions to not arrange any matches abroad. Once again is this Mowbray's preference or just a lack of planning and imagination at the club? I suspect the latter given we also didn't have many games abroad under Bowyer.

We seem to do things back to front. The manager somehow working to two budgets until he discovers whether he has successfully persuaded the owners to cough up the funds required. It should be the other way around - owners decide what they are spending and manager does as he is told.

I find it strange that Tony said venkys were pushing him to spend last season and it was him who didn't want to go all guns blazing and there was money left over and now he doesn't know what kind of budget he has 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I find it strange that Tony said venkys were pushing him to spend last season and it was him who didn't want to go all guns blazing and there was money left over and now he doesn't know what kind of budget he has 

It sounds like he wants/needs even more money to be honest 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

In terms of pre-season i'll be disappointed if there's no foreign game(s) once again. There was nothing last year either. I love to go to Europe in early July to watch us kick off our friendlies against unusual opposition in the warm weather, and we must be alone in the top 2 divisions to not arrange any matches abroad. Once again is this Mowbray's preference or just a lack of planning and imagination at the club? I suspect the latter given we also didn't have many games abroad under Bowyer.

Got to agree. Whether it's games that fans can attend during the Austria trip, or a European game separate to that that we can go to. We had Girona play a friendly here a few years ago at Ewood - and with Ryanair flights to Barcelona Girona being so cheap I'd love it if we could get an away tie against them.

CSKA are in Austria at the same time as us in summer, and whilst no game has been agreed SW said that it’s something which may happen

11 hours ago, Madon said:

Tony Mowbray has already come out and said he wants to challenge for the top 2, or at least the Playoffs next season.

He's said it now, now he's got to deliver it! 

Make your mind up Tony, which is it?  Top two or playoffs?

Rangers have hosted home games v dingles and Wigan in the last couple of pre-seasons so I would like to think it's a possibility. Refreshing to hear that Mowbray has already sorted out the friendly games but it would be nice if the club could release this information as soon as possible so people can plan ahead.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, matt83 said:

Didn’t we play at ibrox in a pre season one year? We defo played them in Australia but sure played north of the boarder as well. 

Only one i remember is in Australia, we have played Hearts, Kilmarnock, Dundee & Celtic away over recent years but i don't recall us ever playing at Ibrox.

21 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Only one i remember is in Australia, we have played Hearts, Kilmarnock, Dundee & Celtic away over recent years but i don't recall us ever playing at Ibrox.

Yeah think you’re right. I’ve always wanted to go to ibrox couldn’t remember the game but it was a game wanted to go to but couldn’t go so assumed was rovers pre season. 

This summer I've got a wedding on the 20th of July so for anyone thinking of going get that weekend booked. If it’s on its bound to be then.