BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre-season 2019/20

On 03/05/2019 at 07:17, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Would love to visit Ibrox.

Be careful what you wish for, SG 194. Once, 10 or more years ago now, when visiting an - English - old College pal whose work had taken him to Glasgow, we went to a Scottish League game at Ibrox.

I found it quite an intimidating atmosphere - not perhaps quite as scary as being a Rovers fan when we're leading at the old Den in Millwall in pre-segregation days - and was glad I wasn't wearing the opposition's colours that Saturday afternoon.

At least we and Rangers fans both wear blue and white scarves and it'd be a Friendly match but it could be 'fun'. I'll be there if it takes place, of course, but the 70-odd year old me hopes we'd get a specific allocation of tickets.

Call me cynical (ha!) but this could be the flagship event for Waggott to flog 1875 club membership.

If matchday surcharges are a tax on walk-ons, the 1875 is a tax on season ticket holders.

Being a ST holder should automatically gain you the necessary privilege to purchase future add-ons first without having to ‘upgrade’ to 1875. Being in the 1875 should be a way for walk-ons to be able to access those privileges but I’d increase the price of it. Having a ST needs to be the best deal in town.

Just now, Stuart said:

Rochdale, Rangers. Easy mistake to make. ??‍♂️

Rangers fans on Twitter were saying the Rangers v Rovers game is arranged to be on the 21st. As that date has been left vacant I think it’s likely to be true. We’ll be waiting for the go ahead from them to announce it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

Rangers fans on Twitter were saying the Rangers v Rovers game is arranged to be on the 21st. As that date has been left vacant I think it’s likely to be true. We’ll be waiting for the go ahead from them to announce it.

I was told Rangers was a go-er up until recently when they were invited elsewhere so it wont be happening.

Not a bad selection of friendlies in terms of getting to. More convenient than Lincoln and Grimsby of previous seasons. Hopefully we'll get a couple more games but against higher calibre opposition.

Once again the lack of fixtures against continental opposition to me smells of a lack of planning and ambition. Easy to pick up the phone to the old friends down at Rochdale and Blackpool but not as easy to arrange a game in Europe against a high profile European club.

Some dreary, albeit local, fixtures there. Hope there will be a couple of interesting additions along the way.

I do enjoy an odd ball pre season away day so as played barrow 2 seasons ago and the others in league one not really feeling these. Thought Barrow would be a rare ground to tick off the list. Nope back again. Even a Salford or Chorley would be a bit different whilst keeping the non league local theme going. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

Some dreary, albeit local, fixtures there. Hope there will be a couple of interesting additions along the way.

I do enjoy an odd ball pre season away day so as played barrow 2 seasons ago and the others in league one not really feeling these. Thought Barrow would be a rare ground to tick off the list. Nope back again. Even a Salford or Chorley would be a bit different whilst keeping the non league local theme going. 

Agree. I thought Salford or fylde might be one. Even Fleetwood would have been ok. I really hope this rangers is a goer. 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Barrow we played the other year and there's the Hardcastle transfer connection. Blackpool there's the Terry McPhillips connection. Rochdale there's the Sam Hart connection. Bury there's the Scott Wharton connection. 

Wouldn't surprise me if all 4 have come about because of those.

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Wonder if we’ll have an Eredivisie side over at Ewood as the curtain raiser. Or maybe it’ll be Premier League giants, Brighton.

Blackpool away is a week before the season starts I think. Where can they fit an Ewood game in and maybe Wigan cannot make it this year.

Last year the Austrian training camp was the last week in June so if it’s the same again and with the season starting on August the 3rd that leaves room for one more weekend fixture (July 20th) and midweek fixtures.

So either way looks like it will be slim pickins for pre-season. 

44 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Blackpool away is a week before the season starts I think. Where can they fit an Ewood game in and maybe Wigan cannot make it this year.

Good point, but equally we could play the U23s and fringe players on the Saturday at Blackpool and then the first team on Sunday at Ewood against Feyenoord.

Well, I can dream!

Some more news:

- Two more friendlies to be announced (confirmed by RS of the LT).
- One of those games expected to be Rangers, and the other to be a home tie.
- Chances are, one of the already confirmed away games will be a Development Squad Game.

- The transfer window opened this week.
- Retained list is also out (https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/may/rovers-confirm-retain-list/).
- RS saying Gladwin likely to get a 6 month contract to give him a chance of playing/moving elsewhere in January.

- Had it confirmed personally that ticket details for the first four announced away games will start to be released within the next three weeks

What else have we missed so far guys?

On 11/05/2019 at 09:16, Stuart said:

Wonder if we’ll have an Eredivisie side over at Ewood as the curtain raiser. Or maybe it’ll be Premier League giants, Brighton.

Wouldn't shock me RE: an Eredivisie side seen as Mowbray has spent so much time out there. Must've developed connections.

3 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Some more news:

- Chances are, one of the already confirmed away games will be a Development Squad Game.

- Retained list is also out (https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/may/rovers-confirm-retain-list/).
- RS saying Gladwin likely to get a 6 month contract to give him a chance of playing/moving elsewhere in January.

- Had it confirmed personally that ticket details for the first four announced away games will start to be released within the next three weeks

Has Sharpe said this or is this just the rumour? I keep hearing about Rangers which would be class but I'm doubtful about it. They will have Champions League qualifiers around the time we have gaps in our schedule. I also don't think there's much appetite at Rovers for a home game given the 'showcase' games against Everton and Liverpool last year weren't exactly well attended.

I really hope the missing 2 friendlies are going to be against teams to get an ounce of anticipation up for. The ones announced so far are very uninspiring.

2 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Some more news:

Sharpe said there wouldn't be a home game. You seem to be posting your guesses as 'news' (unless you've been told by someone who would know??)

44 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sharpe said there wouldn't be a home game. You seem to be posting your guesses as 'news' (unless you've been told by someone who would know??)

Not at all, I'd heard there'd be a home game from quite a few people, hence why I said "expected". It isn't just my opinion, but for sure it's not confirmed news.