BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre-season 2019/20

• Backroom
7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Comes down to effort. Stanley have an owner trying to grow and progress his club. We don't.

I'll give this a mention at the Trust AGM tomorrow, see if they can do any prodding for next season.

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

Comes down to effort. Stanley have an owner trying to grow and progress his club. We don't.

Last season we played Liverpool (European champions) in pre season, yes we have played them many times in the past but that was a good pre season curtain raiser. Our home game for this season has not been announced yet. it is far bigger to grow something that has room to grow. Examples first few months in gym, children learning at school. I would say nowadays Rovers are doing well if we are in the top half of the championship with a possibility of promotion. 

Finally if we were to have a pre season games with Marseille it would be in front of 10k max realistically between 6 and 8k - no one would be bothered.

55 minutes ago, AshleyClifford said:

Last season we played Liverpool (European champions) in pre season, yes we have played them many times in the past but that was a good pre season curtain raiser. Our home game for this season has not been announced yet. it is far bigger to grow something that has room to grow. Examples first few months in gym, children learning at school. I would say nowadays Rovers are doing well if we are in the top half of the championship with a possibility of promotion. 

Finally if we were to have a pre season games with Marseille it would be in front of 10k max realistically between 6 and 8k - no one would be bothered.

We aren't playing a home game this summer. 

You talk about attendances for these games - how many do you reckon will turn up at Salford on a Thursday at 6pm to watch Stanley play? A couple of thousand at the very most I would expect. Hasn't stopped them arranging it. The point isn't to make money from them or get full houses. Its to play against high profile opposition, build links with big clubs and try to enhance the clubs profile. 

Cardiff are going on a tour of the USA and Canada pre season playing 3 games. I'm sure it would have been easier and cheaper for them not to bother with it and stay at home playing Newport and Cheltenham but they see the merits in going to America. 

These sort of things require planning and some motivation. We don't have much of that.

Virtually every team in the top two divisions except Rovers and a couple of others have arranged at least one game abroad. Many League One and Two clubs have. We don't do that sort of thing here.

If Holt and Stanley can grow then so can we by the same if not greater margins. Easier to convince ourselves that it isn't possible though.

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Cardiff are going on a tour of the USA and Canada pre season playing 3 games. I'm sure it would have been easier and cheaper for them not to bother with it and stay at home playing Newport and Cheltenham but they see the merits in going to America. 

These sort of things require planning and some motivation. We don't have much of that.

Also the potential to gain fans and sell merchandise abroad which otherwise wouldnt have heard of the club. I'd imagine if Venkys were actually bothered about the club they would be making us do pre season tours against Indian sides. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

You talk about attendances for these games - how many do you reckon will turn up at Salford on a Thursday at 6pm to watch Stanley play? A couple of thousand at the very most I would expect. Hasn't stopped them arranging it. The point isn't to make money from them or get full houses. Its to play against high profile opposition, build links with big clubs and try to enhance the clubs profile. 

Virtually every team in the top two divisions except Rovers and a couple of others have arranged at least one game abroad. Many League One and Two clubs have. We don't do that sort of thing here.

If Holt and Stanley can grow then so can we by the same if not greater margins. Easier to convince ourselves that it isn't possible though.

We played Prague in Austria last year. I don't recall anyone being overly excited about that. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Train tickets are at a premium now esp virgin!  Got ours just waiting for match tickets now!

When I looked this morning it was £40 return or £26 with a railcard? Have they gone up?

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

We're on the same train and paid £34 each with senior railcards. We are back on the 18.37.

Yeah same. Booked it immediately after the game was announced. Got it for 26 with my 26-30 card, 40 without 

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

Sorry, I presumed we would have a home game but was TBC. Rangers away is a high profile friendly to be fair. Neutral fans are really only interested in the top clubs , by having a pre season tour of the states or where ever we don’t really increase awareness of Blackburn rovers. We appealed to Australians by having Emerton, Lucas Neil and similarly in Norway by having morten gamst pedersen. Accrington Stanley are no better of having played Marseille in a pre season game, I’m 100% on that.

Edited by AshleyClifford

20 hours ago, JHRover said:

Cardiff are playing San Antonio and New Mexico United. 2 plodders from the USL.

Similar standard to Newport and Cheltenham to be quite honest just a lot further to travel. 

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Cardiff are playing San Antonio and New Mexico United. 2 plodders from the USL.

Similar standard to Newport and Cheltenham to be quite honest just a lot further to travel. 

So why are they going then? Like Stanley and others their owners see merit in trying to increase their profile and are trying to generate interest. 

On 20/06/2019 at 08:24, philipl said:

Isn't the playing surface being completely re-done this summer?

On 20/06/2019 at 11:16, Bigdoggsteel said:

We played Prague in Austria last year. I don't recall anyone being overly excited about that. 

Now now lads let's not let such trivia get in the way of a good moan.

Our global profile has taken a huge hit because we haven't arranged a pre-season friendly with Marseille...........................yep.

• Like 1

I’m sure we’ll play a game against CSKA again as they always train at the same campus in Austria that we do, but they’re clearly going to do it behind closed doors.

*Side note to add, Ladies and Reserve team pre-season fixtures have also now been announced.

3 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

I’m sure we’ll play a game against CSKA again as they always train at the same campus in Austria that we do, but they’re clearly going to do it behind closed doors.

*Side note to add, Ladies and Reserve team pre-season fixtures have also now been announced.

The Ladies preseason fixtures are impressive with 3 WSL opponents included

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/june/ladies-pre-season-schedule-confirmed/