BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre-season 2019/20

28 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Personally I'd rather avoid that - it only takes one dickhead and Rangers have plenty of those among their support. Anyone coming up on the train can nip into either Kitty O'Sheas on Waterloo Street or there's a Wetherspoons on the corner of Hope Street and Argyle Street called the Sir John Moore, both literally right next to the train station. The Wetherspoons has scaffolding around it at the moment but it is still open as usual. There are also a couple of pubs on Hope Street between those two. We will have my partner's kids with us so are likely to be in the Wetherspoons (Kittys is my 'local' and there will be no Rangers fans in there!)

There will be some numbskulls travelling from Blackburn Andy. You know the ones, they once had a pint of Guinness and they become Irish and want to tell the world how they are proud Paddies. Hopefully the police will come down hard on any of the sectarian bullshit.

• Like 1

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

For those going enjoy the day,can't see any problems whatsoever.

And yes,for many of us Rangers are the preferred Scottish team...like it or lump it!

’Second club’s’ is all a bit odd to me, and a bit cringe when they are old firm teams, but good luck to you!

Just now, arbitro said:

There will be some numbskulls travelling from Blackburn Andy. You know the ones, they once had a pint of Guinness and they become Irish and want to tell the world how they are proud Paddies. Hopefully the police will come down hard on any of the sectarian bullshit.

It will be as bad, if not worse the other way, ‘Blackburn Loyal’ ‘f the Pope’, ‘fenians’ and all that bollocks.

Both ‘sides’ with zero connection to Glasgow or Northern Ireland for that matter.

All pathetic. Get behind the bloody Rovers!

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

My train pulls in at 2.10 leaving me 45 minutes get to Ibrox. Is it easy enough get to and will I make kick off ?

Assuming you are arriving at Central station you exit at the rear of the station (Argyle Street exit) turn left and head for St Enoch's Underground station which is about 150 yards along Argyle Street. The underground will get you to Ibrox within just a few minutes, so you should be okay. Don't stop for a pint on the way though!!

For those going enjoy the day,can't see any problems whatsoever.

And yes,for many of us Rangers are the preferred Scottish team...like it or lump it!

I quite like Rangers and Celtic. Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone being early reasons.

• Like 1

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Assuming you are arriving at Central station you exit at the rear of the station (Argyle Street exit) turn left and head for St Enoch's Underground station which is about 150 yards along Argyle Street. The underground will get you to Ibrox within just a few minutes, so you should be okay. Don't stop for a pint on the way though!!

Ok cheers 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Get behind the bloody Rovers!

What the 'eck do you think we are going for Matty lad!

The sectarianism is nothing to do with us.A visit to one of the biggest clubs in the UK and a new ground ticked off for many.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 4

What the 'eck do you think we are going for Matty lad!

The sectarianism is nothing to do with us.A visit to one of the biggest clubs in the UK and a new ground ticked off for many.

. . . of whom I'm one.

I've a Geordie mate from College days who's lived in Glasgow for 30+ years but doesn't particularly follow Scottish football. When I've stayed with him & his family in the past, we've been to Premiership games at Firhill - his local ground - and Ibrox. What an experience that was!

I never thought I'd get a chance to see Rovers at Ibrox and he knows what I'm like at 'collecting grounds' where we've played. So when the game was announced, his invitation to visit more or less crossed with my request.

I'm invited to his younger son's wedding near Glasgow this time next year. So if we could arrange a pre-season friendly at Hearts (or Partick!) in mid-July 2020, that'd be much appreciated!??

• Like 2

Not been on enough Scottish grounds. Been on Celtic, Kilmarnock, Hearts, Hibs and Annan and soon to be Rangers with Rovers, wish we'd arranged more games up there over the last few years but as with everything else we've kept it more local.

Just now, JHRover said:

Not been on enough Scottish grounds. Been on Celtic, Kilmarnock, Hearts, Hibs and Annan and soon to be Rangers with Rovers, wish we'd arranged more games up there over the last few years but as with everything else we've kept it more local.

We almost always played a pre season game or two up there during Kenny's time as manager. I remember us playing the likes of Motherwell, Ayr United and also Celtic at Hampden Park. That last one was a few days before we played United at Wembley in the Charity Shield, therefore playing in both England and Scotland's national stadiums during the same week. We comfortably lost both games without scoring. This was August 1994. The rest, as they say, is history.

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Changing the topic, report in the LT about Accy Stanley's friendly at Sligo Rovers where Stanley lost 1-0.

20 "hardy" Stanley fans went over for the game! Love it! Fair play to them.

Don't know how many PNE fans were in the crowd that saw them beat Cork City 2-0 last night.

As one who remembers a pre-season game in Bray one Saturday evening many seasons ago - for the Andy McEvoy Trophy, if memory serves! - I can't help wishing for a pre-season tour of Ireland.

Yeah we went to Bray. Great trip.

Remember thinking it was weird seeing all the locals drinking cider with ice from these big bottles.

About a year later every bugger back here was supping Magners! ^_^

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, m1st said:

Don't know how many PNE fans were in the crowd that saw them beat Cork City 2-0 last night.

As one who remembers a pre-season game in Bray one Saturday evening many seasons ago - for the Andy McEvoy Trophy, if memory serves! - I can't help wishing for a pre-season tour of Ireland.

Was that early 90's? First season up?

Without digging boxes of old programmes out - no time for that, presently - I'd have to say, "Pass!"

Edit: I'll defer to Matty's better recall!

Edited by m1st
Previous reply

I've lost touch with former colleagues from 20+ years ago who gave the appearance of being ITK at Gigg Lane; but reading between the lines of their local weekly paper, I'd be extremely surprised if that game went ahead, either.

I'm not sure if they even have a squad yet, let alone one capable of playing in League One.

Just now, m1st said:

I've lost touch with former colleagues from 20+ years ago who gave the appearance of being ITK at Gigg Lane; but reading between the lines of their local weekly paper, I'd be extremely surprised if that game went ahead, either.

I'm not sure if they even have a squad yet, let alone one capable of playing in League One.

Even if it does go ahead is it going to be of any material benefit to Rovers?

Other than a few hundred fans helping to fill the Bury coffers I cant see much use to our team of playing a side cobbled together through trialists.

Would have been nice to have had a pre season with testing games against decent opposition rather than this shambles.

We knew Bury were knackered and Rochdale's pitch was being relaid weeks ago. Could have played other teams but risked it to make life easier and now its mucking up our pre season.

• Like 2