BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre-season 2019/20

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

Rovers pay good wages and some some players on £10k/week plus

Trying to move players into L1 etc who are on this kind of money isn't easy as can be imagined so you're looking at Championship level and above and there won't be many takers for certain players who may be surplus so it's not simple moving players on

Very true, our chance to offload some of the players on higher wages went with needlessly and prematurely extending their contracts as a "reward," see Mulgrew, Smallwood and Williams.

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

Rovers pay good wages and some some players on £10k/week plus

Trying to move players into L1 etc who are on this kind of money isn't easy as can be imagined so you're looking at Championship level and above and there won't be many takers for certain players who may be surplus so it's not simple moving players on

Very true but that doesn't mean you have to select them as first choices or even play them at all unless you're shop windowing.

Also there is the loan option possibly with wage contribution and even the option of paying up some contract on mutual agreement terms for lesser paid ones. There are ways and means to go about it if you really want rid but in short if you don't try and shift them you never will.

• Like 2

If some of you lot (after watching him week in week out) think Evans is decent then surely others do too... always plays well on the international stage ?

If I was Doncaster or someone I’d be banging on the door for Richie.

Him, Samuel and Nuttall won’t be on megabucks at all - and would only like a loan for Nuttall.

Something’s got to give with the squad size now, I find it hard to name a match day 18.

11 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Brereton was down the middle and had a decent game, with Butterworth behind

Rankin-Costello was the standout 2nd half bombing forward from right back, looks promising

Ironic that he scores goals when played as a striker but will have to give way to Graham, and now battle with Gallagher for understudy.

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

If some of you lot (after watching him week in week out) think Evans is decent then surely others do too... always plays well on the international stage ?

If I was Doncaster or someone I’d be banging on the door for Richie.

Him, Samuel and Nuttall won’t be on megabucks at all - and would only like a loan for Nuttall.

Something’s got to give with the squad size now, I find it hard to name a match day 18.

The squad is both bloated and incredibly light in certain areas at the same time.

You'd presume that Evans is one of our top earners, add to that I haven't seen any suggestion that he is anything but a major part of Mowbrays plans and I can't see him going anywhere.

56 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Very true but that doesn't mean you have to select them as first choices or even play them at all unless you're shop windowing.

Also there is the loan option possibly with wage contribution and even the option of paying up some contract on mutual agreement terms for lesser paid ones. There are ways and means to go about it if you really want rid but in short if you don't try and shift them you never will.

Most football clubs are to man management that a bucket of water is to a paper bag.

Footballers are human beings too and playing at the marzipan level of the Championship are close enough to the icing sugar of the premier League but also in our case, have seen the depths of League 1.

I do not begrudge these players their contract extensions and if we sell one or two of them for the odd few £100K then the contracts will have paid for themselves generating transfer income from players who otherwise would have been free agents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, philipl said:

Most football clubs are to man management that a bucket of water is to a paper bag.

Footballers are human beings too and playing at the marzipan level of the Championship are close enough to the icing sugar of the premier League but also in our case, have seen the depths of League 1.

I do not begrudge these players their contract extensions and if we sell one or two of them for the odd few £100K then the contracts will have paid for themselves generating transfer income from players who otherwise would have been free agents.

What is it with the latest craze of icing sugar, baking and cakes being used to describe our current situation? Two different threads now lol.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, philipl said:

If they could get 2/3k for Smallwood i'd use it to pay him up in a gentle nudge if he didn't want to go or if it was a genuine sale then use the proceeds to ease out Evans who's wages would be a sticking point to leaving, that sort of thing.

Like I've said there are surely ways and means of doing it fairly but without resorting to the old days and paying people up full contracts again plus agents whack. When KD came in he had a few old favs on contracts to ease out and did it professionally but ruthlessly, no sentiment if you want success. I know it's not the same as that revolution but I don't think they used bundles of Jacks cash just to get rid there was some wheeling and dealing going on for the right reasons.

I really don't see the point of carrying so many midfielders swallowing up the wage budget. Time for a new broom in that dept imo.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I was wondering if it was behind closed doors because the game next week wont go ahead.

Probably.

That would be two of the pre-season opportunities for us to see how the new arrivals are being 'bedded in' cancelled.