BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Craig Short

only2garners

I see from yesterday's match programme that Craig Short is the new manager at Ferencvaros. Of no interest to me as I was a teenage armchair Honved fan

Seems Ferencvaros are a part of Sheff United and have a few of the youth team players out in Hungary too.

Wiki Link

I see from yesterday's match programme that Craig Short is the new manager at Ferencvaros. Of no interest to me as I was a teenage armchair Honved fan

I bet that you are of an age wher you once could get a type of football boot named after Honved?

I noticed that Andy Morrison is the assistant manager at Northwich Vics.

Could you enlighten the uninitiated what the reference was to ozz?

I Was A Teenage Armchair Honved Fan is an early Half Man Half Biscuit track, I guess the title was (as usual with HMHB) an homage to an existing cultural reference, in this case a 50's shlock movie I Was A Teenage Werewolf. HMHB are from the Wirral (God I sound like AESF now) and are well known Tranmere Rovers fans, football playing a recurring role in themes in their music.

E.G.

Friday Night (And the gates are low)-a reference to Tranmeres habit of playing on Friday night.

All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit

And my own favourite football/HMHB reference, Even Men with Steel Hearts, which has the line "Even Men with Steel Hearts Love to see a Dog On The Pitch"

I Was A Teenage Armchair Honved Fan is an early Half Man Half Biscuit track, I guess the title was (as usual with HMHB) an homage to an existing cultural reference, in this case a 50's shlock movie I Was A Teenage Werewolf. HMHB are from the Wirral (God I sound like AESF now) and are well known Tranmere Rovers fans, football playing a recurring role in themes in their music.

E.G.

Friday Night (And the gates are low)-a reference to Tranmeres habit of playing on Friday night.

All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit

And my own favourite football/HMHB reference, Even Men with Steel Hearts, which has the line "Even Men with Steel Hearts Love to see a Dog On The Pitch"

Spot on Oz. I knew there would be at least someone on here who would pick it up.

They used to let their support of Tranmere get in the way of possible rock stardom. They famously refused to appear on a popular music programme in Newcastle one Friday night (The Word?) as it clashed with a Tranmere home game.

Interesting. Not just any club in Hungary either, but Ferencvaros.

He definitely had that 'management potential aura' as a player, it sounds like he's done his coaching badges too. He's one of my favourite defenders that we've had, I'd love to see him come back as manager one day.

Edited by LeChuck
  • Like 1

Presumably lifted from Saturday's programme! Ferencvaros sounds impressive but they're not what they were, towards the foot of the table and having games abandoned due to fan riots. It will be a challenge but that's when you usually get the break to be a manager.

Interesting. Not just any club in Hungary either, but Ferencvaros.

He definitely had that 'management potential aura' as a player, it sounds like he's done his coaching badges too. He's one of my favourite defenders that we've had, I'd love to see him come back as manager one day.

Agree, one of the few players I've had a decent length conversation with and you could tell he was pretty switched on and had a genuine love of the game, so it's not a massive suprise that he's got his shot at management. Just a bit of a suprise where he's starting out.

• 4 weeks later...

While Craig Short's team were on a winter break, he visited Ewood Park for the Liverpool game. Later that night, he went to Westholme's Peter Pan production, where I spoke to him (his missus ran the production and my gf's sister was in it). he said that he one day hopes to coach at one of his former clubs. I told him he'd be more than welcome back here.

Was always a big fan of Short.

I've long since forgiven him for turning us down in favour of Derby. ;)

Short was one of my fave players. Strong, hard, and looked like he could take several beatings and still walk away without a bruise hahaha. He's english too!!! But I always remember the day of Matty Derbyshire's debut under Souness. Didn't Short get sent off for sending a Fulham player flying about 20 yards with a single push? I would place Short in my all-time defence (of players I've seen play). While I've been a STH for 5 years and attended at least 5 games in each of my 6 years of support before that, I'd say that wasn't too hard a choice....

Edited by mellison24

I think it was Dunn said that after Short opened the scoring against Burnley in the 5-0 win, he was running around shouting 'That's my first goal in 5 years!'. About 5 minutes later he dribbled along the bye-line before cutting the ball across goal, where it was deflected in by Steve Davis. He started running around shouting 'That's my second goal in 5 years'. Legend!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...