BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bobby Svarc

D-side17

Does anyone remember much about Bobby Svarc's time with us. He was a few years before my time but I am aware of the name. I ask because we had a plumber fixing our boiler last night and we got chatting to him about football (as you do) and he said that his dad grew up with Bobby Svarc in Leicester and was good mates with him.

I had a quick look at him on Wiki and he seemed to have a decent scoring record throughout his career albeit at a relatively low level.

I was just interested if anyone had any particularly strong views on or memories of him.

Bobby did a maintenace job on my alarm system a few years back. Nice chap very professional.

Going back many years ago after he had long finished playing football, I played against him on Witton Park astra turf. His game was still there and as expected he was thinking two or three passes ahead of most of mine and did a lot of shouting on the pitch, which is why he made it at professional level. Think he played for Colchester at some point.

Bobby did a maintenace job on my alarm system a few years back. Nice chap very professional.

Going back many years ago after he had long finished playing football, I played against him on Witton Park astra turf. His game was still there and as expected he was thinking two or three passes ahead of most of mine and did a lot of shouting on the pitch, which is why he made it at professional level. Think he played for Colchester at some point.

Ah yes about 5'0'' stocky and not quick enough to lead the line on his own

Do remember a cracking diving header in a 6-1 against someone (notts co ?) in the late 70's

• 2 years later...
6 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I went for a kickabout this afternoon in Pleasington Fields with my son. He fancies himself as a keeper and I still hanker after a Rovers call up at the age of forty seven. 

Whilst slotting a few penalties past him in the admittedly huge nets on the pitch over the (once) blue bridge, I noticed a sprightly dog walker of pensionable age taking a keen interest as my lad repeatedly made the thirty yard dash to retrieve the ball that I had smashed past him in fatherly fashion. After a few minutes, the old boy ambled over and said hello. He asked if it would be ok to pass a tip onto my son to help him when facing penalties. He then spent a minute or so doing a bit of coaching with him which my son clearly found interesting. I formed the strong impression that he was an ex pro and when he came back over I asked him.

"Bobby Svarc" came the reply.  I didn't start watching Rovers until well into the 1977/'78 season so I missed him by a few months but the name,was familiar to me. I shook his hand and had a lovely chat to him for 15 minutes or so. He is 72 years old now but clearly in good nick. He told me that Rovers was his last team, he retired at 31 with knee problems. We talked a bit about players of his era and, me being me I mentioned my all time hero Garns who he said he rated highly.

He started at Leicester as a boy and played with the likes of Gordon Banks. He said he had played with or against all of the '66 World Cup team other than Jack Charlton and Stiles. He told me that Jimmy Greaves was simply the greatest striker he ever saw.

All in all a really good day for me and I was chuffed to talk with him.

My son won't reveal the penalty tip though.....

Yeah Jimmy Greaves in his prime was a tremendous finisher. Put him through on goal and you could walk back into your own half and wait to kick off again.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I went for a kickabout this afternoon in Pleasington Fields with my son. He fancies himself as a keeper and I still hanker after a Rovers call up at the age of forty seven. 

Whilst slotting a few penalties past him in the admittedly huge nets on the pitch over the (once) blue bridge, I noticed a sprightly dog walker of pensionable age taking a keen interest as my lad repeatedly made the thirty yard dash to retrieve the ball that I had smashed past him in fatherly fashion. After a few minutes, the old boy ambled over and said hello. He asked if it would be ok to pass a tip onto my son to help him when facing penalties. He then spent a minute or so doing a bit of coaching with him which my son clearly found interesting. I formed the strong impression that he was an ex pro and when he came back over I asked him.

"Bobby Svarc" came the reply.  I didn't start watching Rovers until well into the 1977/'78 season so I missed him by a few months but the name was familiar to me. I shook his hand and had a lovely chat to him for 15 minutes or so. He is 72 years old now but clearly in good nick. He told me that Rovers was his last team, he retired at 31 with knee problems. We talked a bit about players of his era and, me being me I mentioned my all time hero Garns who he said he rated highly.

He started at Leicester as a boy and played with the likes of Gordon Banks. He said he had played with or against all of the '66 World Cup team other than Jack Charlton and Stiles. He told me that Jimmy Greaves was simply the greatest striker he ever saw.

Great story; thanks for posting.

Surprised fans haven't mentioned him before. It appears Bobby Svarc settled in Blackburn after he finished playing and has a longstanding security business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Svarc 

Also makes you realise how much young players would benefit from listening and being coached by former players such as him who would like to pass on their knowledge but have never been asked. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Was it not on here recently that he was a Jehovah's Witness and had called at someone on here's house?

Funnily enough this jogged my memory that when my son told him he is called James, Bobby remarked "ah, one of Jesus' disciples". 

I wasn't converted though, (unlike my penalties !) ?

2 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

"Bobby Svarc" came the reply.  I didn't start watching Rovers until well into the 1977/'78 season so I missed him by a few months but the name was familiar to me. I shook his hand and had a lovely chat to him for 15 minutes or so. He is 72 years old now but clearly in good nick. He told me that Rovers was his last team, he retired at 31 with knee problems. We talked a bit about players of his era and, me being me I mentioned my all time hero Garns who he said he rated highly.

Great story, very well told.

Bobby was symptomatic of Jim Smith’s struggles to get a consistent goalscoring centre forward in an otherwise exciting team. Graham and Dack up front would’ve seen us go up for sure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Funnily enough this jogged my memory that when my son told him he is called James, Bobby remarked "ah, one of Jesus' disciples". 

I wasn't converted though, (unlike my penalties !) ?

Peter Knowles packed in football at the height of his career with Wolves to join the JW's. Think of a tall, slimmer version of Dack with pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Peter Knowles packed in football at the height of his career with Wolves to join the JW's. Think of a tall, slimmer version of Dack with pace.

Cyril's brother. Top player was Peter - future England star. It was a big story at the time - can you imagine today's players doing the same? Their religion is self and money. 

Bobby Svarc was signed by Jim Smith from Colchester United where Jim had been manager he had also signed Bobby from Boston United where Jim was manager before taking the Colchester job. Bobby fitted an alarm for me in the middle eighties and always reckoned Jim Smith had saved his career at Boston. He lived on Revidge for many years. Lovely bloke Bobby always happy to talk football.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Was it not on here recently that he was a Jehovah's Witness and had called at someone on here's house?

He certainly called at mine over 30 years ago. I remember him trying to pursue his lecture on the ancient Greeks' 8 kinds of love (not a joke!)

He did seem a tad frustrated, when I kept bringing the subject back to Rovers!

All along the watchtower,

They were wearing white and blue...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Cyril's brother. Top player was Peter - future England star. It was a big story at the time - can you imagine today's players doing the same? Their religion is self and money. 

Wolves kept his registration for about 10 years after he left. They were hoping he'd change his mind but he never did. Him and Dougan were a great combination up front.