BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Howard Gayle

FourLaneBlue

• 6 years later...

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/ex-liverpool-blackburn-player-gayle-declines-mbe

Howard gayle has turned down an MBE. Can't fault his reasoning.

Loved Howard Gayle. Nothing could get the BBE going quite like a bit of HG pre-match rabble-rousing! Top, top man.

That brought back memories, as I think he was a member of the team that beat Palace 3-1 in the first leg of the play off final, under the old format. Unless I am mistaken, he missed the penalty that could have made it 4-1 ad we all know what followed at Selhurst Park.

That brought back memories, as I think he was a member of the team that beat Palace 3-1 in the first leg of the play off final, under the old format. Unless I am mistaken, he missed the penalty that could have made it 4-1 ad we all know what followed at Selhurst Park.

He was brilliant that night, ripped them apart. They couldn't handle him.

His reasonings for declining are obvious and well delivered.

Edited by A cup of beans

He scored two screamers early on and I think the penalty would have made it 3-0. If it had gone in I reckon we would have scored at least another one or two as we were on fire in that first leg. We would have put the tie beyond doubt and Howard, Gennoe and Garns would have had a season in the 1st division....

• Like 1

I remember that very well. If he scored I have no doubt we would have been up. That's life !!

I was also good mates with his Brother who lived

in Toxteth, Liverpool 8.

HG is a lovely and principled chap.

• Like 2

We played Huddersfield away on 2 Jan 1988, won 2 -1. HG was substituted but came on the pitch at the end of the match to thank a large Rovers following. Failed to win any of our last 4 home games - 2 extra points would have been enough for automatic promotion. Got beat by Chelsea in play offs. What we would give now for such a united club, owners, players and fans all pulling in the same direction. #VenkysOut

• Like 8

Gayle should have made it 3-0 but Eddie McGoldrick scored late to make it 2-1. Garner got a last minute goal to make it 3-1. Sadly we had a few bottlers in that team like Mail and Sellars......hence the capitulation in the 2nd le

Must have been a different Sellars that grabbed the play off semi-final against Derby by the scruff of the neck after we went 2-0 down early doors then?

I was never a huge fan of David Mail but to describe - for me - a terrific Rover like Sellars as "a bottler" is harsh, to say the least!

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 5

Must have been a different Sellars that grabbed the play off semi-final against Derby by the scruff of the neck after we went 2-0 down early doors then?

I was never a huge fan of David Mail but to describe - for me - a terrific Rover like Sellars as "a bottler" is harsh, to say the least!

That Sellars goal was class, Newell was back and different class.

We all know that the Croydon Chavs were helped to promotion. The Fa fancied the team of the 70's 😂 being the team of the 90's. London stitch up.

Just watched highlights of the Derby game, what memories. No-one can take those away! Eei Eei Eei Oh.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 4

Seem to think Howard might have been one of the first black players to turn out for Rovers first team ? I certainly remember some guff around at the that we never signed black lads so I think that's why the BBE gave Gayle such a rousing welcome the first time he stepped on Ewood. Haft time penalty comp if I recall and the crowd had a crack with him and he loved it and it went from there.

Class act on the pitch on his day and a real fav of my from youth, proper cult hero the likes of which don't seem to pop up much these days. Maverick off the pitch driving around in his XR2 with long leather jacket and rappers hat on, allegedly put a few quid into one or two local raves that popped up in a farmers field or barn overnight B)

Shame he won't accept his MBE because his work with deprived kids down the years fully deserves it but you can understand his reasoning. Maybe they ought to drop the Empire bit in modern times a call it something else ?

• Like 2

Garbage.

Is it? It was well known AT THE TIME that Sellars vanished into his shell as soon as an aggressive full back kicked him up his arse. Usually he took them to the cleaners but the odd few rattled him

There were many bottlers that terrible day in London. Even Super Atko :(

You are talking THREE YEARS further on when Scott was older and wiser.......hence he finally made it to the Premier League.

As I said at the time in 89 we had a number of players who always crumbled at the business end of the season......hence the numerous play-offs from the jaws of automatic promotion and then playoff capitulations. It needed someone like Kenny to sign a couple of class players and gave the old guard the confidence and mental toughness to go with their ability.

On his day Sellars was a fine player but at that stage in his career he was a bit of a soft lad. IMO

Edited by Rover_Shaun

Is it? It was well known AT THE TIME that Sellars vanished into his shell as soon as the full back kicked him up his arse. When the full back was easy meat he took him to the cleaners.

There were many bottlers that terrible day in London :(

You are talking THREE YEARS further on when Scott was older and wiser.......hence he finally made it to the Premier League.

As I said at the time in 89 we had a number of players who always crumbled at the business end of the season. On his day Sellars was a fine player but at that stage in his career he was a bit of a soft lad. IMO

You can't learn how to not be a bottler. You either are one or you aren't. I can assure you that despite his slight frame, Scottie was no bottler or soft lad. Just a typical wide player of that time - brilliant on his day but with the odd stinker thrown in. Very similar to Noel Brotherston I would suggest. I was as horrified and peed off as the next Rovers fan at Selhurst Park in 1989, and yes we didn't turn up that day, but I think you might have picked the wrong target there mate.

Considering some of the robust full backs and what they could get away with you can understand how some went into their shell a bit. Sellars being about 5'1" and 9 stone wet through he couldn't shoulder barge these guys out of the way and he had really quick feet but no pace so could get away from them.

Class act he was and a bit like Rhodes he just wasn't an aggressive player but he wasn't really a wallflower either he snapped a few tackles from behind in regularly.

Edited by tomphil

You can't learn how to not be a bottler. You either are one or you aren't. I can assure you that despite his slight frame, Scottie was no bottler or soft lad. Just a typical wide player of that time - brilliant on his day but with the odd stinker thrown in. Very similar to Noel Brotherston I would suggest. I was as horrified and peed off as the next Rovers fan at Selhurst Park in 1989, and yes we didn't turn up that day, but I think you might have picked the wrong target there mate.

Its all about opinions ;)
  • Like 1

I have loved some of the last few posts about the eighties. I was in my late teens and early twenties and despite some of those heartbreak near misses in the play offs, the club was my life back then.

It is a shame that it doesn't feel like that anymore, but no one can take away those feelings or those memories, they are simply priceless.

• Like 6

Its all about opinions ;)

No problem whatsoever with that, we all see what we see. However you seem to suggest that there was a groundswell of opinion that Sellars was a soft arse ("It was well known at the time") so you appear to be speaking for others. I would be surprised to see too many people endorsing your opinion. Ask Mark Patterson about Scott Sellars - he curses him as he saw him off the premises at two clubs, and Patty was renowned as a tough tackler.

No problem whatsoever with that, we all see what we see. However you seem to suggest that there was a groundswell of opinion that Sellars was a soft arse ("It was well known at the time") so you appear to be speaking for others. I would be surprised to see too many people endorsing your opinion. Ask Mark Patterson about Scott Sellars - he curses him as he saw him off the premises at two clubs, and Patty was renowned as a tough tackler.

Patty was an animal in his younger days, fortunately he calmed down.

• Like 2

Welk known as in my circle of dad, grandad and teen friends :)

I've never really forgiven those players for 89. It hurts now to think of it

Edited by Rover_Shaun
  • Like 2

Welk known as in my circle of dad, grandad and teen friends :)

I've never really forgiven those players for 89. It hurts now to think of it

The pain of that day. I barely spoke for a week after. It felt like a death of a friend. Even now that bloody song makes me feel sick.

• Like 3

Absolutely awful what's happening in Turkey...

Loved Howard Gayle, almost as much but not quite as much as Scott Sellars, it was at that time I first started going to matches. It's a pity the honours system is so anachronistic and dodgy (just a few, most well deserved) and lots of respect for HG turning down the MBE.