BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Chris Sutton

Anyone know what Chris Sutton is up to these days. Great player, was gutted when he left Rovers.

He retired from Villa due to an eye condition. No idea whether he's coaching, improving his golf handicap or whatever.

A great player. I remember the hattrick he got at Villa Park less than a fortnight after I'd moved to Birmingham and having to do a job interview the next day having lost my voice!

He retired from Villa due to an eye condition. No idea whether he's coaching, improving his golf handicap or whatever.

A great player. I remember the hattrick he got at Villa Park less than a fortnight after I'd moved to Birmingham and having to do a job interview the next day having lost my voice!

He's the reason I support Blackburn. As a kid I never really followed a team as such, but saw this bloke at Norwich who could play centre back when needed, but then go up front & score goals, he made it look so easy. When he signed for Blackburn they became the team I followed & have supported them ever since. Paul Warhurst is another player I liked, again he could play wherever, any idea where he is?

He's the reason I support Blackburn. As a kid I never really followed a team as such, but saw this bloke at Norwich who could play centre back when needed, but then go up front & score goals, he made it look so easy. When he signed for Blackburn they became the team I followed & have supported them ever since. Paul Warhurst is another player I liked, again he could play wherever, any idea where he is?

Shame what happened with Warhurst. I remember his debut at Anfield when we won 1-0 (Newell). He totally dominated midfield and could've been a really big player for us if it wasn't for his constant injuries. Wiki says he played for Northwich last year and almost got the managers job but left before it was decided. Also, THAT goal against Manure in the title season, but the less said about the rest of that game the better. I'm not bitter!

Anyone know what Chris Sutton is up to these days. Great player, was gutted when he left Rovers.

I saw him in Bromley a few weeks ago playing cricket for one of those celebrity teams - with Paul Merson. Not lashings, another one.

He got 11 then ran out.

• 2 years later...

My last memories of Sutton as a Rovers player were him contributing a measly amount of goals which contributed to our relegation and then squealing to the media until he got his move to Chelsea. So **** him.

......and yes I am a very bitter man. :angry2:

My last memories of Sutton as a Rovers player were him contributing a measly amount of goals which contributed to our relegation and then squealing to the media until he got his move to Chelsea. So **** him.

He missed a monumental portion of that season with injury. In fact, I bet we'd have stayed up had he have been leading the line for the majority of the season as opposed to Ashley Ward, Nathan Blake and Kevin Davies.

However, I still believe selling Sherwood was the main contributing factor to our eventual relegation.

Edited by shillito15
  • Like 1

And I'll never forget his hat-trick against Villa in '97.

Wasn't he the one that led a dressing room revolt against Roy? If so then we should have sold him earlier than we did. :o

It depends who you believe.

Unfortunately the net wasn't in full swing back then so you heard something in the pub and then chinese whispers came into play.

Sherwood says not, but then he would. Either way, it was Kidd who sold him.

Wasn't he the one that led a dressing room revolt against Roy? If so then we should have sold him earlier than we did. :o

I thought Sherwood was a main instigator-unhappy with the amount of money Davies was being paid compared to him- and that was one of the reasons he left to go to Tottenham.

Then he found his contract was not as good as he expected and though not overly complimentary to us, referred to as proper football club compared with Spurs.

I think it was speculated that Tottenham were giving him £38k p/w. Bearing in mind this was 1997/1998! If I remember, Martin Dahlin was on £20k p/w and was one of our highest paid players at the time.

I don't remember hearing any rumours that he was unhappy what Davies was being paid, though. I think it was the strictness of Roy that got to the "I know better" types.

I'm sure when he was on at Blues last year Kevin Gallagher alluded to the most 'senior players' (likely Sutton and Sherwood?) being very unhappy with Roy's regime, particularly the fact that he had them training twice a day as was normal at Inter. As a result there was a revolt that led to Hodgson getting the sack, Kidd taking over and ultimately our relegation. ALthough signing sh*te like Ashley Ward, Nathan Blake, Davies, Dario Marcolin etc probably didn't help.

Edited by MarkBRFC71

I think it was speculated that Tottenham were giving him £38k p/w. Bearing in mind this was 1997/1998! If I remember, Martin Dahlin was on £20k p/w and was one of our highest paid players at the time.

I don't remember hearing any rumours that he was unhappy what Davies was being paid, though. I think it was the strictness of Roy that got to the "I know better" types.

What I remember was that Sherwood was over the moon about the idea for signing for them......until after he had signed and then there were some comments suggesting he wasn't getting as much as he had expected.

Sherwood was very disparaging about Davies and there were rumours it was connected to a disparity of pay.

I could, of course, be wrong.

What I remember was that Sherwood was over the moon about the idea for signing for them......until after he had signed and then there were some comments suggesting he wasn't getting as much as he had expected.

Sherwood was very disparaging about Davies and there were rumours it was connected to a disparity of pay.

I could, of course, be wrong.

How could he not get as much as he expected? He did actually look at the contract before signing it, didn't he?

98/99 will forever be the season where everything that could possibly go wrong, did.

Hendry coming back from the world cup and wanting a move. The other 2 Scotts coming back injured.

Bad, bad signings by Hodgson, and him subesquently not being able to handle disharmoney in the team

Sherwood's unprofessionalism, although he was still putting in good performances on the pitch

Flitcroft's injury. Perez not settling.

Unfortunately sacking Roy became the only option. The biggest mistake of all though was who we replaced him with.

A friend went to the recent match when they played Stanley.

He said a lot of the Lincoln fans were unhappy with Sutton.

Hannah will be unhappy about Pearce leaving.

I went and watched Lincoln play Chesterfield and then Stanley - they were rubbish!

Heard loads of stuff about what has happened but think the outcome is for the best. Lincoln is a ###### hole and their fans are absolute idiots.

Sure Ian Pearce will go somewhere else and get some more experience before going back into management!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I went and watched Lincoln play Chesterfield and then Stanley - they were rubbish!

Heard loads of stuff about what has happened but think the outcome is for the best. Lincoln is a ###### hole and their fans are absolute idiots.

Sure Ian Pearce will go somewhere else and get some more experience before going back into management!!!

Went to uni in Lincoln, it certainly isn't a shithole - granted the area around the ground is hardly the best in the city, but that isn't a true reflection of the place.

Their fans are tits though. Worked as a steward in the away end while I was a student.

• 1 month later...

98/99 will forever be the season where everything that could possibly go wrong, did.

Hendry coming back from the world cup and wanting a move. The other 2 Scotts coming back injured.

Bad, bad signings by Hodgson, and him subesquently not being able to handle disharmoney in the team

Sherwood's unprofessionalism, although he was still putting in good performances on the pitch

Flitcroft's injury. Perez not settling.

Unfortunately sacking Roy became the only option. The biggest mistake of all though was who we replaced him with.

That October I made my first visit to Ewood to catch a Rovers/Arse match that finished 1-4, IIRC. Maybe my presence added to that year's malaise.