BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mick Heaton

Nate

This is one for the older members.

I've met a girl who's father is ex Blade and Chesterfield player, Charlie Bell. He apparently was good friends with ex Rover, Mick Heaton. I know that he died in a car crash, but can't find much info on him. What type of player was he?

This is one for the older members.

I've met a girl who's father is ex Blade and Chesterfield player, Charlie Bell. He apparently was good friends with ex Rover, Mick Heaton. I know that he died in a car crash, but can't find much info on him. What type of player was he?

He was a short stocky fullback ( usually right back ), a good defender with a fair turn of pace but not the greatest going forward. He was more likely to put the ball out than in passing up the touchline. Never say die attitude , a real trier and a good clubman, very popular with the fans. He later became Howard Kendalls assistant manager I think.

He was a short stocky fullback ( usually right back ), a good defender with a fair turn of pace but not the greatest going forward. He was more likely to put the ball out than in passing up the touchline. Never say die attitude , a real trier and a good clubman, very popular with the fans. He later became Howard Kendalls assistant manager I think.

Yes it was sad that we lost two great ex Rovers just before our Premier League triumph in Mick Heaton and Noel Brotherston. Noel was the better player of the two but Heaton always gave 100% but I have hazy memories of him scoring an own goal AND hitting his own post in the same game in the early 70s (think it would've been a 3rd Division game).

Am I right in thinking that, before going full time as Howard Kendall's assistant, he owned (or co-owned) a sports shop in Darwen?

Pretty sure Mick Heaton came from Sheff Utd. Tyrone is correct, good defender and 100 percenter.