BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeeper Situation

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Hart is over paid clown pants. He'd be the highest paid player and not that much better than Raya.

Friedel was a clown pants at Liverpool until he came here and reinvented himself.

With the right management, playing to his strengths, Hart could do a job.  However, I don't think we have the coaching expertise to tap into that.

We can find better value on the continent.

Your last sentence is pretty much what I am saying. And that Hart is pretty crap. Been to a few clubs since Citeh, and always bungled things up. Torino didn't want him, West Ham were not keen, and now Burnley decided he was not good enough. Considering he is probably on something like 50,000 p/w, we can do better than some washed up has been with no confidence trading on past glories. He is no Friedel, not now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It would appear from the outside that there's been a falling out between Raya and TM, otherwise why would he be completely frozen out for the last four games after being persisted with all season?

I actually thought he'd picked his game up somewhat after being singled out for public criticism  but the next news he's dropped. Very odd.

I echo the sentiments above, when you see the howlers being made week in week out by De Gea and various other keepers costing 50m or 70m I really don't think Raya is that far away from being a top class keeper.

If he is demoted or allowed to leave it will be a monumental blunder imo.

I still half suspect that when things have settled down and focus is elsewhere they'll announce they are keeping Jason on and the purpose of this run of games is to allow his extra year to kick in whilst having a look at him.

I'm thinking cheap option with any available funds going elsewhere although of course it could change after Mowbrays India trip.

Just now, tomphil said:

I still half suspect that when things have settled down and focus is elsewhere they'll announce they are keeping Jason on and the purpose of this run of games is to allow his extra year to kick in whilst having a look at him.

I'm thinking cheap option with any available funds going elsewhere although of course it could change after Mowbrays India trip.

I think things may have changed once Mowbray started criticising Raya. It seemed that Mowbray had finally losed confidence in him so keeper moved up the priority list

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think things may have changed once Mowbray started criticising Raya. It seemed that Mowbray had finally losed confidence in him so keeper moved up the priority list

Such an un-Mowbray thing to do though seeing as he comes across as very much a players man as is intent on swapping around regardless at times just to give everyone some game time.

Maybe I've got it completely wrong and he's just giving the back up keeper a shop window opportunity hoping he'll get himself fixed up if he's released. That would very much be a TM thing to do.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The commentary team for the game mentioned that Mowbray had told both keepers another keeper is being sought so I don't think its pschology. Im still undecided if it will be as competition for Raya or his replacement .

Precisely- telling him to up his game or else!

Isn't Raya to have face surgery in this off-season? No coincidence that his form went off after that "assault" v West Brom.

Surely we have to see how he recovers? That doesn't mean we shouldn't sign another keeper, I hope we do but I wouldn't write off Raya yet.

Had too much responsibility too soon, needed an older keeper to watch and learn from.

• Like 1

There is a lad at Wimbledon who is on loan from Bournemouth. Aaron Ramsdale. Got rave reviews and tipped for big things. Bournemouth want to loan him to a championship club next season. Would provide competition for raya. Wimbledon fans and pundits alike are saying he will be a premier league goalkeeper in the near future

• Like 3

Leutwiler played well at Norwich but reverted to poor again against Swansea.

I would get rid of Leutwiler, keep Raya, get a much better keeper and, most importantly, get a better goalkeeper coach.

I think TM should review all his backroom staff and be brave enough to replace the poor ones.

• Like 3

I think his comments in the LT are prepping for Leutwiler to be getting retained it's classic Mowbray blowing out some bold statement a few weeks back and then gently winding it in a little while later ?

There'll be no big keeper signing folks it'll be as you were with maybe a similar or another young back up brought in and possible one out on loan then if they keep JL.

The same pair will see us through another similar season no problem but will you build an assault on the play offs on that ?  Maybe not but other areas at the back are pressing for improvement as well particularly when there is lots of swapping and changing in front of them in terms of personnel and tactics, several times per game often.

All good teams are built on solid foundations.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think about the current events the less sense it all makes.

We have a goalkeeper with potential but who isn’t being pushed (because the number two isn’t credible) and is being coached via a text book.

So what do we do?

Re-sign the number two and tell the number one that his services are under question. Then allegedly entertain advances from Brentford for him.

Let’s say he leaves and we bring in Fielding (for instance), then we still have the same problem scenario, just with a different name on the number one shirt.

The only way this ends well is if we bring in either another Friedel (unknown but outstanding - and impervious to injury) or we bring in a talented keeper with top level experience and an experience and mentor-like new gk coach - who can also improve Leutweiler.

If Raya doesn’t leave then his confidence has been kicked and he still has the same lack of competition.

Keeping Leutweiler seems a very poor bit of business when actually upgrading the number two should have been the required first step.

Or does Mowbray see Leutweiler as the new number one - on the back of a good run of results at the end of last season when the pressure was off? ?

52 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Or does Mowbray see Leutweiler as the new number one - on the back of a good run of results at the end of last season when the pressure was off? ?

That's the worry. Mowbray replaced Steele with Raya for the last few games of his first season and moved Steele on in the summer!

Just now, Rogerb said:

That's the worry. Mowbray replaced Steele with Raya for the last few games of his first season and moved Steele on in the summer!

Steele was injured when Mowbray brought Raya in. Would he have dropped Steele?

We'll never know.

At our level, it will take a fair bit to improve on  Raya. There are few outstanding, fault free keepers even in the PL.

Sign Ter Stegen and reluctantly I’ll be happy with letting Raya go.

Raya is an academy product and will play in the PL at some point. Will be devvoed if it’s not with us.

51 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

At our level, it will take a fair bit to improve on  Raya. There are few outstanding, fault free keepers even in the PL.

Sign Ter Stegen and reluctantly I’ll be happy with letting Raya go.

Raya is an academy product and will play in the PL at some point. Will be devvoed if it’s not with us.

Its not that he makes mistakes, it is the regularity of them.

It's a tough one this.

I do think Raya has loads of potential but on the other hand he isn't the keeper we need in the next two seasons to get us promoted.

If Tony is genuinely going to bring in proven quality and go for it, brings in a good experienced keeper who is a guaranteed upgrade then I would have no issue in letting him go. In an ideal world he would stay and fight for his place.

If all this talk is smoke and mirrors then we should keep him and develop him along with the rest of the promising young lads as that is our only chance of getting out this league without significant backing

For me, the only way this makes sense (us apparently entertaining enquiries for Raya) is that we've sounded out a couple of experienced goalkeepers and we've found out that someone that's a definite upgrade is available and keen to join us. 

Mowbray goes over to India to see what funds he'll have to work with and in the meantime has opened tentative talks with Brentford, knowing that any decent funds from Venky's would enable him to sign this upgrade and displace Raya (who he's openly criticised despite backing him as his number 1).

Just spitballing.

• Like 1