BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeeper Situation

Let’s be blunt- he’s a good shot stopper but an absolute clown at times. The Birmingham game was the worst I’ve seen at Ewood in living memory from a keeper, for how it cost us. I don’t think having an inexperienced coach helps though. 

I reckon we’ve got another keeper lined up, and my money’s on Frank Fielding. 

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I'm really puzzled at the negativity towards the goalkeeping coach. Does somebody know something definitive about him not being up to snuff?

Well just guessing but maybe its what they see out there on the pitch every week? Perhaps they don't feel they need to know him personally?

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

So the goal-keeping coach is irrelevant then?

I haven't given it that much thought. Don't most clubs have a GK coach? I'm just wondering why ours is copping flack when he wasn't identified as a problem when Raya was getting rave reviews. Maybe he's become a bad GK coach? Maybe those that have genuine connections at the club can enlighten us? Or perhaps the GK coach needs to take his place in the stocks alongside Mowbray and Waggott. 

• Like 2

You simply can’t beat experience when it comes to coaches. People, especially younger ones, are motivated by someone who has been there and done it - as long as they have the communication skills. It brings about respect. A coach who has never done it is going to need some serious psychology experience as well as being tremendously analytical and able to communicate on lots of different levels. The one thing they can’t do though is show someone how to do it.

Personally, and I know 47er was being naughty, I think a good keeper coach is vital, and that person needs to have real experience of the game. There is no reason why the top 44 teams in the country shouldn’t have an ex top 44 goalkeeper as a coach - minimum.

Friedel was a consummate professional, has a fantastic record and has even taken up management (just been potted at his last role) so, if we could convince him it wasn’t a step down and to head back to Lancashire, it would be money well spent.

The goalkeeper is a vital position that every successful club has got right. They cannot afford to make mistakes, they will be beaten on occasion by quality but they need to have beyond normal concentration levels and be a little bit nuts. They are going to put their hands and head where other players are putting their boots. I think Raya’s injury has put some doubt in his mind and affected that. Worrying for himself and not just the ball. But that’s just my opinion of course!

The noises being made suggest that Raya will be replaced but if we are still relying on Leutweiler then we need to make sure we are not relying on Leutweiler. Maybe Mowbray has convinced himself that he is a viable alternative on a matchday. I’m less convinced.

This one will be an interesting watch. If we start the season with Raya, Leutweiler and Benson then it’s another minus against Mowbray. Talk as always is cheap.

Just now, Stuart said:

Friedel was a consummate professional, has a fantastic record and has even taken up management (just been potted at his last role) so, if we could convince him it wasn’t a step down and to head back to Lancashire, it would be money well spent.

So, who would be number 2? The Spaniard or the Canadian........

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

You simply can’t beat experience when it comes to coaches. People, especially younger ones, are motivated by someone who has been there and done it - as long as they have the communication skills. It brings about respect. A coach who has never done it is going to need some serious psychology experience as well as being tremendously analytical and able to communicate on lots of different levels. The one thing they can’t do though is show someone how to do it.

Personally, and I know 47er was being naughty, I think a good keeper coach is vital, and that person needs to have real experience of the game. There is no reason why the top 44 teams in the country shouldn’t have an ex top 44 goalkeeper as a coach - minimum.

The goalkeeper is a vital position that every successful club has got right. They cannot afford to make mistakes, they will be beaten on occasion by quality but they need to have beyond normal concentration levels and be a little bit nuts. They are going to put their hands and head where other players are putting their boots. I think Raya’s injury has put some doubt in his mind and affected that. Worrying for himself and not just the ball. But that’s just my opinion of course!

The noises being made suggest that Raya will be replaced but if we are still relying on Leutweiler then we need to make sure we are not relying on Leutweiler. Maybe Mowbray has convinced himself that he is a viable alternative on a matchday. I’m less convinced.

This one will be an interesting watch. If we start the season with Raya, Leutweiler and Benson then it’s another minus against Mowbray. Talk as always is cheap.

I agree with you regarding your goalkeeper being vital. When Brian Clough went out and broke the record  by signing Peter Shilton he said  " Nobody can lose you a game quicker than your goalkeeper so I want the best money can buy ". 

• Like 1

Raya's young and has plenty time to develop into a decent keeper but tbh I've never seen a potential Premier league great in him at all let's be honest since he was head and shoulders too good for the U23s he's been a little bit overhyped.

Great reflexes but a lot of basics need massive improvements and he's two full seasons In now as no1 although only one at Championship level obviously. Bleated on about it before but to me it was a right cock up leaving him on our bench for a season or two after he'd been on loan at Fleetwood and done well. They should 100% have had him out somewhere else for a bit learning his trade.

90% of being a good steady keeper is in the head if you can do the basics right it's all about judgement and communication next and this is where he still struggles plus he looks to be about 5'11" and sadly these days to be a real top keeper you need to be a good few inches taller. 

Definitely enough about him though to develop into a good Championship stopper he's just a kid still learning on the job so I wouldn't get rid of him unless there is a good experienced ready made no 1 available to come in although that will cost, would be worth it imo if he isn't old and could serve us a good few years.  Getting rid of any good player only makes sense if you replace them properly but personally I don't see Raya as a key player to the team like the Dacks, DGs, Lenihens etc but it would be crazy to cash in now just for the sake of it.

• Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

He has to pay for BB somehow. ;)

That's the worry, he could be looking to raise his own funds now after tying up all the spare in that mon.  I suspected he was trying to squeeze Nyambe out not long ago for that reason but he's since got a new deal so maybe not but you never know.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Raya's young and has plenty time to develop into a decent keeper but tbh I've never seen a potential Premier league great in him at all let's be honest since he was head and shoulders too good for the U23s he's been a little bit overhyped.

Great reflexes but a lot of basics need massive improvements and he's two full seasons In now as no1 although only one at Championship level obviously. Bleated on about it before but to me it was a right cock up leaving him on our bench for a season or two after he'd been on loan at Fleetwood and done well. They should 100% have had him out somewhere else for a bit learning his trade.

90% of being a good steady keeper is in the head if you can do the basics right it's all about judgement and communication next and this is where he still struggles plus he looks to be about 5'11" and sadly these days to be a real top keeper you need to be a good few inches taller. 

Definitely enough about him though to develop into a good Championship stopper he's just a kid still learning on the job so I wouldn't get rid of him unless there is a good experienced ready made no 1 available to come in although that will cost, would be worth it imo if he isn't old and could serve us a good few years.  Getting rid of any good player only makes sense if you replace them properly but personally I don't see Raya as a key player to the team like the Dacks, DGs, Lenihens etc but it would be crazy to cash in now just for the sake of it.

Not often I disagree with you tomphil but Raya is 25 in September! Still young for a keeper but you could hardly say "he's just a kid". Flowers was 26 when we signed him.

I think Raya went backwards this season after that game against West Brom.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

Not often I disagree with you tomphil but Raya is 25 in September! Still young for a keeper but you could hardly say "he's just a kid". Flowers was 26 when we signed him.

That's fair point although they do mature at different levels he's still only really two full seasons as a no 1 but I was still thinking of him as being 22/23 for some reason.

It comes back to what we said a few years ago, do we want to see them put a foot down and try and build a side for promotion or are we happy to see the club plod along developing players to sell and just pay its bills.

11 hours ago, scotchrover said:

Let’s be blunt- he’s a good shot stopper but an absolute clown at times. The Birmingham game was the worst I’ve seen at Ewood in living memory from a keeper, for how it cost us. I don’t think having an inexperienced coach helps though. 

I reckon we’ve got another keeper lined up, and my money’s on Frank Fielding. 

I'd rather have Raya! 

• Like 1

Raya is a bit older than I thought, so he may have reached his peak. I hope this isn't a signal the Canadian is going to be tried out. Fielding isn't that much better, Hart has been crap for years and I can't think of other keepers that have been linked. Saying all that, I would keep him unless there is a much better replacement in the bag.

All keepers at our level make mistakes, the very best keepers make mistakes (look at De Gea this season). Leeds’ keeper against Derby has played 25 times for Madrid, and he was awful. Raya is a good Championship keeper now, in a few years he will be a good Premier League keeper.

• Like 2

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 12:13, 47er said:

He's 24 in September, not 25.

• Like 1