BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeeper Situation

51 minutes ago, Stuart said:

An interesting opinion piece on Ben Winterbottom. Possibly agent talk but potentially a top talent that has slipped through our fingers.

https://the72.co.uk/132674/why-blackburn-made-a-mistake-letting-talented-young-keeper-go/

With the amount of info they seem to have on him, for an u-18 keeper, yeh it looks like agent talk to me. I'm not sure there's a debate to be had unless people have seen him play quite a bit or we had quotes from people in the game saying more than 'he'll be a good addition to the squad' like their youth manager was saying.

I was a little concerned by the article saying we only kept one player from our academy this spring. Is that right? Does that mean players who signed pro terms after graduating? Did we do this for others this year, but earlier than spring?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

With the amount of info they seem to have on him, for an u-18 keeper, yeh it looks like agent talk to me. I'm not sure there's a debate to be had unless people have seen him play quite a bit or we had quotes from people in the game saying more than 'he'll be a good addition to the squad' like their youth manager was saying.

I was a little concerned by the article saying we only kept one player from our academy this spring. Is that right? Does that mean players who signed pro terms after graduating? Did we do this for others this year, but earlier than spring?

I feel like there were two or three signed pro papers this season but can’t remember for sure.

18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

With phases such as "Him and Winterbottom"  it reads like a piece from a school magazine.

Ignore. 

It’s the modern era, Jim. Standards have slipped.

9 hours ago, rigger said:

Weeks ago some people were saying if you sign a class keeper you will get a better defence. I hope they are watching Arse tonight.

A quality keeper has to improve any defence. The two go hand in hand.

39 minutes ago, arbitro said:

A quality keeper has to improve any defence. The two go hand in hand.

A quality keeper can turn a good defence into an excellent defence, but cannot turn a bad defence into a good one. He might improve a bad defence, but they will still be bad.

I've always been a bit 50/50 with Raya and last season it was a combination of him and the defence not always being on the same wave length and for me a lot of it comes down to getting the 4 in there that suit it best and sticking with them.  Injuries and the urge to swap and change didn't help Raya at all last season to be fair and yet again it's another thing that needs ironing out by the manager.

For the points above I think the Leeds game is a good one to bring up he almost kept us in it single handedly late on but was undone at the death by the usual horrific ball watching and non reaction elsewhere at the death.  Two sides of him and the team in that game.

Then again this is a tough tough mad league.

20 hours ago, rigger said:

Weeks ago some people were saying if you sign a class keeper you will get a better defence. I hope they are watching Arse tonight.

lol still at it I see... Cech isn't what he once was and Kocielny doesn't look the same either. They've shipped 51 goals against in the Premier League with Leno between the sticks, and probably would have done the same if Cech was their first choice GK this season. Replace either with a De Gea or ter Stegen and they would concede less. Replace Papastathopoulos and concede even fewer goals. Replace Kocielny etc. 

We can replace Raya AND still sign both a LB and a CB - why is it that you refuse to see this?

Just now, Torgeir said:

lol still at it I see... Cech isn't what he once was and Kocielny doesn't look the same either. They've shipped 51 goals against in the Premier League with Leno between the sticks, and probably would have done the same if Cech was their first choice GK this season. Replace either with a De Gea or ter Stegen and they would concede less. Replace Papastathopoulos and concede even fewer goals. Replace Kocielny etc. 

We can replace Raya AND still sign both a LB and a CB - why is it that you refuse to see this?

Because money is tight and replacing Raya to me is a waste of that money 

4 hours ago, rigger said:

Because money is tight and replacing Raya to me is a waste of that money 

So we can splurge £7M on a young, unproven striker in the hope that he will come good in future years but we can't afford a smaller fee for arguably the most important man in the team? 

Says everything about the crazy state the club continues to be  in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

So we can splurge £7M on a young, unproven striker in the hope that he will come good in future years but we can't afford a smaller fee for arguably the most important man in the team? 

Says everything about the crazy state the club continues to be  in.

I agree that the 7 million may have been wasted, but that is gone and nothing can be done about it. I would hope that future signings would be more carefully looked into, as to what the team requires now.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I agree that the 7 million may have been wasted, but that is gone and nothing can be done about it. I would hope that future signings would be more carefully looked into, as to what the team requires now.

Its a difficult one this. That £7M probably has been wasted but we all hope the lad makes rapid strides in the next couple of seasons. Its what it tells us about the club's priorities that worries me most---and who decides them.

I wonder if actually having 2 real CBs would make Raya seem better. He's prone to mistakes I admit but when your 2 CBs are midfielders, who will also make errors, then surely Rayas are amplified? 

I hope TM thinks that too as I like him. 

• Like 2