BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lancashire Senior Cup Final. Rovers v That Lot

Funny. Rankin-Costello just went over to the hoarding behind the goal to ‘fretch’ Jack Evans (!) who climbed over to join his team mates and two stewards went on to remove him and Joe had to explain he is a player!

Just now, Stuart said:

Funny. Rankin-Costello just went over to the hoarding behind the goal to ‘fretch’ Jack Evans (!) who climbed over to join his team mates and two stewards went on to remove him and Joe had to explain he is a player!

I can think of a few in the past who probably would have had to explain they were players because it wasn't obvious what they were doing on the pitch....

Anyway great victory for the lads with a significantly weakened team this evening.

Edited by philipl

First half Burnley were better than us. They have some big lads at the back and two tricky wingers. I was disappointed with Rovers performance at half time.

Second half we started to play good passing football and looked much better. Rankin-Costello was very good as was Mols and Charlie Doyle. I thought Magloire had a stinker and Fisher in goal, his kicking was far worse than Raya or Leutwiler.

Jack Vale scored a good 2nd goal for us with a cracking shot. Butterworth was a bit greedy, losing the ball and also not shooting when he should have.

For me Buckley stood out as being ready for the first team squad.

Of course I hope I got the players right. I had to ask the chap next to me who was who early in the game. The programme didn't give numbers. Some I recognised and others I didn't.?

Edited by bazza
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bazza said:

First half Burnley were better than us. They have some big lads at the back and two tricky wingers. I was disappointed with Rovers performance at half time.

Second half we started to play good passing football and looked much better. Rankin-Costello was very good as was Mols and Charlie Doyle. I thought Magloire had a stinker and Fisher in goal, his kicking was far worse than Raya or Leutwiler.

Jack Vale scored a good 2nd goal for us with a cracking shot. Butterworth was a bit greedy, losing the ball and also not shooting when he should have.

For me Buckley stood out as being ready for the first team squad.

Of course I hope I got the players right. I had to ask the chap next to me who was who early in the game. The programme didn't give numbers. Some I recognised and others I didn't.?

Where we at the same game.

Buckley and in particular annesly where the worst two players in a rovers shirt and I'm a massive fan of Buckley. Annesly was truly awful.

Mols, Doyle and magloire where the stand out performers and Butterworth's energy was fantastic.

Not a great performance but a great win.

Well done lads

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

It was nice to see a Rovers team lifting a trophy particularly by beating them. Rovers didn't play too well on the night and at times overplayed in the wrong areas but it was a game I always felt we would win. Burnley to be fair pressed high up the pitch and frustrated us for long periods (much like their first team) but the extra quality was there to be seen.

Well done to Damien Johnson on a successful season. Four of his players made their first team debuts and ultimately that is what he is judged on.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I think you're thinking of the wrong game, John Mullin, who went on to play for Sunderland led the line for us ..... I must try to find the score ....

I think you maybe right. I'm fixated on a game played in the late 80's.

I note Mullin was with you from 92 to 95 and that you won the competition in the 92-93 season but not yet found any more detail.

Rovers have just increased their lead as the most successful Club in this competition, just thought I'd add that fact :rover:

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I think you maybe right. I'm fixated on a game played in the late 80's.

I note Mullin was with you from 92 to 95 and that you won the competition in the 92-93 season but not yet found any more detail.

Rovers have just increased their lead as the most successful Club in this competition, just thought I'd add that fact :rover:

Remember going to the Turd 3 years on the bounce I think in late 80's / early 90's for the Lancs Cup games but don't remember any Youth games with them around then though might be wrong.

Always around half the crowd from Blackburn in them and always marched in and out without being crushed by the big hairy dingles although there was always plenty bother.

Finnigans 40 yarder still lives long in the memory, only thing he ever did in blue and white, I always wonder how he ever ended up here ?

Just now, tomphil said:

Remember going to the Turd 3 years on the bounce I think in late 80's / early 90's for the Lancs Cup games but don't remember any Youth games with them around then though might be wrong.

Always around half the crowd from Blackburn in them and always marched in and out without being crushed by the big hairy dingles although there was always plenty bother.

Finnigans 40 yarder still lives long in the memory, only thing he ever did in blue and white, I always wonder how he ever ended up here ?

In those days I recall senior squads playing these games and decent crowds, the use of Youth teams in this format a later development.

Rovers have now won the Lancashire County Football Association Cup aka the Lancashire Senior Cup a total of 19 times, it's a very old Competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It was nice to see a Rovers team lifting a trophy particularly by beating them. Rovers didn't play too well on the night and at times overplayed in the wrong areas but it was a game I always felt we would win. Burnley to be fair pressed high up the pitch and frustrated us for long periods (much like their first team) but the extra quality was there to be seen.

Well done to Damien Johnson on a successful season. Four of his players made their first team debuts and ultimately that is what he is judged on.

I know it's obvious and been said by numerous people on numerous threads, but Damien Johnson is doing an absolutely sterling job.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

In those days I recall senior squads playing these games and decent crowds, the use of Youth teams in this format a later development.

Rovers have now won the Lancashire County Football Association Cup aka the Lancashire Senior Cup a total of 19 times, it's a very old Competition.

Yes the ones I recall were definitely first team pre season tournaments and cracking they were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I know it's obvious and been said by numerous people on numerous threads, but Damien Johnson is doing an absolutely sterling job.

Gets my vote for "Rover of the Season". How long is his contract?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Just 491 in attendance.

I am surprised at that, there appeared to be a lot more than that on the ground and the stand was full. The ticket office had said we had sold over 600 on Monday and there were a lot of Burnley fans there as well.

Edited by Hanks
grammer