BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Retained list 2018/2019 Season

Just now, bazza said:

I was hoping for contribution from people who know the under 23s better than me. e.g.Parson Blue, Stuart, Hollowsr etc.

Personally I’d keep him and give him a deal that protects our investment. Don’t think he is going to be challenging the first team just yet.

Just now, Stuart said:

Personally I’d keep him and give him a deal that protects our investment. Don’t think he is going to be challenging the first team just yet.

Thanks, Stuart. I've just wikied him. He made 9 appearances for Barrow in 2017, 0 appearances for Accy Stanley in 2018 and 15 apps scoring 2 goals for Southport in 2019.

Why send a player on loan to a club (Accy S ) who will never play him?

Just now, bazza said:

Thanks, Stuart. I've just wikied him. He made 9 appearances for Barrow in 2017, 0 appearances for Accy Stanley in 2018 and 15 apps scoring 2 goals for Southport in 2019.

Presumably experience.

7 hours ago, bazza said:

I think he made a few appearances for Stanley in the Checkatrade Trophy, I seem to remember they had a few wallopings in the games he played in.

I wonder if we've just announced those released that we had another year option on?

Then they can say they are in talks with the otheers so they casn wait until Mowbray comes back from India with the actual budget.

Because there's no way anyone sane would offer Gladwin a new contract!

Why on earth would we be in discussions with Gladwin? Absolutely no reason at all to keep him. 

Surprised about Leutwiler, likely means we are keeping Raya as number 1 next season with him as back up. So can't see us signing another keeper.

Conway should be released but always felt like TM would want to keep him around.

Gladwin was a decent player when Rovers signed him. They have nurtured him back to health and are probably hoping that he returns to more like the player he was, a la Rodwell. If it works, all good. If he fails through preseason then they can terminate at minimal cost. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be so quick to overreact about being in talks with Rodwell, Gladwin and Conway without knowing what's on the table. 

The article clearly states that they are free to talk to other clubs. I am sure Mowbray is giving them every chance to get a better deal elsewhere. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

What have I been saying all along about Leutwiler and Gladwin ????

Only reason he was getting a run was to be able to trigger that option !

Gladwin ? Stuck for words on that but this is TM all over he's a players man, just wait till the fun starts with Samuel who I fully expect will also earn a new deal.

As you were.....

• Like 1

I have been saying since Samuel went down with that big injury that he will be given a chance to prove himself next season, I didn't even think of Gladwin to be honest but I guess he falls into the same category.

Why we are giving Leutwiler an extension I don't know, a really poor keeper.

Rodwell yes I would like to keep if it's to play in CM, Conway really isn't needed here anymore.

And people are still expecting a glut of "first 11 ready" players to come in before August 8th, no chance i'm afraid.

• Like 2

Gladwin has spent two years injured and hasn’t ever stood out at League 1 level previously.

Can’t even begin to comprehend that one. Bet he thinks Christmas has come early.

That is not a retained list of a club looking at whole scale improvement of the squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Gladwin has spent two years injured and hasn’t ever stood out at League 1 level previously.

Can’t even begin to comprehend that one. Bet he thinks Christmas has come early.

That is not a retained list of a club looking at whole scale improvement of the squad.

Absolutely.

Another way of looking at it with guesstimates attached: If Leuts, Conway and Gladwin are all on £4k a week, it will take 2,000 season tickets bought for The Riverside to cover their cost.

Get rid, save the cost and let us in for nowt!

• Like 4

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It is only 3 players but yeah, you are right. I don't understand how Gladwin has managed to cling on when Downing has been sent on his way. Downing was a fantastic substitute centre half and has more of a role at this club than Gladwin.

QPR fans hated him, he hasn't done anything here but has been injured in fairness yet the pissed up gobshite attitude he has out and about hasn't helped ease any worries about him.

Downing must be wondering what's happened today with him going and Gladwin staying. WOW.

As for Conway and Rodwell I'm surprised by neither. Rodwell would be a good addition to the squad and I suppose a player like Conway should be given the respect of being able to weigh up options. We have to offer him something it's just what is offered that will define that decision. A player/coach role with limited playing time? He's a popular figure in the back room by all accounts so yeah, whatever, keep him around.

None of them have clung on, yet, though it is worrying that we're even entertaining ideas of keeping Gladwin and worrying that Leutwiler has got another year at the club's behest.

I think/hope this is probably Mowbray playing it safe again. Keep Conway/Rodwell dangling whilst he goes to India and discovers what the owners want to do. If they want to spend (unlikely) then he can get shut of these players, but if (more likely) Venkys say funds are limited then the likes of Conway and Rodwell might be as good as it gets and Leutwiler ticks all his boxes as a back up GK.

As ever, bewildering and concerning.

When we are told late in the summer that we were close to signing x y or z but couldn't quite stretch to the wages things like this come into play.

4k pwk each ?    You're having a giraffe !!!!

On the keeper side of things I expect no real changes but if they did land one from somewhere one of the others could always be loaned out we don't want to be starting the season with only one senior keeper.   Still think the big commanding keeper talk was just bluster though to give Raya a bit of a reality check nothing more.

Edited by tomphil