BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Retained list 2018/2019 Season

Gladwin or Butterworth ?

Leutwiler or Fisher ?

Conway or chapman

Not only is he wasting a wage, he's wasting our academy and stifling development of a rare crop of good young players who cost less and have something to prove.

We need new first team players. The likes of Evans, Bennett mulgrew etc pushed down the pecking order to be the equivalent of Conway last season and the young lads chomping at the bit.

Conway, Hart, Samuel, gladwin, leutwiler, Smallwood and nuttall are not needed at this club if we are aiming for more than survival.

Ffs Tony it's a football club not a charity. I'm fed up of the shite that comes out his mouth and then sitting watching us blow opportunities to improve. I don't expect top six ever in this league with the teams and unpredictable nature of the league but just once I'd like to believe we did everything right and had a good go ( no bowyer jokes) . Even if we failed. 

Fuming and the window isn't open yet

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 7

Gladwin is getting such special consideration due to his being a Mowbray signing.

Mowbray putting his own pride and standing with players before the interests of the Club he is supposed to be serving.

It looks like only Downing of the first team squad players soon out of contract is being moved on. If they were any use they would have already been offered terms.

The man says one thing to appease the fans and then does what suits him.

So much for cutting the wage bill to allow incoming.

Unless he already knows that the Vs are going to stump up big time. Yeah right.

• Like 1

Seriously, why on earth does Gladwin deserve another contract? Is it to give the physios someone to talk to? 

I feel bad for any player that has had a career plagued by injury but why are we paying him to be injured when we have a chance to use that wage elsewhere? he has barely played, been shite when he has, and has spent 99% of his Ewood career in the treatment room - lets give the lad another contract! 

“He won’t be ready for pre-season,” Mowbray said.

“It will be longer than pre-season.

“We have to support him through his injury and let’s hope he can get fit before January and then earn himself another deal.”

Astounding - it might not be until January that he is fit!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

“We have to support him through his injury and let’s hope he can get fit before January and then earn himself another deal.”

I am proud supporting a club which looks after its players so well and so considerately.

I am not in football but I know in business when a relatively small considerate and generous gesture gets known about and helps in perception as a place good people want to go to work at or do business with.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Earn himself ANOTHER deal?

This new ruthless, promotion-targeting Mowbray sounds a lot like the old loyalty-bound, I’ve-told-Venkys-to-keep-their-money-in-the-bank one.

• Like 2

Is it true, there are many who claim the owners poor running of the club means no budget has been agreed yet, but the same fans say the manager needs to be more ruthless?

Id argue these deals show there is money but only for certain targets, so why cut Rodwell and Conway before you know if there’s replacements coming in?

As for the other one, I’m not sure how Gladwin has or staying for 6 more months will stop the development of Butterworth, and I’m not sure how (as others point out) a short extension to his deal is going to cost the earth AND chances for lads in the academy. @Oldgregg86 - that’s aimed at you haha.

It’s not a major call in anyway, imo - I’m not sure how anyone could be seemingly so frustrated and upset, just another forward like Samuel who could potentially add something to the squad and will cost us basically nothing to keep to fight for his place. If we’d already seen a poor team ethic/spirit because of these players - id be more concerned.

As for the keeper situ - Raya is/was our ACADEMY keeper. So surely keeping the average backup makes more sense to keep Raya no1 - who will improve long term with games..

Thats if you’ve no intention of spending your limited budget in an area like GK - surely TM/Waggott knows most of our budget will probably be need to be spent on a centre back?

Just my two cents. To be honest I don’t think anyone could say “he’s saying one thing and doing another” when the season (playoffs) haven’t even finished yet ffs. The retained list isn’t the final squad list for next season!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Biz said:

As for the other one, I’m not sure how Gladwin has or staying for 6 more months will stop the development of Butterworth, and I’m not sure how (as others point out) a short extension to his deal is going to cost the earth AND chances for lads in the academy. @Oldgregg86 - that’s aimed at you haha.

Because just like Davenport has taken a midfield place this season, what's he played, 20-30 u23 games. The difference is davenport is a young decent player who has a future with us.

The rare outings the Butterworth and Buckley's get in the first team will be non existent because Samuel and gladwin will have earned game time. 

We need them gone. The fact he has been injured 2 YEARS  is a what makes the whole things laughable and undefendable. 

We are supposed to be improving, adding better quality , non of those players retained made an impact in league 1. 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Because just like Davenport has taken a midfield place this season, what's he played, 20-30 u23 games. The difference is davenport is a young decent player who has a future with us.

The rare outings the Butterworth and Buckley's get in the first team will be non existent because Samuel and gladwin will have earned game time. 

We need them gone. The fact he haD been injured 2 YEARS and is a what makes the whole things laughable and undefendable. 

We are supposed to be improving, adding better quality , non of those players retained made an impact in league. 

“We need them gone”... I just don’t see it like that Gregg. I don’t drink baileys from a shoe either...

Obviously the preference is additions, but as many say the budget is unknown, why would you bin off players you might struggle to replace?

Id also argue Conway has had a positive impact too. Maybe his potential new deal involves some coaching/community stuff? I wish we’d done that with more ex players.

In fairness to Mowbray I think the criticism should be reserved until we know the finer details of any potential deals he offers. I'd like to know his thinking about not keeping Downing though.

Out of curiosity would people be happy or frustrated at Jack Rodwell getting a deal? He's no centre half but I'm sure he can do a job in midfield for us still. The only issue with Rodwell is that last years deal was perfect for us taking into account past rumours of him refusing to play/seeing out long contracts but I doubt he will be up for another year long deal with no security.

A 2 year deal would be perfect

1 hour ago, Biz said:

“We need them gone”... I just don’t see it like that Gregg. I don’t drink baileys from a shoe either...

Obviously the preference is additions, but as many say the budget is unknown, why would you bin off players you might struggle to replace?

Id also argue Conway has had a positive impact too. Maybe his potential new deal involves some coaching/community stuff? I wish we’d done that with more ex players.

Do you do water colours ?

Well I think that's where our wires crossed slightly. I don't think we would struggle to replace them if we brought nobody in. Gladwin was dire the few games he played and didn't play once last season. Leutwiler is poor and only played through sentiment. 

We have a very good crop of kids coming through. Teams like Leeds and Norwich have all pushed the cream of their youth academy into the squad and bought Abit of quality. I'd rather see Chapman, Butterworth, Buckley, Rankin Costello pushed further up the pecking order than further down it. 

If we do add quality like he leads us to believe it's another player taking a wage, taking a youth players place on the bench and in u23 games and in an extreme scenario leaves an unhappy player not getting game time and/or a disallusioned youth academy who also are probably sick of hearing mowbray say your chance will come. I don't class 15 minutes off the bench and one start a fair chance.

This squad needs a fresh Injection and a good trimming.

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

We've seen enough of Samuel and more importantly how Mowbray prefers to use him to know he won't improve the squad at all and that's not a dig at him I hope he gets fit but he brings very little.

Gladwin TM signed him then never really fancied him when he was fit to play and when he did apart from maybe one game I recall he always looked like he couldn't be arsed being here yet we got the old 'he bangs them in on the training ground' - sure sign of a gaffer trying to justify a dud signing that if ever there was one ?

Conway does at least prove useful now and again but as for the other two lets not be polishing any turds we know exactly what to expect and if you are looking to strengthen the squad yet don't want to or can't oust some of the more established players then this is right where you start your pruning.

Also just remember TM constantly paps on about not having a squad too big to manage so it keeps harmony better and you haven't got loads sulking because they aren't playing regularly ?   His words not mine so do we really think he's retaining everybody then going out signing another load of players ????

Give over this is a sure sign of what's coming i.e probably not much really let's just hope he gets it right.

• Like 1

At this point of the (almost) close season, I am willing to look at this retained list as a sign of pragmatism from the management. we don't know what terms Conway, Leutweiler, or Rodwell have been offered. Who is to say the 'talks' will end with fresh contracts?

That said - the rousing interview given to BBC Lancs has the potential to fester in a steaming heap if it isn't followed up with decisive action in the market.

It is far too early to call at this point in time, but I do recall similar brave words turning to ash during the last summer window.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, philipl said:

I am proud supporting a club which looks after its players so well and so considerately.

I am not in football but I know in business when a relatively small considerate and generous gesture gets known about and helps in perception as a place good people want to go to work at or do business with.

An organisation or company ‘s greatest asset is its workforce, never forget that. philipl is spot on here, Rovers looking after an injured player sends a message out to the other players that is priceless. At the back of every players mind is the thought that it could be them in that position. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Biz said:

Is it true, there are many who claim the owners poor running of the club means no budget has been agreed yet, but the same fans say the manager needs to be more ruthless?

Id argue these deals show there is money but only for certain targets, so why cut Rodwell and Conway before you know if there’s replacements coming in?

It’s not a major call in anyway, imo - I’m not sure how anyone could be seemingly so frustrated and upset, just another forward like Samuel who could potentially add something to the squad and will cost us basically nothing to keep to fight for his place. If we’d already seen a poor team ethic/spirit because of these players - id be more concerned.

As for the keeper situ - Raya is/was our ACADEMY keeper. So surely keeping the average backup makes more sense to keep Raya no1 - who will improve long term with games..

Thats if you’ve no intention of spending your limited budget in an area like GK - surely TM/Waggott knows most of our budget will probably be need to be spent on a centre back?

Just my two cents. To be honest I don’t think anyone could say “he’s saying one thing and doing another” when the season (playoffs) haven’t even finished yet ffs. The retained list isn’t the final squad list for next season!

The key issue is that Mowbray and Waggott have both discussed many times about not having unlimited fund and having to cut our cloth accordingly and look for value, that every penny counts.

I cant believe that people are defending the Gladwin deal. This is a player who has been drawing a wage for 2 years in which time hes never started a League game. He has been paid for the last 18 months in which hes been injured. It would be a noble and understandable gesture to allow him to use the facilities

The goalkeeper weve retained is blatantly not up to standard though. Mowbray said the other week hes bringing one in so your hypothesis that essentially we are sticking with the 2 we have is either wrong or something has changed since he said it. If he is still bringing one in then theres absolutely no need for a senior third choice keeper. Again, money down the drain.

You say Samuel could add something, he was sub standard in League 1 (not scoring post November) and again has since had a major injury. We are supposedly after a new striker (again Mowbray has said as such) and thats on top of our player of the season and a striker he blew 7m on, and another who sees himself as a striker who cost 2m himself. How many strikers do we need?

Hes also given Conway a new deal, does he fit into this new style (high energy, technical, full of young players) Mowbray seems eager to move towards? No. 

Its clear that we need a few players coming in to boost the starting 11. Who is going out to make way on the wage budget? 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The key issue is that Mowbray and Waggott have both discussed many times about not having unlimited fund and having to cut our cloth accordingly and look for value, that every penny counts.

I cant believe that people are defending the Gladwin deal. This is a player who has been drawing a wage for 2 years in which time hes never started a League game. He has been paid for the last 18 months in which hes been injured. It would be a noble and understandable gesture to allow him to use the facilities

The goalkeeper weve retained is blatantly not up to standard though. Mowbray said the other week hes bringing one in so your hypothesis that essentially we are sticking with the 2 we have is either wrong or something has changed since he said it. If he is still bringing one in then theres absolutely no need for a senior third choice keeper. Again, money down the drain.

You say Samuel could add something, he was sub standard in League 1 (not scoring post November) and again has since had a major injury. We are supposedly after a new striker (again Mowbray has said as such) and thats on top of our player of the season and a striker he blew 7m on, and another who sees himself as a striker who cost 2m himself. How many strikers do we need?

Hes also given Conway a new deal, does he fit into this new style (high energy, technical, full of young players) Mowbray seems eager to move towards? No. 

Its clear that we need a few players coming in to boost the starting 11. Who is going out to make way on the wage budget? 

Gladwin hasn't got a "deal". He is contracted at the club for now and still hasn't been formally offered an extension.

I don't see anything wrong with getting a deal for Leutweiler. If anything it says more about his confidence in the youth keepers we have. He obviously isn't prepared to risk going into the new season with one of them as number 2 if he fails to land a keeper.

Samuel is contracted to the club. We won't be able to sell him so obvious solution is to keep him.......

Conway hasn't got a new deal either.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Compassion? Proud to support the club because of its compassion? What nonsense. Where was the compassion two summers ago for the large number of staff laid off by the club during that infamous audit?

Clearly wrong, but 2 wrongs don't make a right. 

I could be wrong on this, but it was agency staff wasn't it? 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Rich Sharpe doing a Q&A at the moment on the retained list. States we are still after a new 'keeper, the Gladwin situation is different to Conway/Rodwell and TM goes to India on Saturday.

Saturday, the 20th of May 2019. After we have known what division we have been in since what, the 9th of April? I have no issue with him going, but conversations about budgets should have happened a month ago.  

He is over there for the week I think, isn't he? Now there is a reality show I would watch on Sky one

Compassion - yes but to guys who've been earning thousands per week and know exactly how the game works. Sorry but this isn't a non league player and we aren't a charity even though we've resembled one for most of the past ten years.

If it's a 6 month deal on a grand per week whilst he gets himself sorted then that's commendable and fair enough but keeping him on the same terms then mulling over a new deal if he gets fit is bonkers because at the end of the day he's a poor player probably better suited to lower down the scale.

Anyway it remains to be seen but usually when TM drops hints on this kind of thing they then usually come true he's a stickler for better the devil you know, lads probably already been promised a fresh deal if he gets fit.  Maybe if he has to pack in the insurance will cover it i'm sure there'd have to be some angle on it to get it past the owns or their middleman at least.

Some good signings it'll be forgotten about but an underwhelming window and moans of little room in the budget then he'll rightfully get pelters for not freeing up some much needed space off that list.

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Saturday, the 20th of May 2019. After we have known what division we have been in since what, the 9th of April? I have no issue with him going, but conversations about budgets should have happened a month ago.  

He is over there for the week I think, isn't he? Now there is a reality show I would watch on Sky one

Item 1 on the agenda - another extension for Mr Mowbray and his crew ?

49 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

An organisation or company ‘s greatest asset is its workforce, never forget that. philipl is spot on here, Rovers looking after an injured player sends a message out to the other players that is priceless. At the back of every players mind is the thought that it could be them in that position. 

If that is the only thinking behind the Gladwin talks and we have pots of cash to spend on paying for someone off sick - while the rest of the organisation absorb that loss then ok, sort of.

However, more concerning for other players who could help us improve would be, at the back of their minds, are they thinking: “will I get game time at Blackburn where Mowbray picks his favourites? Could I end up like Rothwell?”.

All this sentiment is very noble but it takes away from the fact that we need the best players (and manager) to win football matches. Lest we end up like Bolton within a time frame because we didn’t get promoted.