BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Retained list 2018/2019 Season

30 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Gladwin hasn't got a "deal". He is contracted at the club for now and still hasn't been formally offered an extension.

I don't see anything wrong with getting a deal for Leutweiler. If anything it says more about his confidence in the youth keepers we have. He obviously isn't prepared to risk going into the new season with one of them as number 2 if he fails to land a keeper.

Samuel is contracted to the club. We won't be able to sell him so obvious solution is to keep him.......

Conway hasn't got a new deal either.

Technicalities, Gladwin and Conway have been offered new deals then which they shouldnt. When Gladwin did play he didnt look like he could be arsed. Allowing him to use the facilities to recuperate is a kind gesture, paying him to do so is absurd and a waste of money.

Samuel it was a response to a quoted paragraph, I wasnt inferring that we should or can release him. The best season hes had is the last one in terms of reputation. Hes not good enough and should be offered around for free if anyone wants him.

If the reasoning behind Luetweiler (a player not good enough) is in case during the whole summer we cant sign a keeper then its absurd. It also highlights the flaw of discovering a budget only after the retained list needs submitting.

I'd understand if Gladwin was a world-beater and we gave him a new deal in the vain hope that he would rekindle the magic, but he's done nothing and according to Mowbray the contract extension is based on feeling sorry for him.  

One of the recurring criticisms of Mowbray is that he's too loyal and not ruthless enough with the L1 squad. Loyalty is a valued characteristic but it can be a character flaw if it breeds favouritism, stagnation and short-sightedness.

Edited by Amo
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Compassion - yes but to guys who've been earning thousands per week and know exactly how the game works. Sorry but this isn't a non league player and we aren't a charity even though we've resembled one for most of the past ten years.

If it's a 6 month deal on a grand per week whilst he gets himself sorted then that's commendable and fair enough but keeping him on the same terms then mulling over a new deal if he gets fit is bonkers because at the end of the day he's a poor player probably better suited to lower down the scale.

Anyway it remains to be seen but usually when TM drops hints on this kind of thing they then usually come true he's a stickler for better the devil you know, lads probably already been promised a fresh deal if he gets fit.  Maybe if he has to pack in the insurance will cover it i'm sure there'd have to be some angle on it to get it past the owns or their middleman at least.

Some good signings it'll be forgotten about but an underwhelming window and moans of little room in the budget then he'll rightfully get pelters for not freeing up some much needed space off that list.

We are certainly "Not for profit" ! ?

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Technicalities, Gladwin and Conway have been offered new deals then which they shouldnt. When Gladwin did play he didnt look like he could be arsed. Allowing him to use the facilities to recuperate is a kind gesture, paying him to do so is absurd and a waste of money.

Samuel it was a response to a quoted paragraph, I wasnt inferring that we should or can release him. The best season hes had is the last one in terms of reputation. Hes not good enough and should be offered around for free if anyone wants him.

If the reasoning behind Luetweiler (a player not good enough) is in case during the whole summer we cant sign a keeper then its absurd. It also highlights the flaw of discovering a budget only after the retained list needs submitting.

Technicalities? No. Facts. You've criticised new deals for Conway and Gladwin but the fact remains they haven't got new deals.

I don't like Gladwin as a player or, if the rumours of his pissed up rants are true, a person either. His attitude annoyed me in the few performances he had for us. I'm not into buying the whole compassion thing either. Yet the fact remains that he hasn't got a new deal, so I have nothing to criticise TM for really. If he's using our facilities to get fit so what? We have a duty to him really and if him getting fit means he can move on then so be it.

I just don't get the overreaction. The only decision actually made is the release of Downing yet no one seems to care about that one - all of this is just conjecture. The day Gladwin gets a deal, the day you can make the claim he's had one and that TM has gone, seemingly, against his word of a overhaul. Until then the bloke is keeping three players on the hook. 

44 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Compassion? Proud to support the club because of its compassion? What nonsense. Where was the compassion two summers ago for the large number of staff laid off by the club during that infamous audit?

Here we are; about to give an extended deal to a presumably well-paid player who has done nothing for this club over the last two years. Even if it's at a reduced wage, that could go to somebody who actually contributes to the club. I understand that we have to have a squad with depth, but this is blatant freeloading.

That's a great point and pertinent to the debate. There is still some bitterness from good people who lost their jobs or had their hours cut because of sheer incompetence of the owners and people running the club. 

My real concern though is that Mowbray wants to keep players who simply aren't good enough and will add no value whilst costing not insignificant wages. We have under 23's who play in the positions (and probably better) of the likes of Conway and they will probably be sent out on loan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Saturday, the 20th of May 2019. After we have known what division we have been in since what, the 9th of April? I have no issue with him going, but conversations about budgets should have happened a month ago.  

He is over there for the week I think, isn't he? Now there is a reality show I would watch on Sky one

Is that an Irish calendar you are using ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Technicalities? No. Facts. You've criticised new deals for Conway and Gladwin but the fact remains they haven't got new deals.

I don't like Gladwin as a player or, if the rumours of his pissed up rants are true, a person either. His attitude annoyed me in the few performances he had for us. I'm not into buying the whole compassion thing either. Yet the fact remains that he hasn't got a new deal, so I have nothing to criticise TM for really. If he's using our facilities to get fit so what? We have a duty to him really and if him getting fit means he can move on then so be it.

I just don't get the overreaction. The only decision actually made is the release of Downing yet no one seems to care about that one - all of this is just conjecture. The day Gladwin gets a deal, the day you can make the claim he's had one and that TM has gone, seemingly, against his word of a overhaul. Until then the bloke is keeping three players on the hook. 

They shouldnt have been offered new deals was my point. Its not conjecture, hes been offered a new deal.

Im not even considering rumours about his personality, pissed up rants etc. Hes not started a league game in 2 years of paid employment, when he did play in the cups his attitude was terrible, so ultimately we owe him nothing. But as a decent club, by all means let him use our facilities to get back to fitness. A paid contract out of pity makes a mockery out of our constant and understandable desire to bring costs down and work to a budget.

Downing, like Leutweiler, Gladwin and Conway is not good enough, the reason people havent criticised the decision to not offer him a new deal is because he shouldnt be offered one either.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Whilst I don’t want Conway or Gladwin in the team I like the shoots of humanity we see sometime.

Gladwin will hate being injured and seeing what career he has slipping away, sounds more like he may be allowed to stay around out of contract and use the facilities.

Footballers May have the easy life but the Sunderland documentary showed just how they can be affected mentally when injured it can be a lonely place.

Then again I’ve just been on a conference all about Corporate social responsibility and the like so I may be seeing the world a bit more rosy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think the only reason the downing one is being let slide is because it was done to death months ago and we knew he was leaving that's why 'players man' TM loaned him out and left us up the creek until he faffed about and dropped Mulgrew to let Williams find his feet along with Lenihen coming back to fitness and form and somewhat pulling him out the mire.

That in itself is a good example of why team and points should come first not the feelings of individual players because it could have cost us dearly.

21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think the only reason the downing one is being let slide is because it was done to death months ago and we knew he was leaving that's why 'players man' TM loaned him out and left us up the creek until he faffed about and dropped Mulgrew to let Williams find his feet along with Lenihen coming back to fitness and form and somewhat pulling him out the mire.

That in itself is a good example of why team and points should come first not the feelings of individual players because it could have cost us dearly.

I believe mowbray bought him and let him out on loan as a favour to one of his old mates, who happens to be Downings dad or uncle( cant remember which)

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I believe mowbray bought him and let him out on loan as a favour to one of his old mates, who happens to be Downings dad or uncle( cant remember which)

Wouldn't surprise me at all and also he had the reserve keeper at Boro was it years back so that was always a nailed on new deal I think. It's no wonder he's so popular really, he's a very loyal and fair man is our Tone he even got a mate of his a gig to be his so called boss !

Like I said before forget the basket case stuff a job at Ewood for the right people is one of the best in football if you learn how to play it and at least have some idea of what you are doing. Owners thousands of miles away, will say yes to most reasonable requests and let you get on with it if they like you and you toe their line and are nice to their friends.

He got some good players in at West Brom and Boro when he had a couple of quid to play with so let's hope he's now rooting in that contact book again not his personal old mates one.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

They shouldnt have been offered new deals was my point. Its not conjecture, hes been offered a new deal.

Im not even considering rumours about his personality, pissed up rants etc. Hes not started a league game in 2 years of paid employment, when he did play in the cups his attitude was terrible, so ultimately we owe him nothing. But as a decent club, by all means let him use our facilities to get back to fitness. A paid contract out of pity makes a mockery out of our constant and understandable desire to bring costs down and work to a budget.

Downing, like Leutweiler, Gladwin and Conway is not good enough, the reason people havent criticised the decision to not offer him a new deal is because he shouldnt be offered one either.

Has Insurance been covering Gladwins wages whilst injured?

If so - not much to lose by giving him a chance on a 6 month Deal

15 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I think Rodwell will get other better offers (moneywise). He looks like a career professional who is impervious to Mowbray’s old man of football approach.

Conway could get offers back in Scotland. More chance of him taking on the loyalty badge but he still has bills to pay.

20 hours ago, arbitro said:

That's a great point and pertinent to the debate. There is still some bitterness from good people who lost their jobs or had their hours cut because of sheer incompetence of the owners and people running the club. 

No, didn't they lose their jobs because fans failed to turn up? It was our fault!

That's what I remember reading on here!   :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, arbitro said:

My real concern though is that Mowbray wants to keep players who simply aren't good enough and will add no value whilst costing not insignificant wages. We have under 23's who play in the positions (and probably better) of the likes of Conway and they will probably be sent out on loan.

Agreed. Excellent points by both you and @OnePhilT - which I missed so thanks for quoting.

Halo effect: There seems to be an accepting of everything that the club does while Mowbray is here as positive and right, and anyone who questions anything as negative or irrational. There was a post from someone having a proper rant about the “over-reaction” to basically disappointment about us being “in talks” with a player who even when fully fit was useless. Something which is already contrary Mowbray’s close season rhetoric.

Instead of blocking their paths with mediocre players, we need to spend more time nurturing our young talent like Buckley or Butterworth, or even the less obvious Davenport. If we can get better value in the transfer market then fine but they need to be proven Championship-level talent as we already have plenty of potential. If players don’t make the grade then sorry but that’s professional football. If you don’t like it go and get a proper job.

• Like 4

People of around 20 years service got potted but let's all feel sorry for a five to ten grand a week player whos contract is nearly up ...

Actually would those jobs have been cut if we had Mowbray & Waggot in charge back then ?    Not so sure to be honest let's face it we had a Preston shelf seller and a part time accountant running the club who probably had very little day to day dealing with some of those people or any clue what they actually contributed.

Things have changed for the better despite some head scratching stuff still.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I think Rodwell will get other better offers (moneywise). He looks like a career professional who is impervious to Mowbray’s old man of football approach.

Conway could get offers back in Scotland. More chance of him taking on the loyalty badge but he still has bills to pay.

If I was Conway I'd have my agent calling Bury, accy,  etc...