BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Retained list 2018/2019 Season

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Big wage, but I wouldn't imagine it will impact massively on who we bring in. He certainly needs to improve defensively, but his set piece delivery could come in handy

I would rather we didn't focus too much on it in all honesty. 0 assists for Mulgrew this season so his set pieces are only useful if they go in. 10 goals sounds good but considering we picked up very few points in games Mulgrew scored in, I'd be happy to go without!

• Backroom
Just now, OJRovers said:

Put Mulgrew next to someone who is great in the air and he'd be fine. You can't discount the impact of the set-pieces. Where would we be without those goals last season and this season?

Not sure about last season, but this season it wouldn't have made any difference as I think we only gained 2 or 3 points from the games he scored in. 

Just now, DE. said:

I would rather we didn't focus too much on it in all honesty. 0 assists for Mulgrew this season so his set pieces are only useful if they go in. 10 goals sounds good but considering we picked up very few points in games Mulgrew scored in, I'd be happy to go without!

I dont think the two things are linked. If mulgrew had a good team around him with proper protection from midfield and his fellow defenders then hed be a quality championship defender 

• Backroom
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I dont think the two things are linked. If mulgrew had a good team around him with proper protection from midfield and his fellow defenders then hed be a quality championship defender 

As soon as he was out of the team we noticeably improved and went on a run of good form. If people want to chalk that up to coincidence then OK, but it's a fact that we had much better results with Lenihan and Williams at the back. To say the rest of the team is the problem is burying your head in the sand and ignoring evidence, imo. Mulgrew has been a good servant for us, no question, but his time as a first teamer is over. If the midfielders contribute more to the goals scored column and the defence tightens up we will be fine without Mulgrew's set pieces. That's where we should be aiming. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

Indeed and I was vocal in how much we improved defensively when he didn't play, but if we are a goal down with 10 minutes to go his set pieces, be it a corner or free kick, could be very useful 

Hanley was club captain at Norwich and I think he only started 3 games this season 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Indeed and I was vocal in how much we improved defensively when he didn't play, but if we are a goal down with 10 minutes to go his set pieces, be it a corner or free kick, could be very useful 

Hanley was club captain at Norwich and I think he only started 3 games this season 

I won't be devastated if we keep Mulgrew, I'd only be concerned if he was a starter come August. He should definitely be a bench option, and perhaps even as a DM/CM rather than a CB. I wouldn't expect him to be able to play the whole match in midfield but I'm sure he could manage 10-15 minutes.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I won't be devastated if we keep Mulgrew, I'd only be concerned if he was a starter come August. He should definitely be a bench option, and perhaps even as a DM/CM rather than a CB. I wouldn't expect him to be able to play the whole match in midfield but I'm sure he could manage 10-15 minutes.

Not a starter and not even first choice sub for CB.

Exactly, I am sure he could manage a cameo in centre midfield 

• Backroom
Just now, darrenrover said:

Surely we shouldn't be contemplating retaining any players on the basis of an occasional 10/15 minute cameo from the bench? (Mulgrew/Conway)

Mulgrew's contract isn't up until 2021 so unless somebody else picks up his wages we're stuck with him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's had protection. We play two DM's. Mulgrew is slow, bad in the air, weak in the challenge and a poor marker. He's nowhere near being a quality Championship defender. 

• Like 3

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

We are still short at the back and sides so Craig could combine that with some coaching.

Rumour is he only wants 1k a week. A snip at that price.

The thing is, with Mulgrew and Conway, you have 2 senior players, one of whom whose contract was going to expire this summer and one whose still does, both of whom are clearly well past their best, and both of whom are prime candidates to jettison if the manager has developed the ruthless streak that we have all speculated about in the past following comments he made about giving players we had in League 1 a chance. Its easy to say "they can come on for 10 minutes here and there" but ultimately they will be evidence that the strong, aggressive push towards a top 6 place is perhaps not as likely to materialise as we hope.

• Like 1