BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What have I missed?

Hi everyone,

A bit of background....I was a st holder in the blackburn end for quite a few seasons and went to most away games before I left the UK and moved to Cz in 2006. My last season ticket was 07/08 but I only flew over for the derby. The following seasons in the premier league I still followed everything as most games were shown here in pubs etc but starting with the Steve Kean mess and the relegation it started going downhill and was harder to keep up. I've been to the odd game over the last few years but I definitely miss it and have decided to get a season ticket for 19/20 then on fixture day book a load of cheap flights and try to get over at least once or twice a month.

So...my question....what have I missed? I see attendances are slowly improving. Do we still hate venky's or are most fans thinking they were stupid and naive when they came in and are now investing and making better decisions? I assume the majority are happy for Tony Mowbray to stay and continue to build. There are always going to be fans doubting him but surely last season has to be looked at as being a fairly decent one?

I noticed away support has been great. Is it hard to get tickets in general? Before I distanced myself there was the whole Derek Shaw saga. I dont know much about Steve Waggott....I'm assuming he's no John Williams but how is he doing?

How is the matchday experience these days? Is there at least adecent enough feeling around the club and a bit of excitement?

Thanks!

It’s been shit. Really shit.

We are afraid to say we’ve turned a corner in case it turns to shit again but for now at least the talk is about football rather than the idiots.

Not sure if there is an appetite to rake it all up again but I guess we’ll find out.

17 hours ago, Blackpool_Rover said:

Hi everyone,

A bit of background....I was a st holder in the blackburn end for quite a few seasons and went to most away games before I left the UK and moved to Cz in 2006. My last season ticket was 07/08 but I only flew over for the derby. The following seasons in the premier league I still followed everything as most games were shown here in pubs etc but starting with the Steve Kean mess and the relegation it started going downhill and was harder to keep up. I've been to the odd game over the last few years but I definitely miss it and have decided to get a season ticket for 19/20 then on fixture day book a load of cheap flights and try to get over at least once or twice a month.

So...my question....what have I missed? I see attendances are slowly improving. Do we still hate venky's or are most fans thinking they were stupid and naive when they came in and are now investing and making better decisions? I assume the majority are happy for Tony Mowbray to stay and continue to build. There are always going to be fans doubting him but surely last season has to be looked at as being a fairly decent one?

I noticed away support has been great. Is it hard to get tickets in general? Before I distanced myself there was the whole Derek Shaw saga. I dont know much about Steve Waggott....I'm assuming he's no John Williams but how is he doing?

How is the matchday experience these days? Is there at least adecent enough feeling around the club and a bit of excitement?

Thanks!

Last two years apart, plus a few false dawns with GB and PL, it’s been largely dreadful.

That said - league one was a successful season, fun at home and on the road. This after a poor start too.

The squad has also been overhauled, most of the older/loans replaced by younger players from the u23s or signed by the current manager.

In my opinion we have a real platform to go forward - and whilst I’d be the first person to remind anyone why we ended up here, it’s hard to ignore the advantage that keeping our academy going, and investing above the turnover is giving us.

Only time will tell - much relies upon Mowbray, and despite your assumption he is well backed, a recent poll here only turned in favour of keeping after the season ended.

For me though, TM will be remembered as a great manager, even if mid table championship is ultimately his pinnacle for us, and he is replaced. 

He’s seemingly changed the mindset of the club from top to bottom. If I’m only using my own perception, the club feels better - one example is the work rate on the pitch.

Bennett is often criticised for his inclusion, but he sets a standard above any rovers team since Big Sam for sheer effort, grit and determination. It’s infectious, it comes from the manager and the team spirit they’ve created. It’s no coincidence the u23s like Travis, Nyambe and new signings like Armstrong and Rothwell are improving their efforts to match.

Ofcourse things can turn sour quickly in football, and I’m sure we all know that (to partially quote Tony Mowbray) “if I can’t get this done or enough wins to get up, they’ll get someone else in”. Either way I’ll be grateful for the job he’s done in 26 months or so.

If you’d rather get a proper catchup, check out the BRFCS podcast with Don Mackay and the Under the Cosh podcast with David Dunn to get two very well informed opinions on Mowbray and Rovers current position.

• Like 2

On 15/05/2019 at 10:05, Biz said:

Last two years apart, plus a few false dawns with GB and PL, it’s been largely dreadful.

That said - league one was a successful season, fun at home and on the road. This after a poor start too.

The squad has also been overhauled, most of the older/loans replaced by younger players from the u23s or signed by the current manager.

In my opinion we have a real platform to go forward - and whilst I’d be the first person to remind anyone why we ended up here, it’s hard to ignore the advantage that keeping our academy going, and investing above the turnover is giving us.

Only time will tell - much relies upon Mowbray, and despite your assumption he is well backed, a recent poll here only turned in favour of keeping after the season ended.

For me though, TM will be remembered as a great manager, even if mid table championship is ultimately his pinnacle for us, and he is replaced. 

He’s seemingly changed the mindset of the club from top to bottom. If I’m only using my own perception, the club feels better - one example is the work rate on the pitch.

Bennett is often criticised for his inclusion, but he sets a standard above any rovers team since Big Sam for sheer effort, grit and determination. It’s infectious, it comes from the manager and the team spirit they’ve created. It’s no coincidence the u23s like Travis, Nyambe and new signings like Armstrong and Rothwell are improving their efforts to match.

Ofcourse things can turn sour quickly in football, and I’m sure we all know that (to partially quote Tony Mowbray) “if I can’t get this done or enough wins to get up, they’ll get someone else in”. Either way I’ll be grateful for the job he’s done in 26 months or so.

If you’d rather get a proper catchup, check out the BRFCS podcast with Don Mackay and the Under the Cosh podcast with David Dunn to get two very well informed opinions on Mowbray and Rovers current position.

Excellent stuff. Thanks a lot for that!