BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton Wanderers Unpaid Staff Need Food bank.

23 minutes ago, m1st said:

Why am I the only one to have 'Liked' this post? ? It may be an old joke, but that doesn't mean it isn't funny. Specially in the context of That Lot!

Anyway it, literally, made me lol!

He only posted it an hour ago. Give us a chance to finish work!

Duly laughed and liked.

35 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

What a load of old nonsense - of course it wasn’t up to the professional level but believe me it was a school of hard knocks and the Blackburn Sunday league (at the top end of it) was akin to semi professional football in the late 70s and early 80s. Most of the lads we played with and against would be turning out for the likes of Accy Stanley, Great Harwood, Darwen etc on Saturdays. And plenty of ex pros like Metcalfe and Marshall Burke played in it too.

Nonsense? No chance. I'm not the one saying that getting booted every game by lads playing Blackburn Sunday league in the 70's is akin to the physical stress put on a League 1 footballer today. Getting kicked from pillar to post by a hungover thug is not at all comparable to the rigours of professional football.

I'm in my early 40's and witnessed the inception of the sports science era. Football has moved on. Training methods, nutrition, targeted weight training, mental focus activities and the like is now standard across all 4 English pro leagues and down. The game is so much faster - and I'm not saying that pro's from back then weren't good, or wouldn't be today - players are better trained and in better shape. This enables a game to be played with more intensity, which for a young player if not managed well will do them harm.

Just look at today's players. They are built like Olympians.

Here's 30+ James Milner;

th?id=OIP.vskxem3DNYGlbEkofjwmHAHaJv&pid

For comparison here is Graeme Souness (one of the best midfielders to have played the game) and Trevor Steven. Both fit but with nowhere near as much muscle mass;

graeme-souness3_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqx4xac64PYZDl5dYfZ_Bhmhz7tre9PDcorWUnNHaMb2g.jpg?imwidth=480

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

Nonsense? No chance. I'm not the one saying that getting booted every game by lads playing Blackburn Sunday league in the 70's is akin to the physical stress put on a League 1 footballer today. Getting kicked from pillar to post by a hungover thug is not at all comparable to the rigours of professional football.

I'm in my early 40's and witnessed the inception of the sports science era. Football has moved on. Training methods, nutrition, targeted weight training, mental focus activities and the like is now standard across all 4 English pro leagues and down. The game is so much faster - and I'm not saying that pro's from back then weren't good, or wouldn't be today - players are better trained and in better shape. This enables a game to be played with more intensity, which for a young player if not managed well will do them harm.

Just look at today's players. They are built like Olympians.

Here's 30+ James Milner;

th?id=OIP.vskxem3DNYGlbEkofjwmHAHaJv&pid

For comparison here is Graeme Souness (one of the best midfielders to have played the game) and Trevor Steven. Both fit but with nowhere near as much muscle mass;

graeme-souness3_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqx4xac64PYZDl5dYfZ_Bhmhz7tre9PDcorWUnNHaMb2g.jpg?imwidth=480

My “what a load of old nonsense” was in response to your assertion that there wasn’t much running in the Sunday league. Pretty ignorant  point of view tbh. It wasn’t just about getting kicked from pillar to post at that level. As is the view that an 18 year old can’t hack 3 games a week in the lower leagues (and it isn’t every week anyway). Presumably they are all built like Olympians as well?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

My “what a load of old nonsense” was in response to your assertion that there wasn’t much running in the Sunday league. Pretty ignorant  point of view tbh. It wasn’t just about getting kicked from pillar to post at that level. As is the view that an 18 year old can’t hack 3 games a week in the lower leagues (and it isn’t every week anyway). Presumably they are all built like Olympians as well?

Ignorant? No. I’m realistic. I think that you need to take your rose tinted glasses off. You will never convince me that Sunday league football is full of runningLads playing park football are a million miles away from the professional game. It’s the lowest level of competition there is; amateur football for people that want a game. I grew up in the 80’s across the road from corporation pitches. I watched game after game every weekend when I was a kid. I saw a lot of beer bellied lads enjoying themselves. I didn’t see finely tuned athletes honing their craft. 

The “lower leagues” as you stated are 10 pillars or more above Sunday league football. It doesn’t warrant comparison. 

Oh and I forgot to add - the example you gave (Milner) has been playing regular premier league football since he was 16. United’s class of 92 did okay as well, Rooney etc etc. You seem to think I’m comparing amateur football to the pro game - i’m not that silly (although your watching of a few Blackburn Combination 5th division games seems to have coloured your view on amateur football). My argument is playing young lads (and we are talking 18/19/20 year olds here not 16 year olds), needn’t be to their detriment. They will learn more and learn faster being fast tracked.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Some Bolton fans now talking about hoping the club calls of its Tuesday home game so as to protect the young players...WTF!?

Might not be in their best interests to push their luck after the Brentford postponement most level headed folk would be thinking :rolleyes:

Well, they got away with Brentford so why not try again?

Tomorrow’s game called off. Looks as if things are nosediving fast

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/statement-on-behalf-of-paul-appleton-joint-administrator-for-bolton-wanderers3/

Two games now called of by the club themselves... surely a further points deduction has to follow?

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Tomorrow’s game called off. Looks as if things are nosediving fast

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/statement-on-behalf-of-paul-appleton-joint-administrator-for-bolton-wanderers3/

Two games now called of by the club themselves... surely a further points deduction has to follow?

Oh dear, last thing the League will want is another headache with a cancelled game. The Brentford one had almost been consigned to history. 

Failing to play Brentford when due

Failing to rearrange the Brentford game when directed to do so by the League 

Failing to play Doncaster when due

3 separate offences and not a single point deducted for it. Can imagine one or two League One clubs will be kicking off before long about this. 

• Like 3

I don't believe that Bolton will be going out of the league. Bury yes but still expect this Dale bloke to hand them over to someone else before it comes to expulsion. 

I can see the League becoming more imaginative in terms of the 'support' they offer before allowing the humiliation of 2 clubs going out by September. The torrent of criticism towards them and their precious image will be overwhelming.

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't believe that Bolton will be going out of the league. Bury yes but still expect this Dale bloke to hand them over to someone else before it comes to expulsion. 

I can see the League becoming more imaginative in terms of the 'support' they offer before allowing the humiliation of 2 clubs going out by September. The torrent of criticism towards them and their precious image will be overwhelming.

The number of games needed to catch up plus the size of the points deductions are making a mockery of League 1 already.

No way could either club assemble even a half way capable League One squad from unattached players once the window has closed on 31 August.

Edited by philipl

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Best bit of the statement:

With so many senior players injured or unavailable, the squad has performed heroically and deserves so much credit.

What all three of them?

If they get through this, this episode could well galvanise the club and it’s supporters.

Young lads (16/17yo) giving their all for their club. Fans don’t forget things like that. Could be a few heroes being smelted in the furnace of oblivion.

The wage bill there must be peanuts at the moment too.

On 16/08/2019 at 13:15, arbitro said:

It really does sum up the current snowflake society we live in when there are objections to kids playing three or four times a week. I remember when people played on Saturday, Sunday and midweek depending on the time of year (there probably still are some now).

And went to work/school too.

I agree. Though what league are they playing in where they are having to play 3-4 times a week? ?

Just now, Husky said:

I agree. Though what league are they playing in where they are having to play 3-4 times a week? ?

Schoolboy matches, club matches and night matches when the evenings are light enough.

Similarly lots of older players I knew played in Saturday and Sunday leagues and again there were midweek league matches and competitors like the Orphanage Cup locally which was always played in midweek.