Jump to content
StubbsUK

Bolton Wanderers Unpaid Staff Need Food bank.

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, m1st said:

Why am I the only one to have 'Liked' this post? 🤔 It may be an old joke, but that doesn't mean it isn't funny. Specially in the context of That Lot!

Anyway it, literally, made me lol!

He only posted it an hour ago. Give us a chance to finish work!

Duly laughed and liked. ✅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

What a load of old nonsense - of course it wasn’t up to the professional level but believe me it was a school of hard knocks and the Blackburn Sunday league (at the top end of it) was akin to semi professional football in the late 70s and early 80s. Most of the lads we played with and against would be turning out for the likes of Accy Stanley, Great Harwood, Darwen etc on Saturdays. And plenty of ex pros like Metcalfe and Marshall Burke played in it too.

 

Nonsense? No chance. I'm not the one saying that getting booted every game by lads playing Blackburn Sunday league in the 70's is akin to the physical stress put on a League 1 footballer today. Getting kicked from pillar to post by a hungover thug is not at all comparable to the rigours of professional football.

I'm in my early 40's and witnessed the inception of the sports science era. Football has moved on. Training methods, nutrition, targeted weight training, mental focus activities and the like is now standard across all 4 English pro leagues and down. The game is so much faster - and I'm not saying that pro's from back then weren't good, or wouldn't be today - players are better trained and in better shape. This enables a game to be played with more intensity, which for a young player if not managed well will do them harm.

Just look at today's players. They are built like Olympians.

Here's 30+ James Milner;

th?id=OIP.vskxem3DNYGlbEkofjwmHAHaJv&pid

For comparison here is Graeme Souness (one of the best midfielders to have played the game) and Trevor Steven. Both fit but with nowhere near as much muscle mass;

graeme-souness3_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqx4xac64PYZDl5dYfZ_Bhmhz7tre9PDcorWUnNHaMb2g.jpg?imwidth=480

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know why you picked Milner, he’s been in the news this summer because he’s now ‘hench’... however that photo of yours is an old one... he’s more Mr Muscle the drain cleaner there! :D

This is a better one...

 

 

7E5701E8-DE74-4500-9A22-5A2E5A139FA8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

Nonsense? No chance. I'm not the one saying that getting booted every game by lads playing Blackburn Sunday league in the 70's is akin to the physical stress put on a League 1 footballer today. Getting kicked from pillar to post by a hungover thug is not at all comparable to the rigours of professional football.

I'm in my early 40's and witnessed the inception of the sports science era. Football has moved on. Training methods, nutrition, targeted weight training, mental focus activities and the like is now standard across all 4 English pro leagues and down. The game is so much faster - and I'm not saying that pro's from back then weren't good, or wouldn't be today - players are better trained and in better shape. This enables a game to be played with more intensity, which for a young player if not managed well will do them harm.

Just look at today's players. They are built like Olympians.

Here's 30+ James Milner;

th?id=OIP.vskxem3DNYGlbEkofjwmHAHaJv&pid

For comparison here is Graeme Souness (one of the best midfielders to have played the game) and Trevor Steven. Both fit but with nowhere near as much muscle mass;

graeme-souness3_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqx4xac64PYZDl5dYfZ_Bhmhz7tre9PDcorWUnNHaMb2g.jpg?imwidth=480

My “what a load of old nonsense” was in response to your assertion that there wasn’t much running in the Sunday league. Pretty ignorant  point of view tbh. It wasn’t just about getting kicked from pillar to post at that level. As is the view that an 18 year old can’t hack 3 games a week in the lower leagues (and it isn’t every week anyway). Presumably they are all built like Olympians as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

My “what a load of old nonsense” was in response to your assertion that there wasn’t much running in the Sunday league. Pretty ignorant  point of view tbh. It wasn’t just about getting kicked from pillar to post at that level. As is the view that an 18 year old can’t hack 3 games a week in the lower leagues (and it isn’t every week anyway). Presumably they are all built like Olympians as well?

Ignorant? No. I’m realistic. I think that you need to take your rose tinted glasses off. You will never convince me that Sunday league football is full of running. Lads playing park football are a million miles away from the professional game. It’s the lowest level of competition there is; amateur football for people that want a game. I grew up in the 80’s across the road from corporation pitches. I watched game after game every weekend when I was a kid. I saw a lot of beer bellied lads enjoying themselves. I didn’t see finely tuned athletes honing their craft. 

The “lower leagues” as you stated are 10 pillars or more above Sunday league football. It doesn’t warrant comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and I forgot to add - the example you gave (Milner) has been playing regular premier league football since he was 16. United’s class of 92 did okay as well, Rooney etc etc. You seem to think I’m comparing the amateur football to the pro game - i’m not that silly (although your watching of a few Blackburn Combination 5th division games seems to have coloured your view on amateur football). My argument is playing young lads (and we are talking 18/19/20 year olds here not 16 year olds), needn’t be to their detriment. They will learn more and learn faster being fast tracked.

Edited by oldjamfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back down to earth with a bump...

...and with captain Jason Lowe at centre half! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Bolton fans now talking about hoping the club calls of its Tuesday home game so as to protect the young players...WTF!?

Might not be in their best interests to push their luck after the Brentford postponement most level headed folk would be thinking :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Some Bolton fans now talking about hoping the club calls of its Tuesday home game so as to protect the young players...WTF!?

Might not be in their best interests to push their luck after the Brentford postponement most level headed folk would be thinking :rolleyes:

Well, they got away with Brentford so why not try again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.